PDA

View Full Version : training camp

patsdude114
08-23-2009, 09:22 AM
hey there just curious if anyone has checked out any scrimmages yet in Lumsden?

nivek_wahs
08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
hey there just curious if anyone has checked out any scrimmages yet in Lumsden?I've been to 8 1/2 of the 9 scrimmages that have taken place. If you have any questions feel free to post them.... I will post some thoughts later tonight or early tomorrow.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Just a few questions, answer what you can(and I know its premature to be able to make proper judgements...)

- How has Pym been, expectations wise, going into this camp? Seems like he is an X factor on defence. And do you feel the same way I do about having to bring in a vet defenceman into those group?

- Hows the new Euro? From what Ive heard he is similar to Hricina, except being a czech as opposed to a Slovak, but pretty much same game.

- What are the chances Metz and/or Ariss make the team? Also are there any standout invitees?

- Personally, I think this team needs a goon. Not(what was supposed to be) a 2 minute player who fights the occasional heavy like Elder, but a guy like Stoesz who will fight anybody and also check hard. A guy similar to Fuder or even Rypien(can dream) would be good too, just to keep teams in line.

Do you feel the same? Or do we have anyone like that at camp? (though I heard Daniels could fight, but he got cut)

- Hows the goaltending situation?

- And finally, maybe this would be better answered further on in the camp, but how are last years tweeners, like Perreault, Breitkreuz, Miller, Sparrow etc doing?

patsdude114
08-24-2009, 08:36 PM
i think SAJ asked all the questions i was thinking of....

I think Perreault has a good chance of making this team, Hunt likes big physical Dmen. Miller well you guys all know how much i love this guy so im not going to make any comment about him as a individual but say 1 thing, If Hunt thinks he can play our defense is in a world of trouble. Hunt being a old defensemen himself im sure he has already seen Miller isnt what this team needs.

How come the Pats are bringing in the Warrior has beens lol Metz & Ariss couldnt even stay on the Warrior team last year & they were very bad. There was a reason we traded away Metz in the 1st place. This kid plays scared on the ice, doesnt want to get touched. He belongs in SJHL or a beer league, where there is no hitting.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-24-2009, 08:58 PM
How come the Pats are bringing in the Warrior has beens lol Metz & Ariss couldnt even stay on the Warrior team last year & they were very bad. There was a reason we traded away Metz in the 1st place. This kid plays scared on the ice, doesnt want to get touched. He belongs in SJHL or a beer league, where there is no hitting.

Sometimes all these kids need another chance to shine, and theres no harm in a free invite. Dustin Tokarski went to 3 or 4 camps and got cut each time, until he went to the chiefs where he all the sudden played well and was eventually the Jr. gold medalist, memorial cup MVP and top NHL prospect he is today.

It isnt a certainty with Metz, but the kids got talent and its worth a shot if hes a better option than somebody else. There is always the outside chance that a scenary change can bring on new found confidence, and maybe even a good player.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Just a few questions, answer what you can(and I know its premature to be able to make proper judgements...)I will try my best...

- How has Pym been, expectations wise, going into this camp? Seems like he is an X factor on defence. And do you feel the same way I do about having to bring in a vet defenceman into those group?Pym has been excellent in my opinion, he seems to have matured a lot and will definitely have a chance to log top 4 minutes.... I would agree with you that the team needs a veteran d. When Teubert and Delahey are gone to camps who becomes the Pats vet d-man? Unless they Ariss around Pym will be our veteran dman and lots of questions after him. I think a vet d-man would be ideal.

- Hows the new Euro? From what Ive heard he is similar to Hricina, except being a czech as opposed to a Slovak, but pretty much same game.Similar style. He's a big kid but really has been tentative (I think the language barrier is hurting). He has been improving each scrimmage and I think he will put up decent numbers.

- What are the chances Metz and/or Ariss make the team? Also are there any standout invitees?In all honesty I think Metz can and will make the team. He has looked good in camp. He seems focused, ready willing and able to play in the Dub again. Ariss has looked alright (better than a few) and might just crack the lineup ahead of a few of the "tweeners" as you put it. Shaq Mirasty, Devon Allenby and Joel Harnden have looked good and any of the three could have a chance to make the team.

- Personally, I think this team needs a goon. Not(what was supposed to be) a 2 minute player who fights the occasional heavy like Elder, but a guy like Stoesz who will fight anybody and also check hard. A guy similar to Fuder or even Rypien(can dream) would be good too, just to keep teams in line.

Do you feel the same? Or do we have anyone like that at camp? (though I heard Daniels could fight, but he got cut)I think that the Pats need a true "policeman" but I don't think that they have 1 in particular. They seem to be a fight by committee yet again. Daniels could fight (last year) but his skating really lacked and wouldn't last. As there has been little to no festivities during camp I don't know what other players bring to the plate in terms of scrapping.

