PDA

View Full Version : Sutter should be the next GM

Dmac_Oilfan
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Rich Sutter should be given the job as the next GM of the hurricanes. He has an extensive background in hockey and will immediately legitimize the organization. He has openly admitted he wants the job and I see know reason why he shouldn't be given an opportunity. He is passionate about city and wants the best for the hurricanes. Just like his brothers he wants a career in hockey management. His contacts within hockey are endless, which will only help in building a championship quality team. I think all the fans of the hurricanes need to let it be known that Sutter is the guy they want and tell the board to get it done and not screw things up. What we don't want to see is this incredible opportunity lost and another 10 years of musical chairs of gm's and mediocre hockey.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Rich Sutter should be given the job as the next GM of the hurricanes. He has an extensive background in hockey and will immediately legitimize the organization. He has openly admitted he wants the job and I see know reason why he shouldn't be given an opportunity. He is passionate about city and wants the best for the hurricanes. Just like his brothers he wants a career in hockey management. His contacts within hockey are endless, which will only help in building a championship quality team. I think all the fans of the hurricanes need to let it be known that Sutter is the guy they want and tell the board to get it done and not screw things up. What we don't want to see is this incredible opportunity lost and another 10 years of musical chairs of gm's and mediocre hockey.

Kill two birds with one stone. Sutter as Coach and GM. I feel he has the tools to be a good coach with his "Sutter" will to win. As far as GM I don't know. Does he have all the tools (and there are a lot required) to be a GM? We can only speculate but the board at least knows a lot about Sutter by now. Maybe they know to much bad stuff and don't want him around. His frankness and willingness to speak out in the press in the last few weeks may hurt his chances. After all, do you think the board is happy he came out and basically said the team is a disfunctional mess? Do you think that he had ulterior motives with his put down of Stasiuk? """Like let's get Roy fired and I'll be the next GM. After all I am a Sutter and how could they not hire me!""
As GM/coach at least we know they won't fight with each other in front of the players...............since they are the same guy! Also allows Sutter the chance to mold the team on and off the ice and we would know who fixed or screwed up the team. With the last 2 guys do we really know who was to blame? It seems like Stasiuk was from what we have heard, but if so, why did they let the coach go even before Roy?
I know the board would be in everyones good books if they hired Sutter for one or both available positions. The fans sure want that and hiring him will certainly take a lot of heat off the board members.

shushu
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
he would probably do well but, he should have not have been brought into the mix with dyck and roy..all that did was damage any chance of a fresh start....but again iagree, give him the gm position and let HIM hire a experianced coach so he can concentrate on the gm job and go from there...........

doc64
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Not to disagree with anyone, I think Sutter would probably do a fine job and as HR mentioned it would take alot of the focus off of the board. But is that what is really needed? Should the board take the "easy" way out and hand the reins over to Sutter just to make themselves look good?

I really hope that Sutter is in the mix when it comes time to interview for one or both positions if it really does become a combined job, but what I want to see more from the board is to do the job they have been elected to do. Find the right guy or guys for the job. If, after doing all their due diligence, Sutter is the guy, so be it. But if there is someone better suited out there, let's get him.

Let's just not let them off the hook too easily.

BugsBunny
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
The board is responsible for the mess that has been created again. This time around when the acting gm, the president and vice-president get back from their ill-timed vacations, they must ensure that they interview each candidate thoroughly and that includes all references and past work history. They made a big mistake in hiring coach Michael Dyck before hiring GM Stasiuk. Not to say that Roy would not have hired Michael, but he did not have a choice. That put both men in awkward positions. Certainly Brad Robson would be a good candidate, as would Rich Sutter (who did himself no favours by blasting the former gm and the organization). But there must be other candidates out there and as mentioned by LP, the hiring committee must do due dillegence with each and every candidate. Those supporting Rich Sutter, becareful what you wish for.

grainbear
05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
unless we are on the selection committee we will never know who has applied. What exactly are they looking for ? We all have our own ideas and I am sure the selection committee has there own ideas. All I ask of this board is to pick the best, forget the politics stay out of the dressing room and office once choice is made. Please don't piss off us fans and Go Hurricanes Go !

shushu
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
i wonder if he is under consideration or if he would even consider coming to town....not a bad choice for GM/coach of the canes........let hope so.........
http://jonkeen.blogspot.com/2009/05/im-only-one-who-knows-habscheid.html

Hockey Watcher
05-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone know when the GM and coach will be selected and or announced? Seems like everything is up in the air when other teams are holding spring camps, signing players and getting their rosters etc in order. Canes have no coach, no GM, and worse than that no ice rink to play at with the Enmax Center under construction. Talk about a big mess!

