PDA

View Full Version : Import Draft

dagley
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
What do you guys want? We all know, and want us to move up in the draft. Would we be better off obtaining a offensive/defensive defenceman to shore up our defensive core, or go out and nab an offensive/two way forward?

Boltz9
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Made a trade with Red Deer for their #14 pick, not sure who or what was in the trade but we took this guy http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=628543#&intcmpid=hdr-scrbrd-draft , looks good seeing that he broke Ovechkins scoring record in 2008 at the U-18 championships. :)

Allin44
06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Rajala should be pretty amazing if he comes over.. hopefully he does..

dagley
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm sure he is coming over, I can't see Kelly trading up to get a guy who does not want to come over. Plus, Edmonton probably has talked to him and think it would be good for his development. And he might wanna play in the Mem Cup :D

dagley
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Just took a Swedish defenseman, taken by NJ in the 3rd round this year. 6'3", 200 pounds.

http://nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=5699&sort=finalRank

Allin44
06-30-2009, 11:12 AM
so does this mean we have given up on Gotovets?

dagley
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
so does this mean we have given up on Gotovets?

No, I don't think so but he is committed to the NCAA next season.

Allin44
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
No, I don't think so but he is committed to the NCAA next season.

Can't you only have 2 Euros on your 50 man list?

dagley
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Again, not sure

Boltz9
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Thats true, they have given up on Gotovets, he has supposedly commited to Cornell (NCAA) for next year.

Trav
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I think you can have three euros if one is on a suspended list or some kind of list. The Blades will be picking a euro today yet there's still a possibility of Kytnar coming back but they're still able to pick another euro to go with Niemi and still have Kytnar's rights if he does come back to junior. Similar to what Kelowna did, they had Matejka and Novotny this year until Backlund came and then Matejka was sent packing so there's a way of teams having three euros if one doesnt come back or something like that.

Vik
06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
They took Rajala! I gotta get back to Brandon. We've finally got an Oilers prospect for me to watch (assuming he comes over).

dagley
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
They took Rajala! I gotta get back to Brandon. We've finally got an Oilers prospect for me to watch (assuming he comes over).

Ew Oilers, maybe Aulie can come back and fight him! :D GO FLAMES, hehe

Allin44
06-30-2009, 01:54 PM

We gave up Green to get him, he better be coming over..

dagley
06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
We gave up Green to get him, he better be coming over..

He is, I am more then positive Kelly must have talked to him. Clearing up the OA a bit too.

Joe Hallenback
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Pretty excited by our 2 imports. I wonder if one of Calvert or Aulie will be back if they gave up Green?

Vik
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Pretty excited by our 2 imports. I wonder if one of Calvert or Aulie will be back if they gave up Green?

Based on the article on the Wheat Kings site, I'd say Aulie's as good as gone. Calvert's still a possibility though.

Edit: Referring to...

With Green’s departure, the Wheat Kings have four 20-year olds on their active roster – forwards Matt Calvert, Aaron Lewadniuk, Del Cowan and Jay Fehr. WHL clubs are permitted to carry a maximum of three overage players.

dagley
06-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Calvert will be here. They will move Aaron and Cowan for an OA dman I think

Boltz9
06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Interesting that they chose to fill up a spot at forward and defense instead of taking a european goalie. Maybe they didn't think any of the goalies were good enough or they might think they have a shot at a proven goalie thats already in the league. Calvert will be in Brandon I dont think theres a doubt about that, Aulie is likely gone but people can still hold on to hope lol. Wonder if Kelly will try to get rid of a couple o/a's in a trade for a goalie. Things are sure heating up :)

Joe Hallenback
06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
After a brief conversation with Kelly about a month ago I came to the conclusion he thinks highly of Hayes

It also led me to believe they would pick up a D man in this draft which they did.

Boltz9
06-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Well I don't think Hayes could lead us to a Memorial Cup, maybe a backup but I don't think we can leave the starting job to him in this important year.

BSB
06-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Well I don't think Hayes could lead us to a Memorial Cup, maybe a backup but I don't think we can leave the starting job to him in this important year.
People tend to forget that these young kids can take huge steps in development from one year to the next. Kelly will probably wait to see how Hayes handles himself in the first half of the season and if he is not panning out, swing a deal at that time. I've heard that Hayes has dropped 20 pounds already this offseason and is taking his conditioning very seriously. Here's hoping he can find some consistency this coming season as he occasionally showed flashes of brilliance last year.

Boltz9
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
People tend to forget that these young kids can take huge steps in development from one year to the next. Kelly will probably wait to see how Hayes handles himself in the first half of the season and if he is not panning out, swing a deal at that time. I've heard that Hayes has dropped 20 pounds already this offseason and is taking his conditioning very seriously. Here's hoping he can find some consistency this coming season as he occasionally showed flashes of brilliance last year.

True there is that possibility. I do think your right that no matter what he will wait for a while if he is going to make a move for a goalie to see if he has improved. Obviously I hope he does improve because that would be one less thing we would have to improve at. Personally I would love to have a goalie that could play the puck more and get it up to our forwards quickly, Holtby is amazing at that but he's just an example.

wheaties89
07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
if we can get rajala that would make a pretty deadly top 6. schenn glennie calvert rajala fehr and possibly either stone or depape. scoring would be no problem again this year

Allin44
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
www.WeWantRajala.com anybody?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-02-2009, 04:46 PM
People tend to forget that these young kids can take huge steps in development from one year to the next. Kelly will probably wait to see how Hayes handles himself in the first half of the season and if he is not panning out, swing a deal at that time. .

To prove your point look at Martin Jones in Calgary. The Canes lit him up like a Christmas tree in the 2008 playoffs and he looked brutal. Then this past season he is a star.

Boltz9
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
To prove your point look at Martin Jones in Calgary. The Canes lit him up like a Christmas tree in the 2008 playoffs and he looked brutal. Then this past season he is a star.

I still think he was the weak point on an unbelievebly talented team. But if Hayes could play anything like him it would be an upgrade, lets hope.