PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at Pogge

loudi94
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm having quite a discussion on another board regarding Pogge. I contend that he while being a competent keeper, was definitely a product of being on a very strong defensive team that may have boosted his stats. I know his purpose was to have playoff success and that didn't happen. What do the experts here have to say?

Brandonite
07-23-2009, 05:07 PM
He is alot like Tyler Plante in that alot of people would argue it was the team in front of him that made him the goalie he is. Both Pogge & Plante had an unreal cast in front which made their job easier. I honestly thought Pogge would have made better of his chances in Toronto and I suspect Burke will trade him shortly, his patience will run thin on this kid real quick. There were such high hopes and I think getting out of Toronto is the best thing for him. I really do think Plante will be the back up in Florida this year especially seeing as Craig Anderson is gone. Look for Plante to finally hit the show

Hitmen1
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I think Pogge had the one great year and imo is really just a career minor leaguer. I don't think he will ever be a regular in the NHL.

loudi94
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I think Pogge had the one great year and imo is really just a career minor leaguer. I don't think he will ever be a regular in the NHL.

Yeah, but while he was having that great year, did you expect he was going to move on to better things or was it clear back then that he wasn't anything special?

AlanC
07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but while he was having that great year, did you expect he was going to move on to better things or was it clear back then that he wasn't anything special?

I always thought he was an above-average WHL goalie whose stats (and reputation) were greatly elevated by the team he played behind. But he was a good goalie, just not as good as his stats might suggest. I mean, he did very well for Canada at the World Juniors facing the best players in the world; no matter who your teammates are, you're going to have problems against shooters of that calibre if you don't have some ability.

Pogge's biggest weakness was (and still is, as far as I can tell) between his ears. He's an easygoing, laid back guy who doesn't give the impression that he takes very much seriously. I think he has the ability to be an NHL goalie at some point in his future but he has to mentally become a pro first. Maybe he never will.

Hitmen1
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
TSN has reported that Pogge will be traded to the Ducks tomorrow. I don't see him making the Ducks this fall with both Giguere and Hiller still around. I guess he is a good depth goalie for the Ducks.