All those signed with Lethbridge have to wonder what is going on?

BugsBunny
05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
The board of directors is holding their monthly meeting tonight. I would imagine there will be a sense of urgency to get things in place as soon as possible, but making sure they get the right person for the job. I would not be surprised that they announce a hiring of a GM by June 8th. As for a rink, the team will be using Adams Ice Arena for their camps and pre-season training. They likely will not be playing any exhibition games at home and will have to start the season on the road until sometime near Oct 9-12.

grainbear
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Loved the comments on the Lethbridge situation on Taking Notes website today. Undoubtable one of the best comments I have seen on our comedy of errors by the board in Lethbridge. I simply does not take forever and a day to make decisions unless you are in Lethbridge. How can this board ever expect to get a memorial cup when they can not lay their postions on the line and make an informed decision. We have lost two more great people to other teams in Truitt and Habs while they took vacation. Do us all a favor get the decision made and yes if you make the wrong decision once again either get off the board or sell the team to someone who can make quick rational decisions. Looking for Tuesday Herald when they lay into this issue as well. We perhaps should rename the club the Shrine Club at least their clown squad is legit but I would not want to insult them the Shriners because they great group of guys that do make a difference

Hockey Watcher
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Loved the comments on the Lethbridge situation on Taking Notes website today. Undoubtable one of the best comments I have seen on our comedy of errors by the board in Lethbridge. I simply does not take forever and a day to make decisions unless you are in Lethbridge. How can this board ever expect to get a memorial cup when they can not lay their postions on the line and make an informed decision. We have lost two more great people to other teams in Truitt and Habs while they took vacation. Do us all a favor get the decision made and yes if you make the wrong decision once again either get off the board or sell the team to someone who can make quick rational decisions. Looking for Tuesday Herald when they lay into this issue as well. We perhaps should rename the club the Shrine Club at least their clown squad is legit but I would not want to insult them the Shriners because they great group of guys that do make a difference

I agree make a decision already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grainbear
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I have not had much positive to say about the board but todays move to higher a business manager is fantastic. We now have the someone to watch the dollar signs while we can get an individual to run the hockey operations. I see that the latest news is that we have 4 candidates . Since a week ago we had 8 it appears to me that some of the recent news of new coachs and gm in the league have cut into our pool of talent. Once again has our delay cost us great candidates ? We know who two of them are in Robson and Sutter and if you read some of the other blogs by newsmen Sutter campaigning is not doing him any good. Lets get the decision made this week! And then let this board be held accountable for their decison if it is wrong

scrawny69
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Mr Purcell from the herald said it right...just hurry up and hire Sutter....the board comes out looking grand wether it's succesful or not!! Pay Mr Sutter more and make him GM/Coach...it's works in Med Hat and Brandon to just have one guy makin the decisions!

shushu
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
that he hasn't even bin given a interview and feels the board will pass his by without a look....how can sutter be one of the candidates if he is talking like that.............................. he isn't even hired yet and i'm already sick of his bs................................................ .................................................. ... http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/content/view/63414/50/

doc64
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
If the board did not grant Sutter the opportunity to interview. They would be cutting their own throats come AGM time. Just wish we knew who else was on the list. I agree with Shushu, enough in the media already and let them get this done. Last time I checked Dylan Purcell was not on the board. This should not be a popularity contest. Let's get the right guy or guys for the job.

Scrawny also does have a point that the G.M. / Head Coach idea can work, but only with the right person and the right game plan. I disagree with Purcell in his statement that by giving the job to Sutter the board can't loose. They cannot afford to screw this up again. If it goes up in flames with Sutter in charge the damage could be worse than this last time.

I do wish they would hurry the hell up tho.