PDA

View Full Version : Lowry to Coach Canada's U18 Team!

Hitmen1
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Congrats to Dave on getting selected to coach team Canada!

Hockey Canada announced Wednesday that Calgary Hitmen coach and former NHL player Dave Lowry will be behind the bench for Canada's National Men's Summer Team for the 2009 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka in August.

This year's tournament is being held in the Czech Republic and Slovakia from August 11-15.

Lowry led the WHL's Hitmen to a 59-9-3-1 regular-season record and a berth in the WHL final this month against the Kelowna Rockets.

He has worked four seasons with Calgary, and this past campaign was his first as the team's head coach. Lowry, 44, played over 1,000 games in the NHL with five teams, serving as the Calgary Flames' captain from 2000 to 2002.

Hockey Canada also announced that Oshawa Generals head coach and GM Chris DePiero and Kootenay Ice head coach Mark Holick will join Lowry as assistant coaches, and that former NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt will be joining the staff as a goaltending consultant.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=279333

patsdude114
05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh great with Lowry behind the bench we will see another top team choke or was it just out coached... prob abit of both.

ahh well not like anyone really pays much attention to the U-18s anyways

hitmanfan
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh great with Lowry behind the bench we will see another top team choke or was it just out coached... prob abit of both.

ahh well not like anyone really pays much attention to the U-18s anyways

WTH- Your a Pats fan! Don't come around here talking smack about choking. How was your playoffs?

sbtatter
05-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I think Lowry's an awesome coach, he'll soon be a coach in the pro's. Hitmen players past and present have said they think he's the best coach they've ever had.....

Brandonite
05-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah a Regina Pats fan has no right no lip coaching. Hint...Dale Derkatch! There has been rumours that Lowry is actually moving up to the Flames. Ive heard that a bit, before Keenan got fired. So now that Keenan is fired, to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if Lowry came in as an assistant at some point

Hitmen1
05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah a Regina Pats fan has no right no lip coaching. Hint...Dale Derkatch! There has been rumours that Lowry is actually moving up to the Flames. Ive heard that a bit, before Keenan got fired. So now that Keenan is fired, to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if Lowry came in as an assistant at some point

I can see Lowry becoming an assistant if Sutter goes back behind the bench. If Sutter hires someone else as head coach, I hope Lowry stays with the Hitmen.