PDA

View Full Version : Give Theo a break.

Chaucer
04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Everyone who thinks they know about hockey and has an internet modem or a newspaper column has a new target.

Theo Fleury.

Fleury and the Horse Lake Thunder were upset at the Allan cup and had the crowd turn on them as they lost to Thunder Bay who went on to win the whole thing. Fleury was quoted in the media saying things like Horse Lake was prejudiced against, and he (Fleury) was the only reason the Allan Cup was an attraction. He also said blue collar people who "carry a lunchpale to work" like to see successful people fail.

Now people are saying Theo has no class, Theo is a bum, Fleury got what he deserved for being a part of Horse Lake's attempt to buy a championship team.

How dare he wind down his playing days playing hockey with his cousin!! How dare a 38 year old player who the NHL won't wait for finish his career playing in a competitive league in front of Canadian fans! How dare he not visit every golf course in North America, wreck sports cars and see how many 19 year old groupies he can rack up.

Theo Fleury is a headcase. We can speculate why. Since he was a Moose Jaw Warrior he has been a loose cannon. Since he was a Moose Jaw Warrior he has been a proven draw for whatever hockey team he has played for. Theo Fleury is the only reason anyone gives a **** about the Allan Cup. We all know Thunder Bay won this year, off the top of your head can you tell me who won last year? The year before? Fleury filled that rink in Lloydminster. Did he ask for a cut of the gate?

Remember the joy we all felt in 2002 when Canada won a gold medal beating the US? Have you forgot who was on that team?

Fleury has made mistakes. He has also paid his dues, he has spent a hockey career in many grueling games and practices. It's not the Canadian way to turn on our heros after they have a bad weekend.

kelownakarl
04-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I remember watching Theo when he was still a young buck in Junior and he was one heck of a goal scorer. Give the wee lad a break, he's gone through a lot, i bet everyone who reads this thread hasn't lived the perfect life, people make mistakes its human nature. Theo is a kind hearted fellow who has made some bad moves in his life, but he's working hard to put the pieces back to the Fluery Puzzle. The way he didn't want a cut from the funds of the team is just a glimpse of what this lad is truely like. What a great guy, Cheers Theo, this ones for you!

charlie
04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
i think theo fleury has prolly been given a lot of breaks and sympathy along the way. has he maximized his talents playing hockey...i think yes. has the media and the general public been supportive of his various trials and difficulties...yes again. where did it go wrong for the "wee lad" in lloyd...might have been when he started spouting off about how big a draw he was (tournament was sold out before horse lake qualified), about how he made 50 million playing hockey, about how everyone was against him...he came across like the whiny little schmuck he is and people responded...no big deal.

charlie

RDRebelsfan
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I work for the Bentley Generals organization and saw the two games at the centrium becase I announced them.

I saw first hand what the guy is like. He deserves what he gets.

Orv
04-25-2005, 06:13 PM
I still love Theo. Still my fav but honestly he said some things that shouldn't have been said and also things that were completley false.

That "it was sold out before Horse Lake qualified" statement is not crap.

"Every single ticket for this event was sold out. Why? Because of the Horse Lake Thunder,'' said Fleury.

"Not because of the Thunder Bay Bombers or the Lloydminster whatever they call themselves. It was because Horse Lake was here.''

Actually, the thing was sold-out before Horse Lake qualified, but you never stop a guy when he's rolling.

"The only reason this tournament sold out was because of yours truly right here,'' continued Fleury.

"We all know it and I'm going to say it: Once again Theo Fleury puts hockey on the map when it needs it the most.''

You have to be joking me. Nothing like tooting your own horn. The Flames didn't need him to put hockey on the map, nor did Colorado, not New York, not Chicago, and not Lloydminster. He's never saved the day. Especially this year (with the lockout) SR. Hockey in this country was and is doing strong.

"Look at the source. A guy that carries a lunch pail to work every day, a frustrated human being. He doesn't want to face his problems head to head, so who's the perfect target? Theo Fleury. He's had success, he's had fame, he's had fortune. Those people have to yell at me to make themselves feel better about themselves. You know what? I'll take the high road.''

Not that high. He did scream at post-game photographers, "You take another (bleeping) picture and I'll kill you.'' But we digress - as, apparently, we've done before.

Slicing the working man while you're playing in a working man's league is kind of ironic. I'm also confused a bit...Theo is here to put hockey back on the map but if someone takes a picture he'll kill them. RIGHT.

Anyways, like I said I Theo is still my favorite player to ever strap on a pair of blades but I just don't agree with some of the stuff he said.

Some people have to remember that he is a grown man who just happens to be 5'6" so it's not like he hasn't been picked on before. The media is a *****, we know that and after a lengthy term in the public eye Theo knows that too.

Link to Sun article (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/04/24/1010877-sun.html)

RunTheGoalie
04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - that I know who has met Theo says he is an a-hole.

Theo has a really big "the world owes me everything" attitude, when it is in fact the other way around. The world has given him a lot, and he is too arrogant, stupid and short-sighted to accept that he has it better than 99.9% of the world.

He says people hated Horse Lake because the working man wants to see successful people fail? No.

People hated Horse Lake becuase they tried to buy an Allen Cup, because of their attitude, and because Theo Fleury hasnt given anyone a single reason to cheer for him in several years.

