PDA

View Full Version : Monday is the day?!?!?!?!

Bare Bear
06-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Well Monday the 29th is almost here. This is the self imposed dead line that the board has set for its self for the selection of a new general manager. At the end of the day, I hope they have selected a good and experienced man that is going to be here for the long term. What we don't need is for this to be just a temporary job until something else comes up for him. Should the board make a good choice, all will be good and we can start rebuilding. If, not then the room at the Ramada will not be nearly big enough for all of the shareholders that will be looking for their pound of flesh. From what I have heard, there have been many seasons tickets not being renewed and the corporate dollars are going to be way down. This club spends a lot of time and money chasing down new sponsors and fans. If they spent half of that effort retaining the old established fans, we would have a full barn every night. Success breeds success. My advise to the individual board members is that if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem and should resign your post. Let's once again move forward and make Lethbridge proud. I can't wait until July first to see what the team looks like. Good luck "Canes in making the right decision. I can't wait to come down and see what direction the team takes.:skeptical

BugsBunny
06-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Sorry but it will not be Monday, but it will be Tuesday. Look for their candidate to be both GM and coach with a lot of experience in hockey.

RYLAH
06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
What have you heard Bugs?

BugsBunny
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
who it is, but I have to respect my source. But the GM/Coach will be announced Tuesday. This mess (gong show) will be over. I think most intelligent hockey fans will be impressed with the choice.

shushu
06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
that the new gm/coach will be dave barr......

CrazyGeorge
06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
As long as it's not Mark Lamb. Maybe it's Chad Lang?

BugsBunny
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Not to worry CrazyGeorge, it is neither Mark or Chad.

Bocephus
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
I hope it's Mike Vandekamp from the Grande Prairie Storm.

Jake
06-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Gregg Drinnan's Taking Note has Rich Preston close to signing on as GM and head coach.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Gregg Drinnan's Taking Note has Rich Preston close to signing on as GM and head coach.

Mumbles? I hope not... well he certainly sucked as an assistant at the NHL level. He ran the Flames PP folks. Yes the team that went over 30 games without a PP goal.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 08:34 AM
who it is, but I have to respect my source. But the GM/Coach will be announced Tuesday. This mess (gong show) will be over. I think most intelligent hockey fans will be impressed with the choice.

Totally understand about respecting your source. There has been plenty of stuff that I wanted to spill... took me a while to sign up to this forum because of that. I haven't talked to my source in a couple of weeks so I don't anything new. I certainly hope they made a good choice, and moreover, I hope that they let the new GM run things and stay out of his hair.

BugsBunny
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks Rylah. However, it seems that the news is out. Greg Drinnan the sports reporter of the Kamloops Daily News is reporting that the Regina Leader Post states that Rich Preston will be announced as the new GM/Coach of the Hurricanes. Both sports reporters are correct. Great Move!

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Rylah. However, it seems that the news is out. Greg Drinnan the sports reporter of the Kamloops Daily News is reporting that the Regina Leader Post states that Rich Preston will be announced as the new GM/Coach of the Hurricanes. Both sports reporters are correct. Great Move!

I'm not convinced Preston is the correct choice, and I'm not saying that because I wanted Rich Sutter to get the job. As far as GM goes I don't know what Preston will bring to the table, but I question his coaching tactics. If his results in Calgary are any indication I wouldn't expect the Hurricanes to have a good PP. That being said, the WHL and NHL are entirely different levels. Look at Don Hay, a very good coach in the WHL, but he couldn't hack it in the NHL.

I'm certainly not upset, I'm just leary and will wait to see how things turn out.

BugsBunny
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
However, the hiring of Rich Preston as GM/Coach will likely be well received by most and I think that Rich's Sutter's reaction will be a positive one as he is apparently a close friend of Preston's. This could lead to Rich being a part of the staff maybe as an assistant gm or assistant coach. This would certainly appease the Rich Sutter supporters.
In two seasons with Regina the Pats scored over 300 goals each season, in 96-97 their power play was 4th best in the league at .297. Each season they finished 3rd in the east. Not bad stats.clrkthj

BugsBunny
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
RYLAH....sounds like you and I are very close to the Hurricanes. Good exchanging info with you!

