PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp

Nature Boy
07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
When does Training Camp start this year? I would assume some time in August. When is the Black and White game this year?

rdreb
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Sunday the 23rd of aug.

Hawkie
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
When does Training Camp start this year? I would assume some time in August. When is the Black and White game this year?

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Red_Deer_Rebels_to_open_new_season_on_Sept_18_at_h ome_against_Calgary_Hitmen_49095136.html

negli99
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
According to Twitter the ice is in and Training Camp starts Sunday at 8:30am at the Centrium. The Rebels on Twitter and a new looking web site thats a good sign to start the season. Looks like hockey season is not far way. Yeah.

Red celtic
08-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Just read this article on-line from the Advocate talks about Wallins expectations for the season and how the team will improve this season. Here is the link. http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Playoffs_or_bust_for_Rebels_53891952.html

chainsaw
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I think the rookies will scrimmage on their 2nd ice time tommorow and the Main Camp participants will scrimmage following them.

The morning sessions won't be scrimmages will they?

chainsaw
08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
No RNH on day 1.

-Dumba put on a good show in the rookie scrimmage this afternoon.

-Pufhal left the scrimmage with what appeared to be a shoulder problem. He was about to sqaure off with someone & something went wrong. I think I saw him walking on the concourse with a sling, later on.

-Woodyatt was good in the Main Camp scrimmage.

-Ferraro (not suprisngly?) looks like he added on some size this summer.

-The Swede might be a player, with some time.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

I'll be there for all of day 2, also.

hockey4
08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
burr, macallum, dumba and pluhal seemed to have the most potential of all the rookies. dumba looked great out there specifically. RNH and siwak seemed to be battling some sickness. no point rushing them, will both be there opening night. Forward core has great potential this season. ferraro, mappin and green looks great. coetzee seemed to do better in the morning session, while kambeitz and cowen are playing with more confidence and size. should be a good battle for the 20 year spots, aas deagle and esposito both fared well. The lad from innisfail (name??) should have a good shot at making the club on the backend this year.

all in all, impressive first day, looking forward to what should be a good year

chainsaw
08-23-2009, 08:13 PM
burr, macallum, dumba and pluhal seemed to have the most potential of all the rookies. dumba looked great out there specifically. RNH and siwak seemed to be battling some sickness. no point rushing them, will both be there opening night. Forward core has great potential this season. ferraro, mappin and green looks great. coetzee seemed to do better in the morning session, while kambeitz and cowen are playing with more confidence and size. should be a good battle for the 20 year spots, aas deagle and esposito both fared well. The lad from innisfail (name??) should have a good shot at making the club on the backend this year.

all in all, impressive first day, looking forward to what should be a good year

Nick Bell. (Innisfail) He loves to carry the puck. I didn't see much of that this afternoon, but, I've never known him to hang back in the shadows for too long. I won't be suprised if he cuts loose & does some rushing tommorow.

-Speaking of puck rushing(!!!)- Matt Dumba reeled off a beauty. Eerily Phaneuf-esque...the way he curled & loaded up w/ a head of steam before attacking down the LW boards.

Burr was on a line with Mayor & Robinson. They were the best line in the rookie scrimmage, IMO.

SectionNDeserter
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Spent the day at training camp today. In addition to RNH being ill, Jindrich Barak was as well, and Oursov is apparently still suffering from concussion symptoms... Joel Kot didn't report, which I guess helps our logjam of 90's a bit.

In addition to Dumba, Burr Mayor and Robinson and others, Balfour had 3 goals and a few assists. Persson looks like he will need to adapt to the North American game a bit, but went to the net hard a number of times, and scored a beautiful backhander during the scrimmage. Was also impressed with Jim Playfair's boy Jackson. Looks like a tank (about 5'11 and over 200lbs at 15 years old), likes to hit and tended to be a little greasy after every whistle--He was who Pufahl was trying to fight when he got injured. Though his skating appeared to need some work, he seemed to get by ok, scoring a goal and getting a few other breakaway opportunities.

tiny
08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh, oh. What a start to training camp ... me agreeing with SND. LOL I would just add how excited I am with the prospects of having Bresciani, Dumba, Pufahl, Deagle, Woodyatt, and Petrovic all moving up as a group in the next three or four years.
Biggest surprises for me at rookie camp were Balfour's effectiveness and how Mayor, Robinson, and Burr played together.
I believe Mappin and Weller sat out the morning drills because of sessions that included Brandon Sutter with specialized coaching/training .True?

chainsaw
08-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Spent the day at training camp today. In addition to RNH being ill, Jindrich Barak was as well, and Oursov is apparently still suffering from concussion symptoms... Joel Kot didn't report, which I guess helps our logjam of 90's a bit.

