PDA

View Full Version : Assistant coach

BugsBunny
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Just wondering if and when Preston is going to announce his other assistant coach. I was under the impression that it would be a goalie coach. However, my spies say that Rich Sutter has been meeting with Preston on a regular
basis. Boy all the people in the King Richard camp would be happy if that happened. Stay tuned......announcement coming soon, methinks.

clrkthjGo Canes Go!

Edmonton city of Champions......Lethbridge city of continual complainers!

Hockey Watcher
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Sounds like the Canes are getting back on track and it willl be a better year!
Go Canes:groovy:

Toe Drag
07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Just wondering if and when Preston is going to announce his other assistant coach. I was under the impression that it would be a goalie coach. However, my spies say that Rich Sutter has been meeting with Preston on a regular
basis. Boy all the people in the King Richard camp would be happy if that happened. Stay tuned......announcement coming soon, methinks.

clrkthjGo Canes Go!
Wow, it would be fabulous to have Rich Sutter on the bench with Preston. Don't think beating Calgary will be an issue this year. They hired a very young inexperienced coach today from Portland.
Go Canes Go!!

Bocephus
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow, it would be fabulous to have Rich Sutter on the bench with Preston. Don't think beating Calgary will be an issue this year. They hired a very young inexperienced coach today from Portland.
Go Canes Go!!
? Williamson has 500 WHL games under his coaching belt.

localguy
07-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Yes, but around here doesn't seem to mean that he has a clue about anything. haha

shushu
07-22-2009, 10:25 PM

clrkthjGo Canes Go!

it keeps the day interesting for all of us canes fans that dont have any.....................i still hope preston hires a goalie coach, sutter would help ticket sales but a goalie coach would help the team more................cant wait for the start of season, even training camp...................

Toe Drag
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I am sorry Bocephus, what I meant to say was, he has not had much experience winning. Coached 522 games and won 217. My apologies
On that note, if he has as much success with the Hitmen as he did in Portland, then Calgary is going to get a schwack of 1st pick overalls.

Toe Drag
07-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I am sorry Bocephus, what I meant to say was, he has not had much experience winning. Coached 522 games and won 217. My apologies
On that note, if he has as much success with the Hitmen as he did in Portland, then Calgary is going to get a schwack of 1st pick overalls.

And of those 8 years in Portland as Head Coach, he only had two seasons above 500.
Calgary loves to win, you can start the clock ticking on his dismissal . This is our chance to win a few games back from the Hitmen

Bocephus
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Noted.

BugsBunny
07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
it keeps the day interesting for all of us canes fans that dont have any.....................i still hope preston hires a goalie coach, sutter would help ticket sales but a goalie coach would help the team more................cant wait for the start of season, even training camp...................

Training camp will be held at Adams Ice Arena before the Canes head out for their exhibition games (all on the road). It will be interesting to see how much is done to the Enmax Center between now and Oct 9th.

clrkthj Go Canes Go!

Lethbridge: City of Continual Complainers

SectionNDeserter
07-23-2009, 06:33 PM
And of those 8 years in Portland as Head Coach, he only had two seasons above 500.According to hockeydb.com Mike Williamsons's coaching stats (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=22899) 5 of his 8 seasons were over .500. That being said, I wouldn't be penciling him into the hall of fame yet...

metalrules
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM
I can't believe camp is being held at adams... what a venue, best ice in Lethbridge. It will be a fast pace I can't wait.

Toe Drag
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
According to hockeydb.com Mike Williamsons's coaching stats (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=22899) 5 of his 8 seasons were over .500. That being said, I wouldn't be penciling him into the hall of fame yet...

Could someone please explain to me what a .500 winning percentage is? I was of the impression, that .500 hockey was if you coached "X" amount of games, that at least half of those games or more had to be wins. Again,someone seems determined that Prestopn has 5 winning seasons out of 8. I only see two seasons where Preston was Head Coach, and he at least won half his games. Sorry maybe I just had too many wobbly pops last night lol.

Toe Drag
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Could someone please explain to me what a .500 winning percentage is? I was of the impression, that .500 hockey was if you coached "X" amount of games, that at least half of those games or more had to be wins. Again,someone seems determined that Prestopn has 5 winning seasons out of 8. I only see two seasons where Preston was Head Coach, and he at least won half his games. Sorry maybe I just had too many wobbly pops last night lol.
Sorry I meant Willianson lol see what I mean

Toe Drag
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry I meant Willianson lol see what I mean
I am startiing tosober up...I get it

metalrules
07-26-2009, 11:17 PM

clrkthjGo Canes Go!

I heard that Preston wanted to hire Sutter, but the board vetoed the hiring... good to see that they have not learned anything yet.

RYLAH
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Anybody read the paper this morning? There was an article on the sports page, and Dylan Purcell (last name?), the writer, noted a rumor that Preston will be adding to his "riches" soon (not an exact quote but that is pretty close to how he worded it). He mentioned that they'll be adding an assistant coach and a goalie coach. No mention was made about the board vetoing any hirings. Sounds like it should be announced shortly. We'll have to see what happens.

shushu
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Anybody read the paper this morning? There was an article on the sports page, and Dylan Purcell (last name?), the writer, noted a rumor that Preston will be adding to his "riches" soon (not an exact quote but that is pretty close to how he worded it). He mentioned that they'll be adding an assistant coach and a goalie coach. No mention was made about the board vetoing any hirings. Sounds like it should be announced shortly. We'll have to see what happens.

i wonder if matt will be given his walking papers when his contract is up....

metalrules
07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Well is it Richard Park, Mike Richter, Richard Kromm, Luke Richardson until I see it in print or on the news I don't believe the board will let Rich Sutter be hired. I hope I am wrong and have to eat crow but we will all have to wait and see.

Brandonite
07-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Well is it Richard Park, Mike Richter, Richard Kromm, Luke Richardson until I see it in print or on the news I don't believe the board will let Rich Sutter be hired. I hope I am wrong and have to eat crow but we will all have to wait and see.

Im cerious to know who it will be as well but Mike Richter?? That would be AWESOME!! Mike Richter is a beaut !! Never gonna happen though. What about Teddy Nolan?

loudi94
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
i wonder if matt will be given his walking papers when his contract is up....

Depends on how the season goes. He's got one year left. He picked up the ball these last few months when everyone around him were dropping like flies. He was doing the coach's and Gm's job at an assistants salary. If they dump him next season, they better have a bloody good reason.

BugsBunny
08-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Matt's position with the Hurricanes certainly could be in question, but that happens anytime a new gm/coach is hired. But Matt does know the players, Matt does know the team's shortcomings, and Matt is a quieting influence (positive)for the players. He has also been a big asset to Preston since he arrived. I would imagine that Matt is also looking forward to working with someone that has as much experience as Preston does as it is a learning process for him. I can see the day that Matt will be a head coach in the "Dub".
As for Rich Sutter, I beleive that he and Preston are still looking at the possibility of Rich working for the club in some capacity.

Go Canes Go!

Lethbridge the City of Complainers