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't know if the board would allow Rich P to hire Rich S. There was a lot of hard feelings, even before Sutter spoke on the situation with the media. Heck, even before Dyck was let go. I don't know how they conducted their hiring process but Sutter's references were never contacted, which leads me to believe that he was never in any serious contention for the GM job. If he got an interview it was probably just so they could tell the shareholders that they looked at all options.

caniac # 2
06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know if the board would allow Rich P to hire Rich S. There was a lot of hard feelings, even before Sutter spoke on the situation with the media. Heck, even before Dyck was let go. I don't know how they conducted their hiring process but Sutter's references were never contacted, which leads me to believe that he was never in any serious contention for the GM job. If he got an interview it was probably just so they could tell the shareholders that they looked at all options.

I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last name !! :laugh:

jkanes
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last names !! :laugh:

haha lol so true. Our family now calls The Flames the Sutterite Colony!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else see the irony here. One Sutter brother is not getting the GM job here because another Sutter brother fired Preston as a coach. Not that I am against the Sutters at all but this is almost too funny.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last name !! :laugh:

I like Preston as a coach better than Rich Sutter too. Rich was only applying for GM and my money would have been on him re-hiring Dyck to be the coach.

Hey wait a minute... the board said that the GM could hire his next coach, but the board hired Preston so they lied! </sarcasm>

Seriously though, there will still be a lot of people to win back. Whether Preston turns out to be the best GM/Coach the Canes have had in years won't matter for the near future. People are mad at the board and want change on that level. Did you see the playoff attendance in Lethbridge? Horribly embarrassing. People were already sending a message back then.

doc64
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
who the board hired if that logic is true RYLAH? If the shareholders and ticket holders were trying to send a message in the playoffs etc, what were they doing the year before. I believe attendance was poor in the first two rounds of the run to the final.

I hope the board has hired the right person to get this team going again and considering the relationship the Sutter's have with Preston, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him get a position with him if the board was being truthful when they said the new G.M. would have free rein to hire as he sees fit. Time will tell.

I am encouraged for the upcoming season but still feel that the board took much too long in making this decision and should be held accountable to explain why.

Regardless, I am sure it will be a "spirited" AGM in August.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
who the board hired if that logic is true RYLAH? If the shareholders and ticket holders were trying to send a message in the playoffs etc, what were they doing the year before. I believe attendance was poor in the first two rounds of the run to the final.

I hope the board has hired the right person to get this team going again and considering the relationship the Sutter's have with Preston, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him get a position with him if the board was being truthful when they said the new G.M. would have free rein to hire as he sees fit. Time will tell.

I am encouraged for the upcoming season but still feel that the board took much too long in making this decision and should be held accountable to explain why.

Regardless, I am sure it will be a "spirited" AGM in August.

It wasn't sold out during the first two rounds of the previous year but there were more butts in the seats and it was a loud building. This past playoffs the building was empty and quiet. Which was odd since they were putting up strong attendance figures right before the playoffs. It was like the playoffs and regular season were reversed in importance to the fans.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I would think a lot of the attendance had to do with the first round was broadcast on Shaw and people could sit home in their living room and watch rather than put out their cash to take the family to the game. The second round they lost the first 2 in Calgary and came home down 2 games to a team they had not beaten all year and was # 1 in the league if not the country at the time.

If so, then its weak excuses on their part. Its playoff hockey for goodness sakes!

moon
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
What an underwhelming choice. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the incompetence that the board has consistently shown but I guess I thought we might get someone who was remotely qualified for the job.

Instead we get a career NHL asst. coach with two years of WHL coaching, 0 years as a GM anywhere, who has been out of the league for 12 years.

What has Preston done since he was in Regina to show that he has any ability to be a GM?

What has he done since then to show that he has the ability to be a WHL coach?

Since they board did a good job of not letting it known who was in the running I guess he could have been the best choice but really if he was the best option I think that says a lot about how terrible the board was that there wasn't a qualified guy that they had to choose from.

BugsBunny
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
The major candidates for the job according to my source, were Perry Pearn who signed with Montreal, Dave Barr who signed with Minnesota, Marc Habschied who went to work Chilliwack who is owned by some of his NHL buddies, Rich Preston who gets the job and Rich Sutter. Seems to me that they had a very good list of candidates. Rich Preston does have more qualifications than Rich Sutter. Did the board have to go public with the candidates names? Maybe, but there was only one candidate who went on a campaign to get the job. The rest stayed quiet. The board did also in order to respect the requested privacy of the candidates.

RYLAH
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think the board would have a legal right to disclose the names of the applicants due to FOIP. It is no different than you or I applying for a job at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can't put an ad in the paper, or go on record with a reporter saying they received applications from BugsBunny, moon, RYLAH and Big Torro for the position of mop pusher. Yes, the nature of the jobs are different, but FOIP would still govern in both cases.