- Hows the goaltending situation?A nice logjam yet again. I think we have 4 quality netminders and I have no idea which way the team will lean. I do think Rowat has had a poor camp and will be dealt (maybe for that d-man). That leaves them with Ketlo, Tendler and Guhle. All 3 are quality goalies (like I said) but they really are of that unknown commodity and are basically rookies. I don't know if Parker would go with 2 17's as starters.... It would be crazy but with Hunt coaching they will do fine. I dunno but I'm sure happy I ain't management.

- And finally, maybe this would be better answered further on in the camp, but how are last years tweeners, like Perreault, Breitkreuz, Miller, Sparrow etc doing?In all honesty if I was picking the squad.....those 4 wouldn't make the team. Borstmeyer & Davidson (big and can skate, would be a good shut down duo) > Perrault & Sparrow I'm sorry but imo neither has improved much or at all). Many of the younger-ish guys > Breitkreuz (seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is playing a more of an in-your-face game that might get him a spot). Slobozian, Enns, Ariss > Miller.

I honestly won't be surprised with any decisions this year.... I would be a little cheesed if Borstmeyer and Davidson don't make the team.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
i think SAJ asked all the questions i was thinking of....

I think Perreault has a good chance of making this team, Hunt likes big physical Dmen. Miller well you guys all know how much i love this guy so im not going to make any comment about him as a individual but say 1 thing, If Hunt thinks he can play our defense is in a world of trouble. Hunt being a old defensemen himself im sure he has already seen Miller isnt what this team needs.

How come the Pats are bringing in the Warrior has beens lol Metz & Ariss couldnt even stay on the Warrior team last year & they were very bad. There was a reason we traded away Metz in the 1st place. This kid plays scared on the ice, doesnt want to get touched. He belongs in SJHL or a beer league, where there is no hitting.Perrault has looked the same as he did last year.... big and not fleet of foot and gets out of position easily (a.k.a. gets burnt real bad). Miller hasn't improved either and I think he will be on the outside looking in again.

I have heard stories about Mr. Ariss and his hockey aspirations/lack of desire to lay competitive hockey (I am not going into details) but has come into camp looking like he really wants to play here. He has size and mobility many of our d-men don't have and I think he could make this team.

With Metz.... I dunno where you got the idea he didn't want to hit or be hit.... you must be joking. He has been the first to initiate contact in many scrimmages and has won a ton of faceoffs. I know he "fell out of favour" (he had issues with a hard very old school Pat C's coach and quit) in Regina and was traded to get Myles Stoesz. He seems re-focused and has looked rather good at camp.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Training Camp Roster
As of August 23, 2009

goalies(6) pos ht wt birthdate hometown
Dawson Guhle G 5.11 160 15-Oct-92 Daysland, AB
Damien Ketlo G 6.01 180 26-Jan-91 Fort Fraser, BC
Cory Nygaard G 5.11 150 08-Apr-93 Winnipeg, MB
Jesse Rogers G 6.01 190 1992 San Ramon, CA
Linden Rowat G 6.02 181 27-Jun-89 Cochrane, AB
Derek Tendler G 5.11 201 01-Jan-92 Regina, SK

defencemen (16) pos ht wt birthdate hometown
Ty Ariss D 6.01 195 23-Jan-90 Regina, SK
Myles Bell D 6.00 185 19-Aug-93 Calgary, AB
Tyler Borstmayer D 6.03 188 23-Feb-93 St. Brieux, SK
Brandon Davidson D 6.01 185 21-Aug-91 Taber, AB
Matt Delahey D 6.03 210 25-Sep-89 Moose Jaw, SK
Aaron Enns D 6.02 190 05-Oct-91 Campbell River, BC
Hudson Friesen D 6.00 165 15-May-93 Oakbank, MB
Shamus Graham D 5.10 160 16-Jan-92 Fort Sask., AB
Rhett Holland D 6.01 200 25-Sep-93 Calgary, AB
Koltyn Miller D 6.02 176 10-Mar-91 Redvers, SK
Tyler Pavkovich D 5.11 170 10-Mar-93 Abbotsford, BC
Dominic Perrault D 6.03 210 27-Aug-91 Regina, SK
Alex Pym D 6.01 200 04-Mar-91 Winnipeg, MB
Jay Slobozian D 6.00 175 23-Jan-92 Dauphin, MB
Travis Sparrow D 6.03 190 17-Feb-91 Vanscoy, SK
Colten Teubert D 6.04 193 08-Mar-90 White Rock, BC

