PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Billeting

Allin44
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Can players over 18 live by themselves or is billeting mandatory for all players?

Joe Hallenback
07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
you can live by yourself but why would you? Unless you got some serious money most guys playing at 18-19 dont have much

Plus if your billet is a good cook you get free food! I know mine was :D

Allin44
07-09-2009, 09:33 PM
you can live by yourself but why would you? Unless you got some serious money most guys playing at 18-19 dont have much

Plus if your billet is a good cook you get free food! I know mine was :D

Nah was just wondering, for guys like Sbisa who got an NHL paycheck for over half a year..

Or guys that have signed and got signing bonuses etc...

Joe Hallenback
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
You still really don't know how to live on your home yet at least for most guys. I left home at 16 and really couldnt do my own laundry or cook yet lol

Its nice when you don't have to worry about paying bills and just concentrate on hockey

Brandonite
07-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Can players over 18 live by themselves or is billeting mandatory for all players?

No Im actually pretty sure all players must live with a billett. It only makes sence. I know over 18 is an adult but still, they are just kids! I know a couple years I was real good friends with one of the players from Brandon who actually got moved from his billetts because the couple split up and they didnt want him in that sort of environment. I would say about 75% or more of these kids come from wealthy homes and money isn't an issue. Have you seen some of the vehicles these kids drive?? Most of them have NEVER worked a single day in their life, i wish my mommy and daddy would buy me a car! haha

canes77
07-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I think almost all are billeted, but I've also heard a few overage players will choose to live on their own...but rather than live by themselves, live with a fellow overager. Even Sidney Crosby (who is almost 22) still lives with the Lemieux family, last I heard.

metalrules
07-24-2009, 12:24 AM
"I would say about 75% or more of these kids come from wealthy homes and money isn't an issue. Have you seen some of the vehicles these kids drive?? Most of them have NEVER worked a single day in their life, i wish my mommy and daddy would buy me a car!"

Well Brandonite let me tell you this... when I went to play junior my parents did not by be a car, the both worked so I could play minor hockey, I worked so I could drive my little piece of crap pontiac firefly. Most guys didn't even have cars, we car pooled and paid eachother for gas. Have you asked any of these player driving the nice cars if they helped pay for these vehicles? Don't make broad statements if you don't know the answers.

Brandonite
07-24-2009, 05:47 AM
"I would say about 75% or more of these kids come from wealthy homes and money isn't an issue. Have you seen some of the vehicles these kids drive?? Most of them have NEVER worked a single day in their life, i wish my mommy and daddy would buy me a car!"

Well Brandonite let me tell you this... when I went to play junior my parents did not by be a car, the both worked so I could play minor hockey, I worked so I could drive my little piece of crap pontiac firefly. Most guys didn't even have cars, we car pooled and paid eachother for gas. Have you asked any of these player driving the nice cars if they helped pay for these vehicles? Don't make broad statements if you don't know the answers.

Actually I do know this!! I dont care what kind of car you drove or what it was like when you played. Im saying I know alot of the players personally and I know for a fact these kids come from homes where money is not an issue! As far a the "getting a car" thing, yes I do know that as well. Im not gonna sit here and name past players names but I remember guys coming to school with unreal vehicles and they were very open about the fact their parents got it for them. Its not a matter of me making broad statements, its the truth! Whether or not it was this way for you or not, thats why i said MOST kids come from wealthy homes and I still stand by that.

Allin44
07-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Actually I do know this!! I dont care what kind of car you drove or what it was like when you played. Im saying I know alot of the players personally and I know for a fact these kids come from homes where money is not an issue! As far a the "getting a car" thing, yes I do know that as well. Im not gonna sit here and name past players names but I remember guys coming to school with unreal vehicles and they were very open about the fact their parents got it for them. Its not a matter of me making broad statements, its the truth! Whether or not it was this way for you or not, thats why i said MOST kids come from wealthy homes and I still stand by that.

I'd tend to agree.. most of the guys I know that play or have played came from a pretty well to do family.. I think that just represents the demograpahics of hockey now.. to play at an elite level costs a lot of money.. I'd hazard that to play AAA in Brandon right now is going to run you close to 5K

Brandonite
07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd tend to agree.. most of the guys I know that play or have played came from a pretty well to do family.. I think that just represents the demograpahics of hockey now.. to play at an elite level costs a lot of money.. I'd hazard that to play AAA in Brandon right now is going to run you close to 5K

THANK YOU!! I'm not here to offend anyone or insult people but its the truth especially in Brandon!! To play AAA in Brandon alone is beyond rediculous! I personally couldnt afford to put my kid up with a price tag like that. I also know alot of guys who I question "why didnt you go furher in hockey"?? The answer is always about MONEY! If you got the cash...they'll find a spot for him. Its sad, but the truth! Its not all about money, but damn close!!