PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2009 - 2010 Season

dsquared
08-07-2009, 06:41 PM
What are your thoughts on the up coming season?

I see another lean year ahead - I do not expect Eberle or Teubert to return despite our thoughts that they are not be ready - both NHL teams will be forced to make some youthful additions. (Quinn seems keen on Eberle after the world juniors)

For once in a long time our 20 year olds will be home grown. I see them as: Leffler, Delahey and 1 of Strueby, Rowat or Czibere.

Goalies: We have a dilemma with Rowat, Kelto and Tendler. My hope is that they trade Rowat but I fear Parker will trade one of the youngsters probably Tendler and it will come back to haunt us. For now I say Rowat is going to grab the last 20 year old spot

Defence: I see Delahey, Bell, Pym, Perrault, Scarborough and another rookie Borstmayer?

Forwards: Leffler, Weal, Mitchell, Hood, Favreau, Hricina (is he coming back?), Poletin, Mulder, Stevenson?, Hildebrandt? a forward they get for 1 of the goalies and the zamboni driver.

Without Eberle and Teubert it is going to be a struggle and won't make the playoffs again
________
Redhead live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/redhead-girls/)

Boltz9
08-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm still hoping Eberle comes back and the Pats struggle so he can get traded here to win a Mem Cup. But we Brandon fans like to dream.

witness
08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
On the backend you have Brandan Davidson that I think will make the team. There is also Enns, Graham and Sparrow that will be given a chance. Borstmeyer is ahead of Pavkovich, but who knows.

At forward there is Lucas Froese and Andrew Reider that should move up. The rest is a stable of 16 year olds that a couple will make the team.

The key will be, how the defense matures and secondary scoring.

Brandonite
08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
What happened to Justin Slobozian? Played about 45 games last year, didnt exactly overly impress me but he was only 16 and did an all right job I suppose. Definitely looked lost and out of place at times though. Is he coming back or whats the deal with him?

patsdude114
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Well looking at both the Oilers & the Kings rosters there really isnt room for Eberle in Edmonton as a 19 yr old. Eberle has the hands but doesnt have the speed or strength to compete in the NHL just yet. Quinn may be high on Eberle but if Quinn plays his cards right having Eberle back in junior & playing on Team Canada again is Eberle's best bet. Quinn really doesnt like younger players either he is more prone on veterns.

As for the Kings, after acquiring Smyth from Colorado for Quincey & Preissing. Which did open up 2 spots on the Kings backend. The kings did replace 1 of those Dmen with Scuderi (from PIT) keep in mind Jack Johnson was hurt all of last year. Thomas Hickey is in the running before Teubert gets a chance. Teubert still needs to mature more & work on his positioning. Im sure the kings know his development will excel under Hunt a defensive minded coach.

So with what i have said i would think Eberle & Teubert will both be back. They will stay up in the NHL longer this season though, play more preseason games so the pats may not get these players back until 10 games into our season. Which wouldnt surprise me at all.

As for the rest of our team

Goalies: We have a dilemma with Rowat, Kelto and Tendler. My hope is that they trade Rowat but I fear Parker will trade one of the youngsters probably Tendler and it will come back to haunt us. For now I say Rowat is going to grab the last 20 year old spot

Your fear of tradeing Tendler is just insane. There is no way Parker will trade Tendler. Tendler needs to learn under a vetern goalie though. Ketlo i can see being traded our west to a BC team where he is from. Tradeing Ketlo wont hurt the pats between the pipes. I do see Rowat making the team, it wasnt Rowat's fault he had terrible numbers under a no defense team with Derkatch. Hunt will have alot of structure in our own end which will help Rowat & Teubert.

For once in a long time our 20 year olds will be home grown. I see them as: Leffler, Delahey and 1 of Strueby, Rowat or Czibere.

Dont hold your breathe on Delahey coming back. He has a very great chance of making Lowel Devils (NJ AHL team) I for 1 dont expect him back at all. It will be nice though to have some 20 yr olds on our team where we have watched them mature over the years. Leffler, Rowat & Streuby are my guesses to make this team. Czibere doesnt play a big enough role to make this team as a 20 yr old & just be taking away ice from a 17 yr old.

