PDA

View Full Version : Verdino lucky to be alive

dagley
07-04-2009, 11:46 AM
http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/

Kelowna Rockets defenceman Kyle Verdino is lucky to be alive.

Verdino was involved in a serious two vehicle accident late last month in Phoenix Arizona, breaking his ankle and left hand.

Kyle was driving to the gym when he was hit by an on-coming vehicle.

Charges in the accident have not be laid.

Verdino's father Ralph says his son also underwent plastic surgery after suffering significant cuts to the right side of his face.

Over 500 stitches were needed to close various lacerations on Verdino's face and body.

"When we saw his truck four days later at the salvage yard I said...(sigh). People were scared to ask how the driver was. One of the workers said we see a lot of wrecks and this is one of the top five that we've seen here, damage wise", Verdino added.

Ralph Verdino says his son should make a full recovery.

"The ankle they (doctors) figure he will have to be off of it for about six weeks, three without pressure at all and then in three weeks doctors will put a walking boot on him."

Editors note: Do to the sensitivity of the situation I gave Ralph Verdino the option of not commenting on the accident. Mr. Verdino found no problem with this incident being relayed to readers/listeners and hockey fans in Kelowna. In fact he appreciates the support Kyle's teammates have shown towards him on the road to recover.

Arthur Fonzerelli
07-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Sounds like he was driving with an angel. Good luck with the recovery. I still think that these kids should be driving bumper cars until their mid-20's.

The Wheatiemaniac
07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Here's a prayer from the Wheat City to our hockey clan in Kelowna.

First off, we all hope Verdino makes a full recovery.

I also want to send our condolences to family and friends of Ross Ruttle, who lost his battle wit ALS.

His song will live forever.

Malc
08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Regan Bartel:
Kyle Verdino is spending a great deal of time with athletic therapist Jeff Thorburn and a great deal of time on a stationary bike. The Kelowna Rockets defenceman is back in Kelowna in an effort to recover from a June automobile accident in Phoenix, Arizona. Verdino, 18, suffered a broken hand and ankle and numerous stitches to both his face and body. The road to recovery will be a slow process, but Verdino would like nothing more than to join the team on the ice after Christmas.

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2009/08/things-that-make-me-go-hmm.html

apsco17
09-11-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/kelownacapitalnews/sports/58670722.html

Kyle Verdino

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News
September 10, 2009 6:00 PM

For 10 monotonous and frustrating weeks this summer Kyle Verdino didn’t lift a weight or lace up a pair of skates.

Now the veteran defenceman is playing a serious game of catch-up as his Kelowna Rockets get set to begin the 2009-10 Western Hockey League season without him.

Verdino, 17, began skating last week for the first time since suffering a broken left hand and a broken right ankle in a car accident on June 22 in his hometown of Phoenix, Ariz.

“I was driving to the gym at 7:30 in the morning and a 25-year-old woman, who was texting and driving at the same time, ran into me in the intersection,” said Verdino.

“I had surgery that day, they put two screws in my hand and one in my ankle.

“It was pretty depressing at first,” he said, “it really put a damper on things. It was a bad way to get hurt, and not to be able to do what I love to do.”

Still, even after spending five weeks in a wheelchair, Verdino counts himself lucky that such injuries didn’t occur in the middle of the hockey season.

This way, if all goes as planned, Verdino could be back in the Rockets lineup in several weeks.

But according to head coach Ryan Huska, a complete and timely recovery will only come with complete commitment from the 6-foot-1, 215 pound rearguard.

“Kyle’s real challenge is to make sure he’s committed to being the hardest working guy in our dressing room,” said Huska.

“Conditioning is a big factor, he’ll need to work hard at getting himself into game shape, and maintaining that level of fitness. He’ll need to keep pushing himself and, if he does that, once he gets back in action he should be fine.”

Verdino said he doesn’t need to dig all that deep to find motivation or to work hard. The Rockets are not only expecting him to raise his game by another notch, but 2010 is also Verdino’s draft year.

After appearing in 64 games last season, Verdino insists he’s hungry to take on more responsibility in his third season of major junior.

“This is the most important year of my hockey career so far, so I’m going to work as hard as I can,” he said. “I just have to think about how bad I want it, how much I want to be out there with the boys again contributing, practicing and being in the games with them.

“I want to be out there as soon as possible and I’m going to do whatever I can to make that happen.”

whenderson

Big Daddy
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/kelownacapitalnews/sports/58670722.html

Kyle Verdino

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News
September 10, 2009 6:00 PM

For 10 monotonous and frustrating weeks this summer Kyle Verdino didn’t lift a weight or lace up a pair of skates.

Now the veteran defenceman is playing a serious game of catch-up as his Kelowna Rockets get set to begin the 2009-10 Western Hockey League season without him.

Verdino, 17, began skating last week for the first time since suffering a broken left hand and a broken right ankle in a car accident on June 22 in his hometown of Phoenix, Ariz.

“I was driving to the gym at 7:30 in the morning and a 25-year-old woman, who was texting and driving at the same time, ran into me in the intersection,” said Verdino.

“I had surgery that day, they put two screws in my hand and one in my ankle.

“It was pretty depressing at first,” he said, “it really put a damper on things. It was a bad way to get hurt, and not to be able to do what I love to do.”

Still, even after spending five weeks in a wheelchair, Verdino counts himself lucky that such injuries didn’t occur in the middle of the hockey season.

This way, if all goes as planned, Verdino could be back in the Rockets lineup in several weeks.

But according to head coach Ryan Huska, a complete and timely recovery will only come with complete commitment from the 6-foot-1, 215 pound rearguard.

“Kyle’s real challenge is to make sure he’s committed to being the hardest working guy in our dressing room,” said Huska.

“Conditioning is a big factor, he’ll need to work hard at getting himself into game shape, and maintaining that level of fitness. He’ll need to keep pushing himself and, if he does that, once he gets back in action he should be fine.”

Verdino said he doesn’t need to dig all that deep to find motivation or to work hard. The Rockets are not only expecting him to raise his game by another notch, but 2010 is also Verdino’s draft year.

After appearing in 64 games last season, Verdino insists he’s hungry to take on more responsibility in his third season of major junior.

“This is the most important year of my hockey career so far, so I’m going to work as hard as I can,” he said. “I just have to think about how bad I want it, how much I want to be out there with the boys again contributing, practicing and being in the games with them.

“I want to be out there as soon as possible and I’m going to do whatever I can to make that happen.”

whenderson

Dizzy Broad. I see all type of strange behavior while people are driving.

Malc
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Kyle Verdino returned to the Rockets lineup against Kamloops on Saturday for the first time since getting into a car accident this summer.

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
This is great news! He must be well ahead of schedule for recovery.

I hope he sues for an NHL salary from the woman who caused the accident by texting on her damn phone.

rinkrat
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I hope he sues for an NHL salary from the woman who caused the accident by texting on her damn phone.

He may as well sue for an NBA or NFL salary while he's at it. He has about the same odds of making those leagues.