PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp

Boltz9
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Is anyone planning on going to watch the training camp starting Tuesday? If so it would be nice if someone could give a report.

Allin44
08-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I have to go out of town Tuesday, but I plan on being their most of the week, I'll take a camera and give some updates

Boltz9
08-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Alright thanks man I look forward to the updates as I'm on vacation and can't make it. I will be back for the Intrasquad game though.

ndogg_44
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Anyone have a schedule of the camp!!!Wut time does it start on tuesday

Allin44
08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.wheatkings.com/news_item.aspx?news_id=4931

Joe Hallenback
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I am so pumped about this season

I wish I could get out more to Brandon but thank god for Web TV!

dagley
08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Couple questions, Regier coming to camp? What about Ness?

Joe Hallenback
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Ness for sure no. Unless the Islanders sign him and send him here I don't expect him to be here

Regier. Haven't heard anything and I can't see anyone taking a full year off during one of the most crucial development years and coming back

I am interested in hearing about guys like

Dallas Erdhart
Jordan Fransoo
Jason Swyripa
Klarc Wilson
Jesse Sinatynski
Eric Roy
Dylan Kuczek
Dakota Conroy
Tyreal Seaman
Liam Liston

Allin44
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Ness for sure no. Unless the Islanders sign him and send him here I don't expect him to be here

Regier. Haven't heard anything and I can't see anyone taking a full year off during one of the most crucial development years and coming back

I am interested in hearing about guys like

Dallas Erdhart
Jordan Fransoo
Jason Swyripa
Klarc Wilson
Jesse Sinatynski
Eric Roy
Dylan Kuczek
Dakota Conroy
Tyreal Seaman
Liam Liston

Amen to the WEBTV thing, where are you living?

The BS had a pretty good writeup today about the prospects etc that are in the system, and there is a lot of high end guys competing for just a few spots..

Allin44
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Couple questions, Regier coming to camp? What about Ness?

No to Ness and no to Regier, hasn't changed his mind

Brandonite
08-25-2009, 07:09 PM
No to Ness and no to Regier, hasn't changed his mind

I think even if Brandon Regeir decided to come to Brandon after all, he would be extremely in tough to make the team anyways. There are only going to be about 3 (4 maximum) open spots on forward for rookies and guys like Jordan Depape & Klarc Wilson eat two of those spots for sure. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Wheat Kings dropped him all together, he'll never play for the Wheat Kings IMO.

gowheaties
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
i agree we should drop him. this guys career is over. he obviously didnt want to play the game. if he wanted to concentrate on school last year he could have still played high school hockey at least instead of not playing at all but i guess he doesnt have the determination to play. what a waste of a pick

Allin44
08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
i agree we should drop him. this guys career is over. he obviously didnt want to play the game. if he wanted to concentrate on school last year he could have still played high school hockey at least instead of not playing at all but i guess he doesnt have the determination to play. what a waste of a pick

It wasn't a waste of a pick at the time, you can't know with kids.. look at the kid with Columbus last year that quit hockey and worked at a pizza joint because its a lot of hard work, mentally exhausting and he needed a break to recharge.

I do have a feeling Regier will look back on this in 20 years and really regret it and wonder "what if"

Allin44
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
My take on tonights Gold V Black game..

Depape - great offense, but looks like he has another gear or two he wasn't using. Didn't look overly interested in the d-zone.

Wheaton King - Looks promising enough, played with Depape and Sinatynksi, looks a little less fearless than his brother, also looked like he has another gear.

Sinatynski - Pretty good, kept up with Depape, pretty good hands

Kjell Reid - Who the F is this guy? Hits like a truck, has pretty decent speed and hands, could be a 4th line energy guy if theres space.

Swyripa - man he seems small

Ehrhardt - didn't really notice him, which for me is good for a dman

Brett Rock - not too bad, got caught out of place a few times, but that'll happen.

Fransoo - didn't really notice him, he made a couple dangerous passes up the middle tho

Liston - Great.. tracks the puck so well, flexible, doesnt get out of position often but can get back into if he does

Rouse/Walker - didn't notice them so much, I was trying to watch Depape a lot..

Dragojevic is going to HURT somebody when hes old enough to play.. hes a freaking monster and when he grows into that frame..

