PDA

View Full Version : Jefferies to Guelph

dagley
06-01-2009, 08:16 AM
The Brandon Wheat Kings crop of returning 20-year old forwards has been reduced by one.

Glenboro product Cale Jefferies has committed to the University of Guelph Gryphons for next season.

Jefferies had five goals and 11 points in 60 games with the Wheat Kings last season and finishes his three-year career with Brandon with 12 goals and 38 points in 166 contests.

Jefferies departure leaves forwards Matt Calvert, Jay Fehr, Nathan Green, Aaron Lewadniuk and Del Cowan as possible returning 20-year olds for the Wheat Kings

I think the three 20's are already pretty much decided unless oddly, the Blue Jackets dont return Calvert, which is unlikely.

Vik
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I think the three 20's are already pretty much decided unless oddly, the Blue Jackets dont return Calvert, which is unlikely.

Why exactly is that unlikely?

As for Jeffries, good on him for the preemptive strike. Better to find a place now then to wait and hope something happens for him next season.

dagley
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't see Calvert making the NHL or the AHL next year is what I meant and I am sure the Columbus organization would think he would benefit coming back to junior.

Brandonite
06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah I agree, I dont see Matt Calvert sticking in the AHL this season coming up. I would put alot of money up that he will return Brandon and that is in no way at all a knock on Calvert. I just think he will for sure be back in Brandon. Im actually surprised that Jefferies went the University route early. Im sure his Junior A rights are still owned by Dauphin and Im surprised he didnt wanna pursue the Junior A Cup with it being in Dauphin and all. Anyways good for him..

Vik
06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
There's no way Calvert's in the NHL next season, but breaking down Columbus' forwards...

-- COLUMBUS --
Kristian Huselius R.J. Umberger Rick Nash
Jason Chimera Derick Brassard Jakub Voracek
Fredrik Modin Antoine Vermette Nikita Filatov
Raffi Torres Jiri Novotny Jared Boll
Andrew Murray and Derek Dorsett
Filatov's the only one of these guys that might be back in the AHL but I think they want to get him up to the pros.

UFAs:
Jason Williams
Mike Peca
Manny Malhotra
Chris Gratton
It's possible they'll sign a couple of these guys and I'd expect Manny Malhotra back but there's not much room in their line up.

-- SYRACUSE --
Alex Picard Derek MacKenzie Michael Blunden
Maxim Mayorov Stefan Legein
Tommy Sestito
From what I've read, people believe Picard should be in the NHL next season. Whether or not there's room for him is another question though. Blunden is another possibility to move up but, again, not much room there.

RFAs:
Petr Pohl
John Vigilante
Pohl hasn't really been advancing in the Jackets system so I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Europe. Vigilante was traded in an AHL deal for Dan Spang so I don't know whether he'd stick with Quad City or go back to Syracuse next season.

UFAs:
Mike York
Craig MacDonald
Steve Kelly

AHL contracts:
Trevor Frischmon
Kevin Harvey
Brian McGuirk
Ryan Garlock
Matt Kennedy
Jon Mirasty
I don't know who, but I'd expect at least two or three of these guys back with Syracuse next season.

-- PROSPECTS --
Nick Sucharski - Coming back from shoulder surgery that kept him out most of last season. Probably will need some time to get back on track so I doubt he'll start with Syracuse.
Matt Greer - Played one game in the AHL at the end of last year. Will either be with the Crunch or in the ECHL next season.
Kirill Starkov - Started last season in the AHL but finished the year in the KHL. Doubt he'll come back this year.
Tomas Kubalik - Playing in Czech league, don't know if he'll come over.

I think's that it really outside of Calvert. Anyone else would have to leave college early and I don't expect any of their guys to do that.

So my conclusion is that, if he impresses, there could very well be room for him in the AHL next season (or up and down between the Crunch and whoever their ECHL affiliate is). If, on the other hand, they feel he still needs to bulk up his small frame before they have him playing against men, he'll be back with the Wheaties. I definitely think it's possible he'll be back but to already have him as a virtual certainly for the club seems foolish to me.