The Pats will make the playoffs this year. I may be reaching for the stars here but i see the pats battling it out with Swift Current & Saskatoon for 2nd. Im giving Brandon 1st place right off the hope due to them hosting the Memorial Cup. Scheen & Glennie will tear it up this year (again) & Brandon will be bringing in some older players as well from other teams. Just dont hold your breathe on Eberle. The Pats rnt in diar need of prospects back in return. I would be completely different if the Pats needed to stock up on prospects for the upcoming years but that is not the case.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Its even more complicated in net. Along with Rowat, Ketlo and Tendler is list player Dawson Guhle(92), who tore up the Alberta AAA league argueably as well as Tendler in the Sask. If Guhle outplays Tendler, I could see Tendler being considered for trading, due to a high value right now, and a huge dropoff if we dont/didnt.

I think if all goes right, the pats could have a decent offence, but this years D is going to need some help even if Deli. Him, Teubert and Pym(sparingly) are the only guys who have played top 4 minutes before... Scarborough could/should be sent to junior A, and Perreault needs more work too. I hope we bring in another veteran D to take the pressure off.

This years team, despite being weaker than the last 2 squads could make an equal or larger impact this year(not saying all that much). They could either be, on a scale of 1-10, as high as a 7 or as low as a 3. Hard to tell this year.

Probably battling for 3rd with the ponies, behind wheat kings and blades. MJ could be a surprise team next year too.

nivek_wahs
08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Its even more complicated in net. Along with Rowat, Ketlo and Tendler is list player Dawson Guhle(92), who tore up the Alberta AAA league argueably as well as Tendler in the Sask. If Guhle outplays Tendler, I could see Tendler being considered for trading, due to a high value right now, and a huge dropoff if we dont/didnt.I have heard a rumour and I don't know if it is actually true or not..... Guhle may have been dropped from the Pats list.... I kinda hope not.... it would make for a great battle in net. I do think that Tendler is the Pats future. Then again I am just a fan.

Edit: My source was off on the Guhle thing. I hope he comes in and competes.

nivek_wahs
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Well looking at both the Oilers & the Kings rosters there really isnt room for Eberle in Edmonton as a 19 yr old. Eberle has the hands but doesnt have the speed or strength to compete in the NHL just yet. Quinn may be high on Eberle but if Quinn plays his cards right having Eberle back in junior & playing on Team Canada again is Eberle's best bet. Quinn really doesnt like younger players either he is more prone on veterns.

As for the Kings, after acquiring Smyth from Colorado for Quincey & Preissing. Which did open up 2 spots on the Kings backend. The kings did replace 1 of those Dmen with Scuderi (from PIT) keep in mind Jack Johnson was hurt all of last year. Thomas Hickey is in the running before Teubert gets a chance. Teubert still needs to mature more & work on his positioning. Im sure the kings know his development will excel under Hunt a defensive minded coach.

So with what i have said i would think Eberle & Teubert will both be back. They will stay up in the NHL longer this season though, play more preseason games so the pats may not get these players back until 10 games into our season. Which wouldnt surprise me at all.In all honesty I can't believe I am saying this... but I agree with patsdude punk rock

nivek_wahs
08-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Your fear of tradeing Tendler is just insane. There is no way Parker will trade Tendler. Tendler needs to learn under a vetern goalie though. Ketlo i can see being traded our west to a BC team where he is from. Tradeing Ketlo wont hurt the pats between the pipes. I do see Rowat making the team, it wasnt Rowat's fault he had terrible numbers under a no defense team with Derkatch. Hunt will have alot of structure in our own end which will help Rowat & Teubert.I think the goaltending situation will be decided upon the Pats choice's in their overage situation. In all honesty I again agree with patsdude (oh the humanity :laugh:.... just bugging). Trading Ketlo would probably be the best situation.... that is if Rowat is back. Stranger things have happened. Brent Parker will NOT trade Tendler.

nivek_wahs
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Dont hold your breathe on Delahey coming back. He has a very great chance of making Lowel Devils (NJ AHL team) I for 1 dont expect him back at all. It will be nice though to have some 20 yr olds on our team where we have watched them mature over the years. Leffler, Rowat & Streuby are my guesses to make this team. Czibere doesnt play a big enough role to make this team as a 20 yr old & just be taking away ice from a 17 yr old.