Ryan Pulak(15 year old) impressed me a lot of the back end. Not a big kid but is really really swift with the puck, throws the hipchecks a lot tho he got caught once when he missed it.

Alexander Kampen - basically a forward playing d. Lots of great rushes, good heads up play, great hands for a dman.

Kyle Krzyzniak - pretty steady dman as well..

The lack of opinions on most of the guys playing yellow may have to do with the fact I missed the first half of the first half, and it took me forever to remember who was who.

Other tidbits
------------
the keystone is a disaster! wow. The concourse is completely ripped apart, the entire side of the arena the WKs bench is on is ripped apart.

The jumbo tron.. its big.. real big.. dare I say.. too big?

Anybody hear who's lining up to buy the boxes? I've heard rumblings here and there but nothing Id want to print

sbtatter
08-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Ehrhardt, Sinatinski, Depape, Liston, Walker were catching my eye. Clark looked like a young Robak. Depape can be a bit too selfish sometimes with the puck, Ferland was inconsistent.
Good to see many of last years team there watching.
When do the guys head off to NHL camp?

Brandonite
08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't usually make my way down to watch training camp scrimages but I was very surpised to see Brett Rock back for a 3rd try. A year ago he was the front runner to play for Brandon, now I very highly doubt he will even be here to start the season here this year. I also found it hilarious when the one post read that Wheaton King is a little more fearless than his brother Sanfred which to me doesnt take much AT ALL! My 5 year old is more fearless than Sanfred King and IMO hes still a rookie trying to make this team. I think guys start leaving for NHL camps right before exhibition gets under way. Guys like Schenn, Glennie, Robak, and possibly Calvert likely wont be back until end of September though.

Brandonite
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
It wasn't a waste of a pick at the time, you can't know with kids.. look at the kid with Columbus last year that quit hockey and worked at a pizza joint because its a lot of hard work, mentally exhausting and he needed a break to recharge.

I do have a feeling Regier will look back on this in 20 years and really regret it and wonder "what if"

I agree its very tough to tell what a kid can do or if he is even going to commit at that age. These kids nowadays are under so much pressure to succeed from their own parents, its rediculous. His mother/father likely wanted this more than he ever did to start with. Alot of guys have loads of talent, they just dont have the passion to play the game which to me I prefer you walk away and let someon with a heart play the game the way it should be played. Thats also why I really like the way the OHL does their bantam picks. They are drafted when they are 16 rather than the WHL at the age of 15. I think that extra year really can tell alot about the kid and it would definitely change where so many kids ended up.

Joe Hallenback
08-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Nice to hear some reports from Camp

I guess Swyripa hasn't grown at all then. He was really small in Midget last year but you could get away with that and still be effective.

Joe Hallenback
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Kjeil Reid played Junior B hockey in Alberta
Sinatyski played as an affiliate there this year so I would imagine a scout saw him in the playoffs and recommended a tryout. Big Tough kid it seems

Dragovic is an interesting kid. Massive already at 15 played AA hockey and was selected in the MJHL bantam draft. Probably needs a full year of Midget hockey and needs to work on that skating

Depape - That is a very good description of Depape he seems to be playing at a low gear and steps up every so often. He has all kinds of skill but his intensity is lacking. He could be an elite player if he ever picks that up

Wheaton King - Someone I watched play midget last year and was quietly impressed with him. Big kid who could control the game at that level. Less talented then his brother at that age but plays the game alot harder.

Surprised to Brett Rock back. He seems to be one of those guys destined for Junior A

Allin44
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't usually make my way down to watch training camp scrimages but I was very surpised to see Brett Rock back for a 3rd try. A year ago he was the front runner to play for Brandon, now I very highly doubt he will even be here to start the season here this year. I also found it hilarious when the one post read that Wheaton King is a little more fearless than his brother Sanfred which to me doesnt take much AT ALL! My 5 year old is more fearless than Sanfred King and IMO hes still a rookie trying to make this team. I think guys start leaving for NHL camps right before exhibition gets under way. Guys like Schenn, Glennie, Robak, and possibly Calvert likely wont be back until end of September though.

Sorry, meant little more fearless

Allin44
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
did anybody else notice there are a TON of microphones hanging from the rafters?

Allin44
08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Left about 5 mins into the 3rd but..