In addition to Dumba, Burr Mayor and Robinson and others, Balfour had 3 goals and a few assists. Persson looks like he will need to adapt to the North American game a bit, but went to the net hard a number of times, and scored a beautiful backhander during the scrimmage. Was also impressed with Jim Playfair's boy Jackson. Looks like a tank (about 5'11 and over 200lbs at 15 years old), likes to hit and tended to be a little greasy after every whistle--He was who Pufahl was trying to fight when he got injured. Though his skating appeared to need some work, he seemed to get by ok, scoring a goal and getting a few other breakaway opportunities.

I saw Playfair on the concourse, after his scrimmage. He is definatley +200. Quite a rookie crop, overall. Indeed.

SectionNDeserter
08-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Oh, oh. What a start to training camp ... me agreeing with SND. LOLIt was only a matter of time before you smartened up! ;)

I would just add how excited I am with the prospects of having Bresciani, Dumba, Pufahl, Deagle, Woodyatt, and Petrovic all moving up as a group in the next three or four years.After day one of camp, I have Woodyatt as one of the frontrunners to crack the lineup on the blueline this season. He is keeping his game simple in camp, and at the same time he hasn't made many errors out there (if any) like some of the other prospects.

If it were up to me, I would give Bresciani a shot on the roster this year as a #7 defenseman as well. He is incredibly mobile, and has a superb first pass out of his zone, in addition to being able to move well with the puck if required. On top of that he looked fantastic paired with Dumba, and it would be nice to keep that chemistry together for next year, as well as giving Bresciani 30-40 games of experience prior to next season.

I believe Mappin and Weller sat out the morning drills because of sessions that included Brandon Sutter with specialized coaching/training .True?I think there might be a bit of a flu going through the team at the moment as well, a few players I saw out there, like Petrovic for example, didn't look like they were feeling very well.

Shinyshoes
08-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I think there might be a bit of a flu going through the team at the moment as well, a few players I saw out there, like Petrovic for example, didn't look like they were feeling very well.
Petrovic pulled his groin, and is out as a precaution only.

From Andrew Walkers Blog (http://bigdrivesports.blogspot.com/):
-Injuires and illness are already taking their toll, as both Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Daulton Siwak were nowhere to be found. Siwak, the 16 year-old Olds, AB. product, has Mono, and will miss the duration of training camp. Nugent Hopkins is getting bloodwork done after his bout with an illness, and his status for the next three days is questionable. Import defenseman Jindra Barak also didn't skate on day one after coming down with flu-like symptoms, and a number of players are said to be feeling a a little bit "under the weather".

16 year-old defenseman Matt Pufahl had his shoulder pop out, and his status for Monday is uncertain. 17 year-old defenseman Alex Petrovic left the evening scrimmage with a tweaked groin, but at this point, it's said to be a precautionary measure.

Red celtic
08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Was there for the Monday morning rookie session. Moved Burr over to the white team to even things up after The Sunday afternoon affair.
Over all good session standouts this morning were Batemen (2 goals,) McMurphy, McCoy and Burr for team White. Team Burgandy standouts were Dumba, Bresciani,and Colton Mayor also Robak played with a lot more intensity this morning. Playfair again play with a lot of grit and must be making a impression (I think they will list that kid) Will be there again this afternoon. Also SectionN I still think I would take Madill, and or Bresciani over Woodyatt.

chainsaw
08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Monday afternoon rookie scrimmage:

Dumba demolished Paul Lamoureux with an open ice check. Dumba is a dominant athlete. He's cutting loose, rushing everytime he touches the puck. Scored once and could have had more, if he hits the net on a few hard shots.

Lamoureux is a decent sized player himself, it wasn't like Dumba was picking on a weaker skater. I think the rest of the camp might become a contest to see who can dummy Dumba...

Marc Mcoy & Lamoureux have both been unafraid to go back at him thus far.

Burr on the other side, makes quite a difference. Does that mean he's the best forward out there?

In the Main Camp - Basically, Mappin, Green, Esposito & Coetzee ran away with the game.

I think it was...

Deagle & Esposito- were swinging hard at each other(>?) Deagle got bumped up Ferarro's RW for the last half of the evening scrum. He handled it better than Redmond was...(he really seems to struggle staying on his feet thus far).

I liked some of Woodyatt's hits on day 1. Today he may have been less physical and I definatley noticed that he doesn't move around to set up his point shots.