Regarding the Pats overage situation I have to disagree with Delahey going pro. I think missing a bunch of games with his injury set him back pretty big (and with the coaching it didn't help him any). With Leffler's injury history I can't see too many teams taking a flier on him at this time (until he can stay healthy for another full season). I don't see Czibere making this team... he may have brought leadership last season but it was on the sinking ship called the 08-09 Pats. Rowat will most likely be back (but could be trade bait come deadline time.... but we have said that the last 3 years lol). Matt Strueby might be the odd man out but then again he is a Regina product and is already playing at home so.... he might just be our 2nd line centre. Delahey, Leffler and Rowat would bring in more value... I think. I just hope the right players are picked and Hunt can turn the ship around.

patsdude114
08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
[/U]
Regarding the Pats overage situation I have to disagree with Delahey going pro. I think missing a bunch of games with his injury set him back pretty big (and with the coaching it didn't help him any).

I really hope im wrong with the Delahey comment. He did play was it 1 or 2 exhibition games with Lowell Devils last season. NJ doesnt have that much depth on there blueline in the minors, which is why i think Delahey has a great chance. Delahey skates very good for his size, he doesnt shy away from the pyshical play. Could prob fight abit more though.

With Leffler's injury history I can't see too many teams taking a flier on him at this time (until he can stay healthy for another full season).

Leffler will be back this season no questions there, he is a free agent since the 2009 draft & from the sounds of it has no team biteing. He will be back for another year of junior, i could see another 30 goal campain if he is healthy all season.

Matt Strueby might be the odd man out but then again he is a Regina product and is already playing at home so.... he might just be our 2nd line centre.

Matt Strueby i do believe will be part of this team as well, Matt scored 25 goals last season. Keep in mind it was a VERY streaky year for him. He really needs to work on being more consistant if he has any chance of getting a overseas pro deal (may be reaching for the stars here) or even CIS

wango tango
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but eberle has one huge plus working in his favour for making the oilers lineup, he's cheap. he'd make rookie money and be a tiny cap hit for the oilers. seems to be a growing trend in the nhl of keeping 19 year olds.

eberle made the jump to the ahl easily. 9 points in 9 games. his level of play rises to the level of competition and his teammates. he'll get more than a cup of coffee with the oilers this season.

teubert will be returned by the kings. physically he is ready. his puck possession, and passing all need work to be nhl calibre.

should eberle not return to the pats, regina will be a good darkhorse candidate to make the playoffs. hunts return will help bring accountability back to the dressing room.

nivek_wahs
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but eberle has one huge plus working in his favour for making the oilers lineup, he's cheap. he'd make rookie money and be a tiny cap hit for the oilers. seems to be a growing trend in the nhl of keeping 19 year olds.

eberle made the jump to the ahl easily. 9 points in 9 games. his level of play rises to the level of competition and his teammates. he'll get more than a cup of coffee with the oilers this season.

teubert will be returned by the kings. physically he is ready. his puck possession, and passing all need work to be nhl calibre.

should eberle not return to the pats, regina will be a good darkhorse candidate to make the playoffs. hunts return will help bring accountability back to the dressing room.In all honesty I do agree with Eberle BUT I am hoping that he will make a return to wear the red, white and blue.... fingers are crossed.

patsdude114
08-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Yes Eberle will come alot cheaper for the Oilers but the Oilers have cap space anyways. Plus with Quinn as the head coach it gives Schremp a chance to make this team along with others in the AHL. The Oilers already have a very young roster. Oilers have other young prospects as well who will get a look before Eberle, players such as Marc Pouliot, Jean-Francois Jacques, Gilbert Brule, Liam Reddox & Ryan Potulny they are also all cheap players who can fill a roster spot.