forwards (30) pos ht wt birthdate hometown
Devon Allenby RW 5.11 180 03-Feb-93 Chilliwack, BC
Tayler Balog LW 6.01 170 21-Apr-94 Kipling, SK
Ryan Baskerville RW 6.00 160 10-Mar-93 Edmonton, AB
Clarke Breitkreuz LW 6.00 166 11-Nov-91 Springside, SK
Thomas Cardinal LW 5.10 180 1992 Hobbema, AB
Aidan Crowther LW 6.00 165 02-Sep-93 Calgary, AB
Mitch Czibere C 5.11 185 15-Feb-89 Fort Sask., AB
Jordan Eberle RW 5.10 184 15-May-90 Regina, SK
Dominick Favreau C 5.10 175 15-Jan-92 Martensville, SK
Lucas Froese C 5.10 165 26-Nov-92 Grunthal, MB
Jason Gardiner LW 6.01 193 10-Oct-91 Winnipeg, MB
A.J. Fossen RW 5.10 190 1993 Maple Grove, MN
Joel Harnden RW 5.10 160 1993 Stony Plain, MB
Matthew Hildebrandt C 5.08 150 04-Nov-93 Rosthern, SK
Graham Hood LW 6.02 198 27-Jan-92 Martensville, SK
Tomas Hricina LW 6.02 198 31-May-90 Kosice, SLO
Brett Leffler RW 6.01 189 19-May-89 Wynyard, SK
Garrett Lockeridge LW 5.10 175 30-Apr-94 Regina, SK
Brayden Metz C 6.00 185 28-Apr-90 Regina, SK
Shaquille Mirasty LW 6.03 175 1991 Minnedosa, MB
Garrett Mitchell RW 5.11 181 02-Sep-91 Regina, SK
Kyle Mulder RW 6.01 175 13-Jun-91 East St. Paul, MB
Michal Poletin LW 6.03 210 09-Jun-91 Kosice, SLO
Dayton Reinboldt C 5.10 160 23-Apr-93 Fox Valley, SK
Andrew Rieder C 5.11 155 07-Aug-92 Regina, SK
Michael Sagen LW 5.10 150 13-Mar-93 Kenaston, SK
Chandler Stephenson C 5.09 155 22-Apr-94 Saskatoon, SK
Dyson Stevenson C 5.11 145 15-Jul-93 Shaunavon, SK
Matt Strueby C 6.01 186 20-Sep-89 Regina, SK
Jordan Weal C 5.09 160 15-Apr-92 North Vancouver, BC

witness
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I went and watched the Blue and White game last night and came to the conclussion that this is going to be a long year. There is some talent at forward, but somebody has to get them the puck. Unless the 9 veterns that sat out last night are the best 9 vets in the league ...

Vetern players that left an impression:
Slobozian - one of the only defensemen that could make a pass out of his own zone
Mitchell - provided good energy and a couple of good scoring opportunities
Weal - was a factor all night
Polentin - big body, scored a couple of goals (I know he is not a vet, but he is on the team)

Rookies that stood out in my mind:
Tendler - good positioning and made the saves that he was suppose to make
Bell - a man amoungst boys
Borstmayer - big body, can skate, kept things simple. Needs to adjust to the speed of the game
Enns - I thought he had a steady game, but they cut him (shows you what I know)
Breitkreuz - used his speed to provided pressure
Froese - good ice awareness. Made difficult plays look easy

I was a little disappointed in Davidson. I thought he held onto the puck too long. Maybe he just needs to adjust to a quicker game.

Overall, I thought the boys looked tired. The second period started with some good energy and started to become more physical, but it quickly slowed down. The Blue and White game was exactly what it was, an intersquad game. It was not a showcase for kids that are fighting for a spot on the team.

Bepoleon
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Off mind a couple players who impressed me were...
Weal and Mitchell (of course, stood out)
Froese
Metz
Guhle
Poletin
Bell

Disappointments (still with the team)...
Miller
Breitkreutz
Mulder

nivek_wahs
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I went and watched the Blue and White game last night and came to the conclussion that this is going to be a long year. There is some talent at forward, but somebody has to get them the puck. Unless the 9 veterns that sat out last night are the best 9 vets in the league ...

Vetern players that left an impression:
Slobozian - one of the only defensemen that could make a pass out of his own zone
Mitchell - provided good energy and a couple of good scoring opportunities
Weal - was a factor all night
Polentin - big body, scored a couple of goals (I know he is not a vet, but he is on the team)

Rookies that stood out in my mind:
Tendler - good positioning and made the saves that he was suppose to make
Bell - a man amoungst boys
Borstmayer - big body, can skate, kept things simple. Needs to adjust to the speed of the game
Enns - I thought he had a steady game, but they cut him (shows you what I know)
Breitkreuz - used his speed to provided pressure
Froese - good ice awareness. Made difficult plays look easy

I was a little disappointed in Davidson. I thought he held onto the puck too long. Maybe he just needs to adjust to a quicker game.

Overall, I thought the boys looked tired. The second period started with some good energy and started to become more physical, but it quickly slowed down. The Blue and White game was exactly what it was, an intersquad game. It was not a showcase for kids that are fighting for a spot on the team.I agree with most of your assessments.... With pretty much every scrimmage over the weekend when Borstmayer and Davidson were together.... they were money. It literally looked like they had been a pair for a couple of seasons. When they split the pairing up on Sunday each guy had their ups and downs but I would have to say that Davidson is a better choice than a couple of our "returning" d-men who shall remain nameless at this time.

In regards to them looking tired.... I think a lot of the players were gassed by Saturday night. Some guys that really stood out Friday were all but invisible on Saturday (and most were not there Sunday).

nivek_wahs
08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Disappointments (still with the team)...
Miller
Breitkreutz
MulderHard to get an assessment from one intrasquad game. All-in-all though I agree with 1, kinda agree with 2 and don't really agree with 3.