BugsBunny
06-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Sorry RYLAH but I did not apply for the GM''s job. LOL

HURRICANE'S ROCK
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Brian W. stated at the shareholders meeting last month that the board does not tell the GM who to hire. However, he also said "the board does reserve the right to veto his choice if they feel it is warranted to do so." In other words, they don't pick them but they can stop them from being hired, which makes sense to me. Therefor if the board does not want Sutter, he won't be hired.

Why would a GM hire someone the board does not want. All that will accomplish is to start the gong show all over again.vc124

RYLAH
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Brian W. stated at the shareholders meeting last month that the board does not tell the GM who to hire. However, he also said "the board does reserve the right to veto his choice if they feel it is warranted to do so." In other words, they don't pick them but they can stop them from being hired, which makes sense to me. Therefor if the board does not want Sutter, he won't be hired.

Why would a GM hire someone the board does not want. All that will accomplish is to start the gong show all over again.vc124

Has the gong show really stopped? It will go into a slow time, but there will always be something popping up as long as the current board structure is still in place. We'll see what happens at the AGM, but I'm not so certain all the current board members and structure will exist much longer.

doc64
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Has the gong show really stopped? It will go into a slow time, but there will always be something popping up as long as the current board structure is still in place. We'll see what happens at the AGM, but I'm not so certain all the current board members and structure will exist much longer.

I am interested in eveyone's thoughts on this. Maybe it should have it's own thread, I am not sure.

The board structure seems to be a point of contention with many people who were at the Elks hall meeting and I am wondering what the right number would be. That is if the number is the problem. Many believe 15 is too many while others believe that making it smaller will only allow strong agendas to pass more easily. It would be easier to secure 5 votes out of 9 rather than 8 votes out of 15 etc.

What else about the structure is a problem? What structure would be better?

Just think this is something worth discussing.

BugsBunny
06-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's my take on it for what it is worth. With 15 there could be a problem getting a majority to agree on an issue. However, it should stop anyone with their own hidden agenda. Plus with 15 you do get a variety of ideas, and a good number of people to work on committees. You will get the odd "lame duck" board member who is just on for the sake of being there. With a reduced number like 9 or 7 you still could have the problem of getting consencious on an issue and you run the risk of someone's personal agenda getting put front and center and with lower numbers you do get the idea that "they own the club". They tried 7 or 9 in Kamloops and it became a bigger mess and the club was eventually sold to private interests. Remember, there is safety in numbers.

Hockey Watcher
06-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Well whats next? Lethbridge now has their man

On Pats blog the new GM said his first agenda is to hire a new scout, director of player personnel. I wonder if Brad Robson will come back or if he has someone else in mind. Is Matt staying on as Asst. Coach or will be bring on another coach? There is still more to come. Another addition to the player list (Euro) goalie 1992. I thought Lethbridge had a 1992 goalie already
Anderson?

BugsBunny
06-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Robson, it would make perfect sense as he knows the roster the listed players and the WHL. Since Robson has not been hired by any other WHL team it could be just what the doctor ordered. As for Matt, he has another year left on his contract and apparently Preston is very impressed with him. It will be a very good learning experience for Matt. Another coach? Doubt it as he will be the head coach and he does have Matt working as his assistant. Anderson is the other 92 goaltender but will likely end up in the backup role. Tajdeh could be on the chopping block unless he becomes more consistent and keeps his emotions in check.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Preston's first agenda and most important move is to hire a new head scout/ director of player personnel. As Coach and GM he is very limited in his ability to see prospects play during the hockey season as he is with the team 24/7. Stasiuk at least had a lot of time to scout games and tournaments for talent, which he seemed very good at spotting. Preston will have to rely on the new man to do that for him. I don't think there is anyway Brad Robson will come back. He quit on the team and probably not under the best of terms. I think keeping Matt is a good idea as at least the returning players will see one familiar face and he can clue Preston in on a lot of things.
An interesting side note to yesterdays announcement at the Ramada. The proceedings were held up for about 10 mintes as the players who were to be there were LATE. Beach, Ashton and Ross strode in well after they were supposed to arrive, with Beach making some guip about why they were late. I don't think they made any brownie points with Preston, or anyone else for that matter with that little stunt!