Quinn has a very strong history of not rushing young players. Yes Quinn coached Eberle at the WJs but idont think that is going to change much. The Oilers had stated before that there not going to rush Eberle into the NHL. You look at the young players who have made the jump to the NHL it has been cuz they can really skate. Eberle's weak part of his game is his skating. He isnt going to blow by anyone cuz of his foot speed. He gets pushed off the puck very easily cuz he isnt strong enough. Eberle finds the soft spots on the ice & has a great release. He will have problems finding those spots when he is faceing NHL experienced defensemen.

I do believe Eberle will dress for a couple NHL regular season games early in the year. Just to give him a feel for it & show him where he needs to be to be NHL ready. Eberle doesnt really dominate in the WHL, yes he scores but he needs someone to get him the puck when in a scoring position. He is nothing flashy.

I dont think Eberle can steal a spot on the top 2 lines & i really dont think the Oilers want to waste a year of Eberle's entry contract if he isnt playing on the 1st or 2nd line. Eberle is a RW & you know Hemsky will stay on the 1st line & Patrick O'Sullivan as a #2 RW really doesnt make it easy for Eberle.

For a Eberle type player (offensively gifted) it doesnt make sense to waste a year of his entry level contract when he wont be on the top 2 lines. Plus the WJs are in his home province another year of on Team Canada would benefit him tons in his progress in his career. Very few players who are able to be sent to the World Junior team who are in the NHL actualy get released to go play in the tournament. Once the players are eating up a year of there entry level deal it makes more sense for them to be actually playing in the NHL.

nivek_wahs
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I think if all goes right, the pats could have a decent offence, but this years D is going to need some help even if Deli. Him, Teubert and Pym(sparingly) are the only guys who have played top 4 minutes before... Scarborough could/should be sent to junior A, and Perreault needs more work too. I hope we bring in another veteran D to take the pressure off.http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/pats-hockey/Stakes+high+Regina+Pats+open+training+camp/1910267/story.html

The decision of veteran Mike Scarborough to join the university ranks could also open the door for young newcomers.....

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-20-2009, 02:56 AM
university, junior A...whatever. Kind of thought he wasnt coming back. Nice defensive guy, but just was no factor offensively at all. He made Reinhart look like the second coming of Coffey. If anything, this means we need another veteran(not a rookie to fill his shoes). A defensive minded minute eater as insurance in case pym doesnt play like a top 4 guy, or barring any other surprises. Bell, Slobo, etc still need more time anyways before jumping up there. Maybe mid season, but not now...since we all saw what that did last year to the young guys.

At this point, rebuilding isnt an option. Its getting too pathetic to think about, since we might as well call ourselves the Regina "Joe Thorntons" at this point. If we are a borderline team at the moment, then we need to add pieces to make this team ascend to a contender...and by contender I mean a second round team at least. This years slogan should be "Now, or Never" for reasons everybody knows but not everbody is willing to say.

I get the feeling Parker's tenure is nearing an end and Im sure he wants to go out with a bang anyways, future team assets be damned. Only a matter of time before Sillinger/Heward come calling.

patsdude114
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Parker has went for it twice & its backfired twice as well... the 1st time was back in (i believe) 1998 when we had Holden, Cirjack, Kane, Petrovicky, Stuart, Hoople, Jackman, Calder & G. Adams that was a team & injuries came around in the 2nd round of playoffs & we all know how that ended.

His 2nd time around was not much better, 2001 Memorial Cup year, trades away future (Belle, Keller, Brown) to get guys such as Elliott, Exalby, Evans & again it backfired with a 1st round exit.

I think Parker should just face it that he has been successful during his time as GM but his teams always failed come playoff time. Be it coaching/players/management it may be a factor of all 3 but its not working out. Time to move on hopfully this is his last year.