PDA

View Full Version : God, I hope NHL is back up next season.

superzombieman
04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
The NHL needs to make it's adjustments and come back to life. I'll die if they don't start up next season. Does anyone else feel the same way as me or am I just crazy. :frog:

HAF
04-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree, Olie and Stu need to get back to work. We want a jumbo tron...lol...just kidding. Yeah, I'm kind of getting antsy too.

The_Vulk
04-22-2005, 05:25 PM
With the player's union in no rush to make any deal till October (when their next paycheques are due), it might end up being a condensed season, if the two sides can get a new CBA.

One way to stop this, is to pay the players in twelve, even, monthly paycheques. Since the pre-season/training camp starts so early (plus the off-season stay in shape, etc), the regular season plays on and on, and the play-offs going into June, might as well pay them year round.

So, they get less on each cheque, but they get their money over the whole year.

Sput
04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I heard Bettman talking on the radio that NHL players would be unlikely to be allowed to play in the Olympics in '06. I'm not sure what kind of juristiction he has over that, to tell the players that he has locked out that they can't play for their countries. As far as I see it the players are esentially all free agents as they are not being paid under contract, so should be free to apply to play where ever they can, be it Olympics are what have you. These are stil the best players in the world, and should be able to serve on their national teams.

RunTheGoalie
04-23-2005, 09:21 PM
I heard Bettman talking on the radio that NHL players would be unlikely to be allowed to play in the Olympics in '06. I'm not sure what kind of juristiction he has over that, to tell the players that he has locked out that they can't play for their countries. As far as I see it the players are esentially all free agents as they are not being paid under contract, so should be free to apply to play where ever they can, be it Olympics are what have you. These are stil the best players in the world, and should be able to serve on their national teams.

That is based on the NHL being back up and playing in Feb 2006. If the NHL is playing, it will not suspend it's season to allow the players to play in the olympics.

Obviously if there is no NHL season being played at the time the players will be able to play, as they will have no other obligations.

Scout
04-24-2005, 07:14 AM
The biggest problems is not the players not wanting to play, but Bettmen and Goodenough. They have to set their ego's aside. Neither wants to give the other an inch and make themselves look bad. The best thing that could happen is if they step aside and let someone else settle the strike. They don't like each other and don't care in my opinion whats good for the game. They now have gotten the ego's the size of football fields.

I'm sure if a secret poll was done within the N.H.L. players union that 90% of the players would vote to end the strike and get playing. Goodenough has to much power. He controls not only the players but must also approve player agents. He needs some of his power taken away. This is why no agents have really said a word about the strike. I had mentioned this once before, the spread between the top five paid players from 10 years ago and now is 45 million. That means 10 years ago the top 5 players were paid a combined total of $11 million and now the top five are paid $ 55 million.

As for The Olympics? I know personally that Hockey Canada is in a bind. Yes we would love to have the best players in the N.H.L. playing for Canada. Now if the strike was still on which won't surprise me if it is, Goodenough or Bettman can tell Hockey Canada that they don't want us to allow striking players to play in The 2006 olympics. We go against their wishes because the players are not under contract and bring in striking N.H.L. players against what they said. In the future when the strike ends and the players strike ends they become under contract once again. In the future when we want N.H.L. players to represent their country the N.H.L. or N.H.L.P.A. will remember us going against what they said and not allow any N.H.L. player to represent their country as punishment. These two guys just have to much power.

We have scouted alot of players in both North America and Europe who are not under contracts and so far 55 different players have wore Canada's colors as we scout for the 2006 Olympic team. They are players who have not had their contract renewed or have left the N.H.L. to play in Europe on their own. It is a fine line on what Hockey Canada can do. Many striking players would love to play for their country but Hockey Canada has to be careful and not be black marked for future World Tourney's.

Both Bettman and Goodenough need to step aside or better yet listen to the players they are representing and end the strike.

Scout