Liston - Great
Flette- Not superb, didn't have much help
Ehrhardt - looked good
King - Sinantynski - Depape - much better, still look like they have more. saving it for main camp perhaps?
Walker/Rouse/Wilson all looked good.

I really like Kryzyzniak or however the H its spelled. Would be a good #4 or 5 dman.

Saw Urbom in attendance tonight.. F is he big.. Jay Fehr was walking around with no limp or anything so that laceration must be OK

mckayd2001
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
How was Kyle Krzyzaniak and Dylan Kelly fight?

Allin44
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
How was Kyle Krzyzaniak and Dylan Kelly fight?

Pretty good, both landed a lot of blows, was a pretty in tight fight, both had hands cleanly free, Kelly landed the last blow that sent it to the ice, but good work by both

sbtatter
08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Great pace to this first game. Offensive dynamo was jesse Hall with 2 goals for black, crazy!!
The big Swede looked really good for gold, at both ends of the ice. think Robak but maybe better (based on 1 scrimmage!!)
Miller had the hit of the game on ciarelli.
Glennie and Depape scored for gold, Schenn for black
Hayes looked good. Melnychuk and Schneider were decent.
It's great to see the guys skating again!!

Allin44
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I wish I had went to the game this morning but I don't get a long real well with mornings and it was noon by the time I woke up. Anybody going to the scrimmage at 6:30?

Joe Hallenback
08-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Does Miller look ready to step up and play more minutes?

sbtatter
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Does Miller look ready to step up and play more minutes?He looks bigger and more assured on the puck. And he's a physical force, which our team is a little short on, so I'd like to see him as the #5 or #6 d-man....

Joe Hallenback
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Well as it stands right now

Urbom Robak
Melnychuk Schneider
Bestland

I think those 5 are penciled in what is left is two spots

Robidoux
Miller
Kzyzanika
Erhardt
Fransoo

2 of these guys will take the last 2 spots. I like Miller because of how aggressive he is and he does have the skill as well. Hopefully he can put it together

Brandonite
08-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Urbom Robak
Melnychuk Schneider
Bestland

Robidoux
Miller
Kzyzanika
Erhardt
Fransoo

2 of these guys will take the last 2 spots. I like Miller because of how aggressive he is and he does have the skill as well. Hopefully he can put it together

Robidoux will be let go. They are pretty high pn Kzyzanika and Erhardt

Allin44
08-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Urbom Robak
Melnychuk Schneider
Bestland

Robidoux
Miller
Kzyzanika
Erhardt
Fransoo

I wouldn't have Schneider penciled in, or if he is, we need to keep an extra dman on the roster as he is glass.

I'd like to see

Robak - Bestland - Robak is smooth on offense, Bestland hits like a truck
Urbom - Melnychuk - two big boys
Miller/Kryzazniak - Ehrhardt/Schneider

Can interchange the bottom four on any given night.

Also can't discount the chance that they move Ehrhardt in a deal for a top 4 dman with experience

sbtatter
08-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Urbom Robak
Melnychuk Schneider
Bestland

Robidoux
Miller
Kzyzanika
Erhardt
Fransoo

Out of the last 5 I'd take Miller and Erhardt. If schneider can stay healthy he's a huge plus to the d-corps.....

Allin44
08-29-2009, 01:28 AM
only watched the first, but lewy looked good. Sat down, and MacPherson(I think) and Kelly Mac sat down behind me. Interesting to hear them talk

Brandonite
08-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Im not a fan of Schneider at all. Like a last post said, he's like glass. He's constantly hurt and you can never rely on him to stay healthy for more than 2 weeks at a time. I think Robidoux is going to get caught up in a numbers situation and will be an odd man out as well. They just have too many young D waiting and ready to play in this league. They must have cut Brandon boy Josh Elmes yesterday as well because I didnt see him at the scrimmage last night. Here would be my personal 7 defencemen...

