PDA

View Full Version : training camp...................

shushu
08-26-2009, 08:31 PM
went to both tues & wed practices and some of these boys are looking much improoved from last year. fyten, sutter,ashton,yadlowski and ross all seemed to move up a notch in speed and size..fyten and ashton looked very good out there, very well rounded. sutter also looks much better....was surprized to see boychuk and wright working out with the team, zack was wearing his carolina lid so you know it only temporary...got a chance to talk with cody castro's dad and it was interesting to get an americans opinion on the dub opposed to the ncaa route...a very decent man... the new fin goalie is MUCH bigger than juha and positions himself very well, no more flopping around in net for us :)....main camp starts tommorow....thank god hockeys back..................................:thumb:

Derek Sutton
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the report shush.

scrawny69
08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey seen some kids putting their hockey bags/sticks into vehicles and leaving Adams this afternoon??? Have they cut/ reassigned some allready? If so anyone have any idea who?clrkthj

LHF
08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
There was a problem with the ice at Adams. They had to move to Henderson.

BugsBunny
08-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Apparently the thermostat on the icemaking machine was broken and reading a lower temperature than the actual. It has been repaired and the training camp will return there for tomorrow's games.

Some of the vets look sharp, Ashton and Ross got into a bit of a tiff, and Beach had Ville looking over his shoulder at his shots!

Seems to be a very business like atmosphere but the kids are obviously enjoying the changes.

There are some very good looking 15 year old "D" men and that certainly looks good in the long term.

Might be some tough competition for 3-4 spots on the team.

But the good thing is, the nonsense is over and we can all concentrate on the game.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

Lethbridge the City of Complainers

Hockeydad
08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
No Baecker ?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
08-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Robson was just on the sports and said Tot, Moser and Tarnasky are the top 3 new prospects at forward. Camp cut down to 17 forwards, 10 or 12 D-men (can't remember exactly what he said ......duh) and 4 goalies. The Fin (Peltonen), Tajdeh,Anderson and Wakaluk are the goalies.

BugsBunny
08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Training camp was good, it certainly showed the depth of the 15 year olds at the defense and forward positions.

The goaltending situation concerns me, as Tajdeh had a meltdown in the two games he played in Saturday and his confidence level seems very fragile. Anderson has a slight hamstring strain and will be sidelined for a short while. I can see the Hurricanes out looking for an overage goaltender. Rowat in Regina and Jung in Edmonton could be the likely candidates.

We all know that the Hurricanes are very thin on the blueline. They are young and are limited in their experience. Despite the fact that Ryckman, Mestery, Ross, Yadlowski and Castro do appear to be faster and set to go this season, they still need a veteran defenseman to be added to the roster. An overage "d" man certainly should be sought after.

Highlite of the camp: Russell Maxwell's goal in the Blue-White game.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

Lethbridge City of Complainers

grainbear
08-31-2009, 05:42 PM
It drives me crazy that we can not get a list of who was released after camp. We certainly know about the 94 but who else did the keep.What is the big secret where is the media guy from Hurricanes and I am not talking about Pat ?

BugsBunny
08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
It drives me crazy that we can not get a list of who was released after camp. We certainly know about the 94 but who else did the keep.What is the big secret where is the media guy from Hurricanes and I am not talking about Pat ?

I have heard that they will be releasing a list after Wednesday's practice. That will likely include the players staying with the club. There were about 29 players on the ice today including Boychuk who had permission to stake with the club. There were only two goaltenders Ville and Tajdeh as Anderson is injured and Wakaluk was at school.

They are also busy trying to sign a few of the players so that may also hold up a list.

Hope this helps a bit.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

Derek Sutton
08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope these kids are returned to Midget or the AJHL and given some time to develop rather then riding the bench as a 4th liner or 6th D- man. I can give you a list a mile long (and many of you know the names) of kids who shouldn't have been playing here at 16 or were stand outs at camp and after 1 or 2 seasons were never heard from again, some were dealt, some were released and some didn't return. I'd rather a 4th line of 19 yr olds riding the bench then Tot, Moser etc... if they are projected as top six forwards then they need to play that role, if not here yet, then somewhere else till they're ready.

shushu
08-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I hope these kids are returned to Midget or the AJHL and given some time to develop rather then riding the bench as a 4th liner or 6th D- man. I can give you a list a mile long (and many of you know the names) of kids who shouldn't have been playing here at 16 or were stand outs at camp and after 1 or 2 seasons were never heard from again, some were dealt, some were released and some didn't return. I'd rather a 4th line of 19 yr olds riding the bench then Tot, Moser etc... if they are projected as top six forwards then they need to play that role, if not here yet, then somewhere else till they're ready.

has a good grip on who is ready and who is not, so i think we can all sit back and let rich run the show the way he feels best...bugs said it , time to put the bs behind us and concentrate on hockey...the man knows the game very well.........

localguy
09-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Agreed, and I don't think you will see the same kind of 3 line system we have had the last couple years, I think we will see those who are playing well be rewarded with ice regardless of what line they're on. (At least I hope so).

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
The goaltending situation concerns me, as Tajdeh had a meltdown in the two games he played in Saturday and his confidence level seems very fragile. Anderson has a slight hamstring strain and will be sidelined for a short while. I can see the Hurricanes out looking for an overage goaltender. Rowat in Regina and Jung in Edmonton could be the likely candidates.]

What do you mean by meltdown? Did he have a psycho hissy fit or was his play just that bad? Has anyone got any further info on how Ville played?

BugsBunny
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Meltdown in the sense that he was obviously very down on himself after being lit up like a cheap Walmart Christmas Tree in his first game and not much better in his second game. His body language showed his lack of confidence coming through again. As for Ville, he was fine, not sensational but I think he is not used to the tempo, and the North American game. I still believe that the club will be out looking for an overage goaltender along the likes of Rowat or Jung.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Meltdown in the sense that he was obviously very down on himself after being lit up like a cheap Walmart Christmas Tree in his first game and not much better in his second game. His body language showed his lack of confidence coming through again. As for Ville, he was fine, not sensational but I think he is not used to the tempo, and the North American game. I still believe that the club will be out looking for an overage goaltender along the likes of Rowat or Jung.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

I am not sure Jung won't be staying with the Oil Kings. I think they will have a very competative team this year. A good goalie could get them into say top 6 in the East.

canes77
09-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Ya, Jung will be the #1 in Edmonton this yr, and they have high hopes this year....we should be also looking at Todd Mathews as well in Kootenay, they have Nathan Lieuwen who can be their #1 if he's injury-free, whereas Edmonton doesnt have any veteran goalie to step in yet. The price will be much cheaper for Mathews!

Mathews had a winning record and a save % over .900 on a fairly young team. Give Ville or Anderson one year as a backup and then let one of em be the #1 after that for a couple years. Although it's very easy for me to forecast like this...

BugsBunny
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Well whoever the overage goaltender is, there seems to be agreement by the most of the contributors that the Canes need an overage goaltender who can carry most of the load and tutor Ville or Anderson. Tajdeh's days as a Cane should come to an end.

clrkthj Go Canes Go

tigsfan0809
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I saw Tajdeh play when the Tigers had their weekend set with the Canes last February, and he looked very much like a raw rookie. Nervous, shaky, wide-open 5 hole..........Felt bad for the kid, looked like he was rushed into the WHL. I'm sure the Canes will be stronger in net this season..........Hell, we'll send you Holfeld if ya want....:P lol!!

Derek Sutton
09-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I was thinking of throwing his name out there, I thought that i'd heard he might become available, or is available. He'd be a decent fit, better then what there is now and the price should be minimal.