PDA

View Full Version : Black and White game

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
A pretty good game, as black and white games go. They did a good job of balancing out the teams this year.

Was impressed with the duo of Ferraro and Coetzee, they should make up 2/3s of a regular line this season. Mayor had a good game, as did Persson, Green, Neduzak, Esposito and Jordie Deagle. Jesse Mireau had a surprisingly good game, scoring 3 goals, including crushing a 40 foot knuckler past Kuemper.

On the back end I thought Archer, Woodyatt, Odendaal, and Weller had good games.

"Defenseman of the year" Cullen Morin suuuuuuucked in this game, and capped off a below average performance in training camp with a -4 effort in the B&W game (and some more weak/awkward slapshots into the legs of the defensive forwards), which could have easily been -6 were it not for some really strong defensive recoveries by Nathan Green on his behalf. On the third goal of the night that was his fault, it was almost offensive to watch him hook the guy that blew past him for 3 feet, then put his stick on his knees and coast (hey, I have made this team already, right?), while his defensive partner and forwards tried to catch the guy going in on a breakaway. Worst part of this is, he appears poised to displace one of Espo or Deagle, who worked their asses off through all of training camp, and didn't suck at playing their position.

3rebels
08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I have never really got to like Cullen Moron (not a typo) and was kind of upset to hear he has a "lock" on one of the 20 year positions !! Get some new, hard-working blood in the line-up and drop the has-been NOW !!
vc124

SectionNDeserter
08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I do understand the team's loyalty to him somewhat--he brought a puck-moving game to a team two seasons ago that had zero puck moving defensemen, and spent a whole season in their own end of the ice. I was willing to overlook his near complete lack of defensive play to see the puck leave our end of the ice the last few seasons, but I think we are at a point where we are good in that area and I no longer need to watch his defensive assignments destroy him on the boards, or blow past him like he isn't there.

3rebels
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Totally agree !! He was, in my mind, a rent-a-player that didn't improve ! Just seemed to stay like he was at 17 !!

hockeyfan123
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I am just wondering how Brett Miller has looked in camp. He has size and is not a bad skater. Whats his chances of making the team?

SectionNDeserter
08-28-2009, 06:35 AM
I am just wondering how Brett Miller has looked in camp. He has size and is not a bad skater. Whats his chances of making the team?Maybe not well enough to be considered a lock, but I think we could see him on the roster, at least to start the season.

chainsaw
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I am just wondering how Brett Miller has looked in camp. He has size and is not a bad skater. Whats his chances of making the team?

Actually, I don't think Miller can skate in the Western League. He looks like his knee joints are welded solid.

I was thinking, The Rebels could afford to cut Morin. They have decent balance, talent & size on D. They don't NEED him, really. They could drop Morin and keep the other 20's. Or...as 'N' suggested...drop Morin and another of the current 20's and seek skills elsewhere.

But...I think they could keep these 20 year old fwd's and drop Miller and be nearly set.

Red celtic
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Actually, I don't think Miller can skate in the Western League. He looks like his knee joints are welded solid.

I was thinking, The Rebels could afford to cut Morin. They have decent balance, talent & size on D. They don't NEED him, really. They could drop Morin and keep the other 20's. Or...as 'N' suggested...drop Morin and another of the current 20's and seek skills elsewhere.

But...I think they could keep these 20 year old fwd's and drop Miller and be nearly set.
Having 20 yr. olds playing on the 3rd and 4th lines is a poor way to develop a team. We will be losing one of our 20 yr. old forwards at which point keeping Millers big body has merit. All things considered Miller has to play with a physical presence to make this team and Mireau will be his biggest competition for that position.

chainsaw
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Having 20 yr. olds playing on the 3rd and 4th lines is a poor way to develop a team. We will be losing one of our 20 yr. old forwards at which point keeping Millers big body has merit. All things considered Miller has to play with a physical presence to make this team and Mireau will be his biggest competition for that position.

Ah. I guess that explains why Morin is a 'lock'. It does make sense to give the 3rd and 4rth forward line spots to players who have 2-3+ years to offer the team.

Still....

Seems like something isn't quite adding up with the forwards...wingers and centre's competing for the same spot(s)???

Red celtic
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
This is a developmental league so most teams tend to try to insure a balanced approach in regards to having so many 20s, 19 yr olds etc. The problem here is nobody feels Morin should be in the first pairing and that as a 20 he should be a better player. To bad the coaching staff disagrees. The thing with Espo (one of our 20 yr. old players) is that he is a great training camp player and then disappears when the regular season starts. So with that in mind I would be looking at a younger player anyway.

chainsaw
08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
This is a developmental league so most teams tend to try to insure a balanced approach in regards to having so many 20s, 19 yr olds etc. The problem here is nobody feels Morin should be in the first pairing and that as a 20 he should be a better player. To bad the coaching staff disagrees. The thing with Espo (one of our 20 yr. old players) is that he is a great training camp player and then disappears when the regular season starts. So with that in mind I would be looking at a younger player anyway.

I think they'll need a good chunk of pre-season games to make a good selection.

Even if Mireau is deemed good enough to make this team, I still think the camp was paper thin in 91's (behind Ferraro, of course).

SectionNDeserter
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
The Rebels are looking for a new Wooly Bully. Maybe Cullen Morin can be Woolly Bully? Two birds, one stone....

SectionNDeserter
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Even if Mireau is deemed good enough to make this team, I still think the camp was paper thin in 91's (behind Ferraro, of course).I thought Cowen and Weller did quite well for themselves in camp as well, though that is still only 3 WHL calibre players on our roster from the '91 group. I have a feeling that will change before the trade deadline.

chainsaw
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Meh..I say: Toss the entire season beneath the axle(s) of the Team Bus and get back to me 2 years from now.clrkthj

tiny
08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Meh..I say: Toss the entire season beneath the axle(s) of the Team Bus and get back to me 2 years from now.clrkthj

Hard to believe you are jumping off before the season begins. Why so negative? Two years ago was the worst for me; last year was a start and I see this year as a year that should be very entertaining.

chainsaw
08-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Hard to believe you are jumping off before the season begins. Why so negative? Two years ago was the worst for me; last year was a start and I see this year as a year that should be very entertaining.

It was supposed to be sarcastic. The team should be okay this year...but whatever they do...I don't think its possible to screw up how good they are goin to be in 2 years.