Theo brought this on himself, and he deserves every criticism he gets.

loudi94
04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Has the media been fair to Fleury? Hell no. Everytime he messed up, everytime he checked into rehab, the media was there breaking the story. Now the media attacks him for saying what his on his mind. The media should love Fleury, he has given them so many stories over the years.
Fleury and Horse Lake where the only reason any one cared about the Allan Cup. Don't give me the "it was sold out before Horse Lake qualified" crap either. Everyone new Horse Lake would be there.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Theo was very protected by the media during his stay in Calgary. Before the whole James/Kennedy story, no one wrote a story about Fleury outside of his hockey exploits.

Joe Hallenback
04-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Having witnessed first hand how people treat any First nation team or First nation run team up close I can understand How Fleury feels. Yes he is an ******* but I feel the issue he did manage to raise is something that needs to be addressed but in all likely hood will not.

RDRebelsfan
04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Holy cow! If anyone has right to pass judgement on Theo Fleury it's the announcer for the Bentley Generals. You must know Fleury inside and out. I have news for you Fleury haters who wish bad things on him because he is a jerk. Do you think Fleury is the only jerk in hockey? I would say half the players in the league are bigger jerks than Fleury. Look how many players have been charged with spousal abuse, but Fleury is the biggest jerk in all of hockey casue he actually said what he felt in an interview. We're all perfect people who can criticize Fleury, a guy who has probably signed thousands of autographs and isn't allowed to be frustrated after a loss.

I didn''t say i have insid einfo...but he said some unneccessary things to the fans behind him. Pro athletes...current or former should shake it off.

I don't like the guy my opinion and he's an *******...that can be a fact or an opinion.

peatfan
04-26-2005, 02:11 AM
After so many screwups it starts to get tough to give poor Theo a break. His first couple of times in rehab I was 100% behind him. Knowing first hand how tough it is to give up an addiction I was fully supporting Theo and wish him all the best. Even when he had his many tantrums I was still behind him. It must have tough to rehab in front of thousands every night plus all the media attention. However after a few years of his complaining how everyone is screwing him around I say suck it up Theo, admit to whatever is really bothering you and carry on. Maybe its time to face your real demons like Sheldon Kennedy and make yourself useful to society. Maybe you were wronged in the past but to lash out against the working class, media, NHL and the guy who cut in line in front of you just doesn't fly anymore. Once you admit your problems and seek real help then I'll be 100% behind you, until then heres another tissue to wipe away your tears.

The_Vulk
04-26-2005, 04:33 AM
I am no fan of Theo, and his "get under your skin" attitude on the ice. He got under mine (even when he was a fourth liner, let alone on the first line) and I am a Flames fans.

I wished the Flames had traded him BEFORE he broke both Joe Nieuwendyk's All-Time Goals and Al MacInnis's All-Time Points. Two all-time classy players. He never should have been named Captain.

The Flames tried to help him, but since he did not want to change his ways, he is and got what he had coming to him. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've never heard of the Alan-Cup before the Theo issue gave them media attention.

charlie
04-26-2005, 08:02 AM
i believe the alan cup is named after alan caldwell one of the great calgary hockey people.

Scout
04-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Ok people it is ok to talk about what Theo was like as a player or his past, but this is about Theo not who knows more than the next guy. I'm sorry i had to delete a couple of posts, but do not attack each other as who knows more or who knows nothing. Let's keep it on the topic.

Scout

Orv
04-26-2005, 11:55 PM
I like the letter. A few things I don't agree with but overall I think it's good. I was at the 'Dome the night Theo broke the record and it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I was even lucky enough to be able to head down to the Flames locker room to congratulate him for his amazing feat. Iggy may have a shot at the record but that won't be for years.

I still love the guy, I just hope he gets the help he needs.

Donald Trump
04-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Theo is a great player and I am glad he played hockey for a small market team then go play in europe. I am not perfect and he isn't.

Tinner
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Theo needs help and the fact that he thinks he's okay just proves it. this guy has small mans syndrome and plays it and the race card to the hilt. He has to realize that his antics have nothing to do with any prejudices by anybody except for those that think its not normal behavior.

normal behavior doesn't allow for all the stupid things theo says and does, but i'm guessing someone is proud of him.

ynot
04-27-2005, 09:51 AM
In my opinion it is disgustingly conceited for one person to take credit for a strong fan base in any league; there were fans before and will be fans after.

I know A LOT of people that have followed senior hockey for years. They go watch games all over the place and have made it a yearly tradition to go to the Allan Cup no matter where it is. Senior hockey has not had a successful year because of Theo Fleury. Yeah, maybe his name did draw some fans (regardless of what people think of him on a personal level, I do believe most people will agree he has skill). How about stopping to consider that fact that with no NHL to watch, people have given their money and attention to other leagues. (Consider the amount of people at Calgary Hitmen games.)

Theo Fleury is his own worst enemy. I don't regard being outspoken and having the nerve to say things other people only think as a bad thing.....it's HOW you say it!

1WHLFan
04-27-2005, 05:48 PM
I was at the Allan Cup in Lloydminster and if you guys seen the way he acted and the way his team acted you would hate them to. I always used to like Theo but not I have no sympathy for him what so ever. :thumb:

Furback
04-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Fluery is a a baby he always has been. He does think the world owes him I remember in 94 when nucks came back to beat the flames after being down 3 to 1 fluery challenged any fan to come fight him. He is a joke and has been givin more chances than any regular joe would ever get so my question to him why is he so bitter you reap what you sew fluery you little sawed off kebler elf.

1WHLFan
04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Just like at the Allan Cup shaking hands with a Thunder Bay player the player told him he was his favorite player growing up and it was his dream to meet him and even just to play on the same ice as him, and what did Theo do puched him right in the face. He also told a photographer if he took one more picture he was going to F***ing kill him.