PDA

View Full Version : Oil Kings 4 Broncos 1

Scout
08-30-2009, 04:40 AM
Keen's Korner

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oil Kings 4 Broncos 1

The Oil Kings go on the power play less than a minute in. Brett Breitkreuz has the best chance to score, as he drives the net, but is denied by Bronco keeper Morgan Clark. Just as the penalty ends, Logan Proulx gets sprung on a break, and roofs the backhand to make it one zip. The teams match up pretty well from there, and the first period ends with Edmonton up 1 – 0.
The Oil Kings got it going early in the second. First, Brett Breitkreuz did a good job on the fore check and scored unassisted. Just over a minute later, 15 year old Mitchell Moroz scored to make it 3 – 0. Moroz just signed on with the Oil Kings after being selected in the second round of the 2009 draft.

"I was nervous starting out at Main Camp," says Moroz. "This is a great place to be. The guys have really helped me out. First WHL game, first goal. I wish I could stay with the team"
There was a scary moment mid way through the second. Oil King forward Robin Soudek is on the wrong end of a high stick. Then, while laboring to the bench, he is hit in the face with a puck. Soudek did return after missing a couple shifts. While he is away, Dylan Wruck sticks in a rebound off of a Breitkreuz shot, its 4 – 0 after two.

The Broncos get on the board early in the third on a power play. After a goal mouth scramble, Adam Lowry bangs in a loose puck in the crease. The Oil Kings cruise from there to a 4 – 1. Edmonton has outscored their opponents 7 – 1 in their 2 Tournament games.

"I thought we worked hard and forechecked well," says Head Coach Steve Pleau."That's the way we want to play. The guys were moving there feet and the defense was getting the puck up ice quick."

The Oil Kings Pre-season Invitational Tournament wraps up tomorrow with the Regina Pats and Swift Current Broncos playing at 3:00 pm. Edmonton hosts Medicine Hat at 7:00 pm.

Game 5 – Edmonton Oil Kings 4, Swift Current Broncos 1

First Period

1.EDM – Proulx (Hlookoff, Rachinski) ES, 2:46
Shots on Goal: EDM 10 / SC 11

Second Period
2.EDM - Breitkreuz, ES, 2:23
3.EDM - Moroz (McCallum, Hlookoff) ES, 3:39
4.EDM – Wruck (Breitkreuz, Burns) ES, 10:49
Two Period Shot Total: EDM 23 / SC 23

Third Period
5.SC – Lowry (Blanke, Scarlett) PP, 2:05

Final Shot Total: EDM 38/ SC 27
EDM – Brossoit 26 / 27
SC – Clark 15/ 19, Smith 19/ 19
Posted by Jon Keen at 11:41 PM

www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout

Scout
08-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Waldner's World

Saturday, August 29, 2009
Broncos 1 @ Oil Kings 4

-the Broncos threw the puck around really well in the first period...in fact at times Edmonton's starting G. Laurent Brossoit stood on his head. The Oil Kings managed a 1-0 lead after one period on a goal by Logan Proulx. The goal happened just as Bronco D. Derek Claffey was leaving the penalty box.

-from there, Swift Current let the game get away in the second period. They couldn't seem to gain any control while Edmonton piled on three goals in a short time.

-G. Morgan Clark, who got the start for the Broncos, allowed four goals on 23 shots before giving way in favour of G. Austin Smith. Smith came in at 10:49 of period two, stopped 15 shots, and shut the Oil Kings out for the remainder of the game. Three of the goals came in the second period....Clark was screened on two tallies.

-the Broncos' powerplay was a dismal 1 for 9. That included two 5 on 3 man advantages. They finally got on the board when 17-year old F. Matt Lowry tucked in a lose puck while driving hard to the net at 2:05 of period three. F. Andy Blanke and D. Reece Scarlett got well-earned assists on the lone goal for the Broncos.

-Taylor Ernst had an exceptional game.....he was relentless on both sides of the puck.

-Geordie Wudrick and Drew Nichol duked it out late in the game and each got five minutes for fighting. And as is customary in WHL exhibition action, they both got game misconducts for being involved in a fight.

-Brett Breitkreuz and Tyler Hlookoff each tallied a goal and an assist for the Oil Kings.

Here is a quick summary of the game tonight:

First Period:
Scoring
1. EDM. Proulx (Hlookoff, Rachinski) 2:47
Penalties
SC Claffey (slashing) 0:37
EDM Nichol (roughing) 6:12
EDM Proulx (checking from behind) 11:42
Shots: SC 12 EDM 11
Second Period:
Scoring
2. EDM Breitkreuz (unassisted) 2:23
3. EDM Moroz (McCallum, Hlookoff) 3:39
4. EDM Wruck (Breitkreuz, Burns) 10:49
Penalties:
SC Wudrick (roughing) 4:49
EDM Nichol (roughing after whistle) 4:49
EDM Breitkreuz (roughing after whistle) 4:49
EDM Burns (tripping) 5:53
SC Peddle (hooking) 8:02
SC Rogers (crosschecking) 8:32
EDM Breitkreuz (roughing) 12:35
EDM Burns (hooking) 12:35
SC Rogers (hooking) 15:01
SC Wudrick (hooking) 17:13
Shots: SC 11 EDM 12
Third Period:
Scoring
5. SC Lowry (Blanke, Scarlett) 2:05 PP
Penalties
EDM Moroz (tripping) 1:52
EDM Hlookoff (tripping) 5:59
SC Rogers (delay of game) 8:43
SC Wudrick (instigating) (fighting...5 min) (game misconduct) 12:30
EDM Nichol (interference) (fighting...5 min) (game misconduct) 12:30
EDM Pysyk (hooking) 18:56
Shots: SC 4 EDM 15
Total Shots: SC 27 EDM 38
Powerplay: SC 1/9 EDM 0/5

Tonight's scratches were as follows:

-Eric Doyle
-Andrew Hewett
-Jordan Evans
-Preston Admundsen
-Michael Stickland
-Matt Tassone
-Taylor Vause
-Ryan Molle
-Andrew Hunt
-Chad Ketting
-Alexandre Sirard
-Josh Derko

Due to limited internet availability here at the rink in St. Albert, pictures and game details will have to wait to be posted until I get back to Red Deer for the night.
For me, it was a busy game. I had to stay focused, because the Broncos office staff requested I compile a game summary and forward it to them back to Swift Current.
Now for the quick trek back to Red Deer....
More later.

www.erniewaldner.com

Scout