Overall..the main scrimmage was choppy. I can't say I picked up anything of substance other than maybe picking out a runt in the litter. No sense in dropping his name, I'm sure the coach see's it though.vc1tt

chainsaw
08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Thats it for TC 2009.

I think Woodyatt will make this team.

2 days ago...I thought Jesse Mireau was the wost hockey player in the entire camp...rookies inclusive.

But the last 2 scrimmages have left me confusicated.

Is this guy terrible and lucky or is he 'intentionally slow'?

Also: Was I the only one having trouble understanding P/A man Troy Gillard, tonight?

SectionNDeserter
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Thats it for TC 2009.

I think Woodyatt will make this team.I agree. He isn't the most skilled defenseman, but unlike nearly every other defensemen I saw at camp, he seems to be aware of his limitations, and plays within them. He also has a pretty decent point shot.

2 days ago...I thought Jesse Mireau was the wost hockey player in the entire camp...rookies inclusive.

Is this guy terrible and lucky or is he 'intentionally slow'?I didn't think he was one of the worst players, but certainly he wasn't one of the best conditioned--he looked like he was going to puke after the first set of skating drills on day one of camp. He can skate, I have seen him, he just doesn't seem overly inspired away from the puck. One thing is for sure, he knows how to score goals.

Also: Was I the only one having trouble understanding P/A man Troy Gillard, tonight?I am pretty sure they didn't have all the speakers on. I couldn't understand him until I moved to the lower level in the 3rd.

chainsaw
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
N:

Woody's shot might be 'ok' but didn't you notice that he shoots with his feet planted all the time?

I don't know if thats a flaw or a coincidence. Haven't seen enough to know, I guess. But ya...he gets the job done and I watched him closely tonight... he's got some poise/mind. Normally I knee-jerkedly run down American-born(s)...but...this kid is ok in my book.

Idunno about Mireau. He caught my eye, initially, because of how much he SUCT...he seemed SO slow and disinterested...but...in the last 2 scrimmy's...he's showed me something.

I've seen his type before.

He's a poacher. The greasiest, unimpressive-ist, least grindiest type of centre you will ever see...and yet...he makes little, tiny, unseen.... plays...which don't require any real skill or conditioning to execute...but...it can sometimes work like a charm.

That being said...if the other team doesn't make stupid mistakes...how many chances to make the play does Mireau get?

I'm not being critical. Just asking...as an arm chair team President.

I mean....I have NOT seen him skate, (unlike you). I don't think he can...at all...but...I think he MIGHT be a sniper in scrubs clothing.

RDRebelsfan
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Thats it for TC 2009.

I think Woodyatt will make this team.

Is this guy terrible and lucky or is he 'intentionally slow'?

Also: Was I the only one having trouble understanding P/A man Troy Gillard, tonight?

I could him hear him fine, maybe it's the speakers on your end. Or age is creeping up to you. haha

chainsaw
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
I could him hear him fine, maybe it's the speakers on your end. Or age is creeping up to you. haha

Nope. I'm sure it was the speaker system, RD. LOL.

Seriously...u could hear it????

Maybe I DO need to schedule an appointment with the Ear Dr.:groovy:

RDRebelsfan
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Nope. I'm sure it was the speaker system, RD. LOL.

Seriously...u could hear it????

Maybe I DO need to schedule an appointment with the Ear Dr.:groovy:

Yea I could hear it fine, I was 1st row in UU or VV one of those two, same thing.

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
N:

Woody's shot might be 'ok' but didn't you notice that he shoots with his feet planted all the time?I didn't notice that, but if that is what it takes for a solid shot to hit the net 6 inches off the ice, maybe all of our defensemen should plant both their feet before they shoot. ;)

Normally I knee-jerkedly run down American-born(s)...but...this kid is ok in my book.Apparently he was born in Ontario, and moved to Arizona when he was 9 or 10.

Idunno about Mireau. He caught my eye, initially, because of how much he SUCT...he seemed SO slow and disinterested...but...in the last 2 scrimmy's...he's showed me something.

That being said...if the other team doesn't make stupid mistakes...how many chances to make the play does Mireau get?
I didn't actually see him skate until about day 2 or 3 of camp, up until then he spent a lot of time coasting or standing in one spot. I think based on the last scrimmage and the black and white game, he is going to get a bit longer look in some preseason games before they make any sort of decision on him, but he is probably going to have to get in better shape if he is going to stick with this team (or at least move his feet a bit). I would also feel a lot better about keeping him if he were 16 or 17, but he is 18.