Robak
Urbom
Melnychuk
Bestland
Miller
Kryzazniak
Ehrhardt

And to be honest with you I dont think you'll see those same 7 as we get deap into the season. Its a good solid defence corpse but I think it could still be tweaked a bit to strenghthen it that much more. Robak, Urbom, & Bestland are pure solid guys for vets. After that Melnychuk is shaky at the best of times (hoping hes over that now!!), I personally really like Miller and his intensity. He will be one of Brandons toughest guys and he'll go up and against anyone in a scrap. Faught 20 year old Victor Bartley last year as a 16 year old and did terrific. And Bestland is such a good hitter and reminds me alot of Regan Leslie but WAY BETTER and doesnt constantly get caught out of position trying to rush the puck. Bestland was an amazing pick up from Selkirk

sbtatter
08-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Team whites line of Calvert, Swyrpia and Lewadniuk was just way too fast and intense for gold. Urbom left after the first which hurt gold. Robak looked good for white. So did Ferland, he worried me last year with his incinsistency, but if he'd get over that, he's a real threat to make this team. Walker has disappointed me this camp so far. Depape scored a nice goal, but didn't see much else from him.
No big hits.

sbtatter
08-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Robak
Urbom
Melnychuk
Bestland
Miller
Kryzazniak
Ehrhardt

And to be honest with you I dont think you'll see those same 7 as we get deap into the season. Its a good solid defence corpse but I think it could still be tweaked a bit to strenghthen it that much more. Robak, Urbom, & Bestland are pure solid guys for vets. After that Melnychuk is shaky at the best of times (hoping hes over that now!!), I personally really like Miller and his intensity. He will be one of Brandons toughest guys and he'll go up and against anyone in a scrap. Faught 20 year old Victor Bartley last year as a 16 year old and did terrific. And Bestland is such a good hitter and reminds me alot of Regan Leslie but WAY BETTER and doesnt constantly get caught out of position trying to rush the puck. Bestland was an amazing pick up from Selkirk
I'm not sold on Bestland, he's pretty unpredictable out there, gets out of position lots. I think he's a #5 or #6 d-man at best on a Mem cup team. Schneider, if he's stays healthy, great, if the injuries flare up, they'll have to replace him. I'd keep Miller and Robideau, add Erhardt to the squad.

sbtatter
08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
white really did have the best 2 lines in this mini tourney, today Calvert, Swyripa and Lewadniuk (1g) and Ferland (1g), sinatynski (1g) and Wilson (2g) just out worked black. Also scoring for white were S King and Robak. Black replied through 2 each from Schenn and W King.
2 spirited fights, kelly took on Hale (a tie), and Ehrhardt and W King, an edge to Ehrhardt but very good scraps.
Ferland was very good again.
So of the young forwards trying to make the roster you have to think that the ones struggling are
Walker, Rouse, Hall.
Doing very well are
Ferland, Wilson, Sinatynski, Depape.
Hard to say are
Wheaton, Ciarelli, Kelly and Reid

Is Hale the guy we want as our enforcer? He just doesn't appear to have the zest for the game.

D-men fighting for a spot
Doing well
Ehrhardt, Miller, robidoux
In trouble
Krzyzaniak, Rock

Should be a spirited affair tonight with all these guys trying for so few openings.

Shout out to Calvert, all effort. I think he has a real shot at being captain

Allin44
08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
cant argue with your rankings at all SB.. lots of guys, including guys that played regularly last year have a lot of work to do..

How did Stone look today?

sbtatter
08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow, first of all, I hope Calvert didn't break a bone on that shot that hit him, but it didn't look good.
Miller pulled up on that chance to hit Calvert in the open ice the shift before, Bestland knocked Schenn down after that, Schenn went after him in the corner but Bestland got the best of that collision, Bestland better keep his head up tomorrow!!
As far as the game went, Schenn basically put on a show.
White won 5 v1, scorers were Schenn, Ferland, Reid, Roy and I think Sinatynski. Blacks goal came from Melnychuk.
Not playing were Urbom and Erhardt, I presume Erhardt's hand is injured from the fight, he had ice on it after the game.
Forwards in trouble now to make the team appear to be Walker, Rouse, Sinatynski, Depape, both Kings and Swypripa.
Playing well are Ferland and Wilson, Ciarelli appeared to have a better game also.
From tonights game I have rated the returning d as follows
Robak, Schneider, Melnychuk, Robidoux, Bestland, Miller.
Krzyzaniak and Rock on the bubble.
Goalies, well Liston let in 1, Hayes 0. I think Rimmer let in 3 and Flette 2, or maybe I have that reversed.
Anyway, I don't expect to see Calvert play tomorrow, hope that injury isn't as bad as it looked.