PDA

View Full Version : penner and martin refuse camp invites

westbeach55
08-19-2009, 11:02 PM
says on drew wilson's blog that cole penner along with brent martin refused invites to training camp. kinda shocked martin refused to show up

Dwight Schrute
08-20-2009, 04:16 AM
odd that martin would

westbeach55
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM
yeah wasn't expecting that but i mean if you don't want to play stay home. Its to bad penner now won't give us any return in a trade.

SaskHockeyFan
08-20-2009, 07:43 AM
PA was never going to get anything in return for trading Penner. It has been known for too long what his actual value to a team is. His deciding not to attend camp will have little impact on his "value". Him staying away from camp will actually make camp better as he wont be a distraction for the players who actually worked hard all summer and want to try and make the team. I am surprised by Martin though. But, that being said, might as well let Bruno know now that you don't want to stay rather than suffering under Bruno until Thanksgiving then going home.

westbeach55
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
first of all, penner was never worth any kind of value. I was just stating it sucks to have a first round bust that we can't get anything for. As far as bruno goes i think he has done a great job, firing scouts bringing in new ones, hiring some key ppl in positions to assist him (steve young and strength coach) he's bringing in free agent pick ups. I would rather pay money to go watch games where the players are playing want to be there. i guess will see this weekend at camp how we look

SaskHockeyFan
08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
So we agree on Penner and don't agree on Bruno. That's OK with me. Not everyone likes every GM and coach. What I had hoped for was that Bruno would get off the ice and the bench and let Steve coach the team. Now we have Bruno and Derkatch and I don't think either is capable of being a GM or coach in this league. But this is a Penner / Martin thread so I will keep it at that. I would agree 100% with the fact that Penner is a bust. Actually, what will be nice is after he is either dropped and picked up by another team or traded we can stop hearing from Domino about how sad it is that Penner isn't a Raider and hasn't been given a fair chance. I would think Bruno will not drop him though and would wait for a trade no matter how small. I would think Bruno would want to somewhat decide who would get Penner's rights. I don't think Bruno wants the Raiders to play Penner 8 times a year if a divisional rival was to pick him up. He is such a s**t disturber I wouldn't put it past him to do something stupid every time you play him. Not that he would score at all or be an offensive threat. Just cause s**t.

westbeach55
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
all i know is picked my season tickets up and ready for a good year of hockey along with couple islanders games and the world juniors should keep me busy most of the winter

SaskHockeyFan
08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't think Sutter would want any part of what Penner brings to the rink. I would agree on the offence part with raiderfan15. We never saw even an attempt at offensive ability. All he did was to try and be a tough guy.

Rattlesnake
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
The Alberta teams are probably last on the list of who might take a chance on Penner. They've probably heard and know more about his time in Brooks than any others.

Actually his rep is probably so well known that even if Brooks tried to trade him in the AJHL for a bag of pucks, there wouldn't be any takers.

SaskHockeyFan
08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
He wouldn't even waste his time.

Toe Drag
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
He wouldn't even waste his time.

Sounds like Sutter could very well be the answer for a derailed player. Sutter will and does use tough love toget the most out of his players. He is an excellent motivator. Even if he doesn't coach the Rebels, he could work Penner into challenging his game.

Dwight Schrute
08-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Sutter would straighten him out with just a look...

the sutter that could would be in calgary

Douglas
08-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Even Sutter cant put a player on the rails that dosen't have the drive to work as hard as it takes, expecially when the chips are down. And why should he? Countless other players are giving it thier all right all the time. Sutter has a lot of kids to pick from, and belive me when I say this, Penner has a deserved reputation that I know they are aware of.