PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 Roster

Red celtic
07-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Figured I would take a stab at next years pre training roster so here goes.

1. Mappin (19) Ferraro (18) Green (20)
2. Coetzee (19) Hopkins (16) Deagle (20)
3. Redmond (17) Kambeitz (17) Pearson (17)
4. Cowan (18) Siwak (16) Oursov (18)
Neduzak (17)

1. Petrovic (17) 2. Morin (20)
2. Weller (18) 4. Archer (19)
5. Kot (19) 6. Barak (17)
7. Deagle (17)

1. Kuemper (19) 2. Gorchynski (17)

Esposito (20) Gross (20) and Ferguson (19) Trades or released. Changes if Mckenzie chooses whl he goes onto Deagles spot on second line.

RDRebelsfan
07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
McKenzie's already committed to the NCAA route, so he isn't coming.

Red celtic
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Being committed to the NCAA doesn't mean he won't play in the dub several players have played in the league after making a NCAA commitment. A bigger question is where does Dallas want him to play. If they feel he will develope better in the Dub there is a good chance he will be here.

RDRebelsfan
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Well I'd like him to come much like anyone else who is a Rebels fan, but I'm also a realistic person and I don't see it happening.

SectionNDeserter
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Jamie Benn was on his way to the University of Alaska-Fairbanks a few years ago, when he was drafted in the 5th round by Dallas and subsequently showed up on the roster of a young, rebuilding Kelowna Rockets squad. Different team management in Dallas now, but you never know what might happen.

Your projected roster looks much like mine would, though I would swap Persson and Deagle. Also the Czech defenseman coming in is a 91 (which would make him 18). Looking at the roster, we have 6 90's (Mappin, Kuemper, Coetzee, Archer, Ferguson and Kot). I would imagine that they are going to want to reduce this number down to 4. Kot, like Ferguson didn't really show a lot of improvement over the last half of the season, and I think the pair of them won't be in the opening night roster. If this is the case, we could see Jordie Deagle moved in favor of another overage defenseman, or play defense ala Brennan Wray next season (and adding in a wildcard forward like Jesse Mireau).

Red celtic
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
To tell you the truth I happen to agree with you but I would say there is a 30-40% chance he will come to Red Deer. The reason I say this is the Dallas factor where do they want him to play.

Arthur Fonzerelli
07-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Jamie Benn couldn't pass the SAT's to get into Alaska so the choice for him was easy.

SectionNDeserter
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Odd that an NCAA team would announce the signing of someone with such poor SAT scores. Your source?

RDRebelsfan
07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Like I said, I'd like McKenzie to come. But I'm not the type of person who gets his hopes up in these sort of matters. McKenzie or no McKenzie I see see this team finishing top 3 in the Central next year.

Billy's Got A Gun!
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Don't be surprised if Tyson Ness from Grande Prairie makes the team as a 16 year old. Next to RNH and Siwak, he was probably their best forward at the prospects camp in June. Rebels are high on him and will give him every opportunity to make the team this year!

SectionNDeserter
07-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Don't be surprised if Tyson Ness from Grande Prairie makes the team as a 16 year old. Next to RNH and Siwak, he was probably their best forward at the prospects camp in June. Rebels are high on him and will give him every opportunity to make the team this year!I had thought about him too, but it is hard to imagine them carrying 3 16 year old forwards. He will be given every opportunity to make the team, but he is really going to have to blow the doors off of everyone in camp. Also, there was rumors that Hamilton Steen wants to come back to NA and play Major Junior here. Anyone hear anything more about that?

Brandonite
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Is Mappin going to be a 19 year old coming this season? I thought he was only 18 as this was his first year of NHL eligibility. Was he eligible last year or did he just not enter the draft?

SectionNDeserter
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Mappin is born in December, so he will turn 19 halfway through the season. He was too young for the NHL draft last year.

FreddieFender
07-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Section N, although you are correct in your statement that Mappin turns 19 in December, I do not understand why you say he was too young for the draft that took place in June, 2009.

Brandonite
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Section N, although you are correct in your statement that Mappin turns 19 in December, I do not understand why you say he was too young for the draft that took place in June, 2009.

It all depends on when his birthday falls on to be eligible for the draft. Just like John Tavares will be a 19 year old this year while just missing the draft eligibility last year by like a couple of weeks or something which could be the same case for Mappin.

SectionNDeserter
07-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Section N, although you are correct in your statement that Mappin turns 19 in December, I do not understand why you say he was too young for the draft that took place in June, 2009.He was too young for the draft that took place last year (June, 2008). The year is 2009. :D

Red celtic
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
RDRebelsfan I bow to your hockey insight looks like Curtis McKenzie will not be coming to the Rebs anytime soon. Here is a piece I found on him.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/50053277.html

RDRebelsfan
07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
It helps to read certain blogs and talk to people who work within.

Red celtic
08-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Starting to get some Red Deer Rebel Hockey news read this in the Advocate this morning. For the most part the piece was about Alex Petrovic but it went on to talk about a number of kids including Curtis Mckenzie and our two Euros. Here is the link. http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebel_against_the_world_52568442.html

RDRebelsfan
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
For those of you hoping McKenzie comes, well maybe your spirits could be lifted a bit by this: (via Greg Drinnan's blog)

Jesse Wallin, Red Deer’s vice-president of hockey operations and head coach, indicates that the Rebels are still hoping to have F Curtis McKenzie on their roster in the upcoming season. McKenzie, 18, led the BCHL’s Penticton Vees in scoring last season, putting up 64 points in 53 games. However, he has committed to Miami of Ohio where he will play for the RedHawks. In fact, he is shown on the 2009-10 roster that is posted on their website. . . . A fifth-round selection by the Rebels in the 2006 bantam draft, McKenzie was taken by the Dallas Stars in the sixth round of the NHL’s 2009 draft. . . . “We’re still holding out hope that he’ll come and he hasn’t entirely ruled it out,” Wallin told Greg Meachem of the Red Deer Advocate. “We’re really hoping to get him here. I know he would be a great addition to our team. He’s built for this league and the style of play. Curtis has been drafted and it would be great to see him develop in our league before going on to play pro hockey. I think he’s well suited for our league and would probably be among our top six forwards.”

Arthur Fonzerelli
08-06-2009, 05:08 PM
It only cost the Giants $75,000. to bring Casey Piero Zabotel from the BCHL, but that was a few years ago. I wonder what the Rebels are willing to pay for McKenzie.

Red celtic
08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
It only cost the Giants $75,000. to bring Casey Piero Zabotel from the BCHL, but that was a few years ago. I wonder what the Rebels are willing to pay for McKenzie.
Was this the cost of a educational package? Or who do you have to pay off to get top level talent?

Arthur Fonzerelli
08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
The only person paid off was CPZ. There was also a free lease car. It's done a lot for top end players and it's been that way for years. It's just capitalism applied to kid's sports. One extra playoff game in Vancouver is worth way more than that to Toigo, it's just too bad that the whole team couldn't share the profits from the Mem Cup runs. It does make it dificult for small market teams working on shoestring budgets.

SectionNDeserter
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I think there is still a slim chance that he may be here. That Interview that RC linked a while back could have taken place days after the draft for all we know, prior to talking to Brent/Jesse. If there is in fact some sort of a fee to get him here, I don't think Brent will have any problem paying it--he can't eliminate any chance to improve the roster this season, as it is important for them to have a winning record this year.