PDA

View Full Version : # Retired

Brandonite
06-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Besides Brian Propp, the Wheat Kings dont have anybody's # retired. Does anyone else agree they should have atleast a few more names hanging up and pay back some respect to some of these great past players. Some names that come to my mind personally would be #25 Ryan Craig (probably the best captain the Wheat Kings have ever had). #6 Wade Redden and #28 Marty Murray. Obviously Bill Derlago and Ray Ferraro could be considered too but those would be my big picks!

Boltz9
06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree completely, Wade Redden being the first person that came to my mind, not only was he a really good player but he was also one of the nicest guys you would ever meet too.

dagley
06-21-2009, 12:59 PM
You can make an argument for Toots also, probably one of the most fan favorite player to ever come through the city. It's hard to say, retiring numbers is a hard thing to do.

WHEATMAN
06-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Don't retire any of them. Teams retire numbers way too frequently these days, what the Wheaties should do is honour numbers, like what the Maple Leafs do so the number can still be worn. As far as honouring numbers goes, the only one that should be honoured is Propp's #16. So basically I support the status quo.

SectionNDeserter
06-21-2009, 06:01 PM
By the sheer nature of the league, there is far too much player turnover to do this with every fan-favorite that rolls through town. 50 or 60 years from now the players in Brandon would be wearing #154 and such.

dagley
06-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I think it should have to do with how that player makes an impact on the organization on and off the ice, and very few players do. I mean, everyone will have fan favorites to come through the city, some higher in stature and lower. But, someone like Ryan Craig should have it retired just from everything he did here.

Brandonite
06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I think it should have to do with how that player makes an impact on the organization on and off the ice, and very few players do. I mean, everyone will have fan favorites to come through the city, some higher in stature and lower. But, someone like Ryan Craig should have it retired just from everything he did here.

Ryan Craig was unbelievable during his time in Brandon just based on his all around attitude! He was the best captain this team has ever had especially considering he spent his entire Junior eligibility here from ages 16-20. He was here for a long time and everyone knows what kind of pain he played through during his final years here. The year he was supposed to have knee surgery which would have put him out for the season, he waited so he could play through the pain and help Brandon all the way to the East Finals. He knew doing that he would have to have the surgery in the summer meaning he would miss Tampa Bay camp and be sure to be sent back to Junior for his OA season. Hes a pure class act and respect is not given, its earned and Ryan Craig has earned every bit of my respect for what he has done for this organization and how he handled himself as a Brandon Wheat King. Theres lots of players today that could learn a thing or two from him about how to handle themselves properly!

The Wheatiemaniac
06-23-2009, 05:03 PM
By the sheer nature of the league, there is far too much player turnover to do this with every fan-favorite that rolls through town. 50 or 60 years from now the players in Brandon would be wearing #154 and such.

I can envision being at the arena and hearing the announcement......"Starting in goal, # 1 3/4.