PDA

View Full Version : cody gross

rebel
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
cody gross went to the calgary hitmen through waivers.

SectionNDeserter
07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I know he is one of Red Celtic's favorites, I hope he doesn't become a hitman fan now!

Red celtic
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Ugggg yeah okay he was a kid we got for JD Watt so I guess he served a purpose. As a way to get rid of Watt. Anyways hope he helps the Hitmen as much as he helped us.

RDRebelsfan
07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm with what SND send in another post. Be nice to get another better 20 yr old, preferably a D. The Broncos will have Molle and Claffey as well as Tassone and Stickland up front. I'm certain they'll stick with Tassone and Claffey. If they could deal for either Molle or bring in the home product Stickland that'd be an upgrade over Deagle.

SectionNDeserter
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I think that we will probably see Deagle or Esposito playing on the point this season. If this is the case, my preference would be Esposito, because he is a better skater (at least without the puck). Though it would be nice to grab an actual overage defenseman that can kill penalties, so we don't have to suffer through watching Morin's defensive assignments score 50 powerplay goals again next year.

tiny
07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't see Morin playing the minutes he played last year, especially if we are able to have a full contingent of healthy players. I hope last year was and anomaly with so few games with a full roster. We had several games with less than six D even with forwards playing D.

I see Weller, Archer, and Petrovic as PK go-to guys. (I am sure you will remember I said the scouts had Weller in their sights as early as January last year and a few poked fun at me. last laugh LOL) Weller will provide the muscle out front that will make a few forwards less willing to venture into the crease area.

Early last year goal tending was less than stellar. That cost us several games. IMHO the team had very little confidence in Clark and played scared in front of him. With the maturing of Petrovic, a healthy Weller and the development of a supportive/mentoring captain, Archer, I see our D as much better in front of Kuemper than it was in front of Clark. Archer has had his year to learn to kick butt of teammates and I hope this year will add the supportive/mentoring side. He can be a quality captain if he does that.

Of our returning players, only Ferraro had more than 20 goals. With the addition of Green, we now have two players who scored 20+ goals. I see that jumping to five or six this year; Ferraro, Green, Coetzee, Mappin, Ferguson/Oursov?, Nugent-Hopkins?, and McKenzie (if he shows).

The kid line from last year impressed late in the year even if the scoring didn't come. The scoring touch created by hustle should begin to pay off for Kambietz, Cowan, and Redmond.

Parlay that with the number of one-goal games we lost last year and I see us improving greatly this year.

Always the optimist, I am really looking forward to the upcoming season and paying for playoff tickets.

Can anyone explain to me why we just gave Gross to Calgary without compensation? Waht did waivers mean in this case? I thought there was no need to commit to a roster this early.

AlanC
07-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Can anyone explain to me why we just gave Gross to Calgary without compensation? Waht did waivers mean in this case? I thought there was no need to commit to a roster this early.

They released him. When you release a player, he goes on waivers to give other teams in the league a chance to pick him up. The worst team (by points) to put in a claim gets the player, so since Calgary was the regular season points leader last year, that means every other team in the league had to have passed on Gross in order for the Hitmen to get him. And since everyone passed on having him for free, you can assume that nobody wanted to trade for him either. :)

Had nobody claimed him, he would have been free to shop his services to the OHL or QMJHL.

As for why the Rebels did it now, maybe they had already decided that Gross was not going to make the team regardless of what he might do in training camp. In that case, you might as well let the guy go now and give him as much of a chance as possible to find another place to play. I'd say that's a classy move by the Rebels to give the guy the best chance to find another job somewhere. Some teams might have jerked him around by keeping him right up to the overage deadline in October before cutting him, and by then a lot of potential opportunities could be lost to him.

RDRebelsfan
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I think that we will probably see Deagle or Esposito playing on the point this season. If this is the case, my preference would be Esposito, because he is a better skater (at least without the puck). Though it would be nice to grab an actual overage defenseman that can kill penalties, so we don't have to suffer through watching Morin's defensive assignments score 50 powerplay goals again next year.

Solution: Trade with SC and get Molle.

Red celtic
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Solution: Trade with SC and get Molle.

Got this from Allan Caldwells Small Thoughts At Large hockey blog.
http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/

Swift Current:
--------------
Eligible: Derek Claffey (D), Eric Doyle (D), Ryan Molle (D), John Negrin (D), Michael Stickland (F), Matt Tassone (F)

Thoughts: Negrin is long gone to the pros, he already played some NHL games last year after the Broncos were eliminated. Tassone really should move on to the pros after his great season last year but he is coming off surgery and Dallas has another year to sign him yet so he will probably be back. Molle is probably headed to the Jr A ranks. Claffey, Doyle, and Stickland should all join Tassone in fighting for three spots then. I think Tassone and Stickland are safe, which means it comes down to whether you want Doyle's offence from the blueline, or Claffey's more rounded game back there. Whichever one they don't keep will make good trade bait.

Projected: Claffey, Stickland, Tassone. Doyle should fetch a nice return on the trade market.

I think this is a pretty good assessment of where they are at so with that in mind I would prefer Claffey (Red Deer kid)

RDRebelsfan
07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
so would I he was their captain last year, but I doubt that means much in trades anyway.

SectionNDeserter
07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Can anyone explain to me why we just gave Gross to Calgary without compensation? Waht did waivers mean in this case? I thought there was no need to commit to a roster this early.This was a move made more for the player than anything. After he was benched for a pile of games down the stretch, it became quite clear that he isn't in the team's future plans, and there are literally dozens of players in Heritage Junior B that are as good or better than Gross, that would jump at the chance to play in the WHL.

Now he can get picked up by a team with a weaker contingent of overage players (Calgary), or he can begin his education. I for one would be extremely surprised if he is still on the Calgary roster by the time the regular season starts.

Solution: Trade with SC and get Molle. Well, they should be pretty grateful after we sent them Morgan Clark....

I think this is a pretty good assessment of where they are at so with that in mind I would prefer Claffey (Red Deer kid)I would prefer Claffey as well, but it is all going to hinge on who the 3 overage players are in Swift.