Toe Drag
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Preston's first agenda and most important move is to hire a new head scout/ director of player personnel. As Coach and GM he is very limited in his ability to see prospects play during the hockey season as he is with the team 24/7. Stasiuk at least had a lot of time to scout games and tournaments for talent, which he seemed very good at spotting. Preston will have to rely on the new man to do that for him. I don't think there is anyway Brad Robson will come back. He quit on the team and probably not under the best of terms. I think keeping Matt is a good idea as at least the returning players will see one familiar face and he can clue Preston in on a lot of things.
An interesting side note to yesterdays announcement at the Ramada. The proceedings were held up for about 10 mintes as the players who were to be there were LATE. Beach, Ashton and Ross strode in well after they were supposed to arrive, with Beach making some guip about why they were late. I don't think they made any brownie points with Preston, or anyone else for that matter with that little stunt!
I will say this, if the board had the loyality and committment you folks have in being on these threads, this club would be in contention for the top three spots every year in this league. This is definitely the most loyal group of fans anywhere in this league, at least to trying to stay in touch with our team.
Kudos to all of you...as for Beach, well he just has to be the center of attention. Could be why he had his butt chewed in AHL earlier this year. I wish he would just play hockey when he wants to, he is arguably the best power forward in the DUB. And he is a real treat to the game when he does play to his ability. I question wether he understands what it means to respect the game. On and off the ice.
However, having said all that, I truly wish Rich Preston and Matt Kabayama all the success in the upcoming year. This will be a long year, we are going to have to be patient with "The boys from the Bridge".
As for Matt, I couldn't agree with you more. They need to hang onto Matt for player personnel reasons only. That will give Preston a head start on the returning players.

BugsBunny
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I believe that there are a lot of loyal fans that will stay loyal regardless of what has transpired. I can remember back several years ago when fans were just as upset with the goings on. From where I sit (new seat next season due to construction) it is easy to complain and criticize over what has gone on in the last 7-8 weeks and unless a person is privy to all the negotiations, we must try to understand what has taken place. It is a true fan who stands by his/her team no matter what! As for Kyle Beach and his new contract with Chicago, I can imagine that they read the riot act to him. The Blackhawks recognize his talent, but will not put up with his behaviour. With Rich Preston having a long history with the Chicago Blackhawks, I would guess that they will be keeping very close tabs on Klye. Preston strikes me as a no-nonsense type person. He may be just what the doctor ordered for Beach. Let's get on with getting this organization going....bring on the season and a Memorial Cup bid for 2013!:thumb:

Toe Drag
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Here is some tid bits for us to think about. You folks out there, are never going to believe who was at the NHL Draft in Toronto? Mr. Stasiak and his wife. I am sure he was doing some promoting for himself. . Not sure what else it could be, one might think it was to support some of his ex-players???
Just seems Lethbridge or Cranbrook is a long ways from Toronto!!

BugsBunny
07-02-2009, 02:25 PM
One minor detail TD, the NHL Draft was not held in Toronto, it was held in Montreal. He did do some networking with a couple of pro clubs, afterall he is out of work and he would have a captive audience with all the NHL GM's and Head Scouts there.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Great place to be for someone looking for work in hockey. Also an NHL team, if they were smart, would have put him say a months contract to give that team his knowledge of the players in the WHL. One thing I think we all agree on was Roy could judge talent......................Hold on a sec. I really used to feel that way but then there is Therieu (sp) and Mestery and Tajdeh??????

BugsBunny
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes Mestery is a big mystery. I still can figure out why Washington picked him in the NHL draft a couple of years back. They must see something in him. Certainly his size and skating but not his physical play. Tajdeh, looks at times like he could be good but his play is very inconsistent and he loses focus too much. Theriau too had promise but did not assert himself also there might have been some parental interference. But as you say HURRICANES' ROCK, Roy does have an eye for talent and will surely surface again with a team whether it be WHL or Pro.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes Mestery is a big mystery. I still can figure out why Washington picked him in the NHL draft a couple of years back. .

I guess only one word .....POTENTIAL........can explain it because he is a 100 miles from being NHL caliber. The scary thing is he may be our #1 Dman next year. Gosh, I could hardly type the last past of that sentence without crying..........lol.

Toe Drag
07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
One minor detail TD, the NHL Draft was not held in Toronto, it was held in Montreal. He did do some networking with a couple of pro clubs, afterall he is out of work and he would have a captive audience with all the NHL GM's and Head Scouts there.
My apologies, sorry I had Toronto on the brain, cause I just flew in from there.

BugsBunny
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
At least you had the good sense to fly FROM Toronto. LOL.
Mestery, Yadlowski (not drafted), Ross, Ryckman certainly will not strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. I hope the goaltenders have patience and endurance. Yikes!