PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Articles

Tipped Off
08-31-2009, 11:12 AM
From Heraldnet.com

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT — There’s a new sheriff in town, and he’s letting everyone know he’s not tolerating any nonsense.

The Everett Silvertips began their preparations for the 2009-10 season with the opening of training camp Wednesday at Comcast Arena, and new head coach Craig Hartsburg wasted little time demonstrating how things will be conducted under his charge.

Cameron Abney, one of Everett’s highest-profile players as the team’s enforcer and a third-round pick in this year’s NHL draft, was not allowed to participate in Wednesday’s scrimmages after arriving late in the morning.

More (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090827/SPORTS/708279591/1003/SPORTS08#Silvertips.camp.opens.with.new.Everett.co ach.setting.no-nonsense.tone)

Tipped Off
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Link to story at the Everett Herald (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090828/SPORTS/708289818/1003/SPORTS08#Silvertips.Notebook.Tyrell.hopes.for.fres h.start.in.Everett)

Silvertips Notebook: Tyrell hopes for fresh start in Everett

Corey Tyrell, unable to escape his older brother’s shadow in Prince George, gets a clean slate with the Silvertips

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT — All Corey Tyrell wants is a chance to show what he’s capable of.

The former Prince George Cougar is the most prominent name among the Everett Silvertips’ free-agent invitees to training camp this year, and he’s hoping this opportunity gives him the chance to display his full range of talents.

“When I was in Prince George I don’t think anyone else got a real good look at what type of player I am and what I can do, so I feel I really have to prove myself here in camp,” Tyrell said Thursday during Day 2 of Everett’s camp.

The 1990-born forward spent an undistinguished one-and-a-half seasons with the Cougars. In 109 games with Prince George he posted nine goals, five assists and 16 penalty minutes, largely as a fourth-line player. He was best known not for his play, but for being the younger brother of Cougars star Dana Tyrell.

After scoring four goals and one assist in 39 games last season he left Prince George over playing time issues. He returned home to Airdrie, Alberta, with the hopes of finishing out the season with a junior A squad.

“I just wasn’t happy,” Tyrell explained about his decision. “I just wasn’t getting a chance, so I decided to go back and go somewhere where I’d get the chance to play. I thought it would be better for me and my development.

“Unfortunately it was too late to play anywhere, so I was kind of out of luck.”

Tyrell was subsequently dropped from Prince George’s 50-player protected list. But a second chance at the WHL came over the summer, when he received a letter from the Tips inviting him to training camp. He turned down a similar invitation from the Calgary Hitmen, his hometown team and the reigning Scotty Munro Trophy winners for the league’s best regular season record, to try out with Everett.

“I always loved playing in this rink when I came here with Prince George,” Tyrell said. “It would probably be my favorite team to play for in the WHL. So I thought it would be a great opportunity to come down here and give it my best shot.”

So far at camp Tyrell has displayed good speed and great hustle during the scrimmages, and he’s hoping that will grab the attention of the coaches.

“I think it’s going real good,” Tyrell said of his camp. “I’ve been putting in a good effort, working real hard. I just hope I can show them what I’ve got and that they like my style of play.”

Family ties

There’s been a Mueller sighting at camp this year.

No, not former Tips star Peter Mueller. It’s his younger brother Tim, as the 16-year-old forward was invited to attend camp this year.

Tim Mueller watched his brother play many a game at Comcast Arena from 2005-07, and he even got the opportunity to skate on the ice before a game. But this has been his first chance to test it out competitively, and he’s enjoying his chance at following in his brother’s footsteps.

“I love it,” Tim Mueller said. “I know if I ever do play here I have a huge reputation to shine up to, he was one of the greatest players here. But I’m just excited to be here.”

Working his way back

One of the missing names from last year’s rookie camp was Justin Waskewitch. The 17-year-old forward, a fourth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft, was one of the top offensive performers at rookie camp two years ago. However, he’s been plagued with shoulder injuries since, and they kept him out of camp last season.

But after undergoing surgery and spending last season trying to regain his health, Waskewitch is nearing a full recovery and is able to participate in camp this year.

“It’s not quite 100 percent yet, but it’s getting there,” Waskewitch said about the shoulder. “It wasn’t good playing last year, I wasn’t very confident trying to protect the puck. But I worked out all summer getting strong and it’s getting there.”

Missing names

There were three players from the 2008 bantam draft who attended camp last year, but are not at camp this year. Defenseman Michael Berry, Everett’s fourth-rounder, was unable to attend because he’s scheduled for wrist surgery. He should be ready to play for his midget team this season and is still part of Everett’s future plans. Forward Matthew Lumsden (ninth round) and defenseman Keifer Johnston (11th round) were dropped from Everett’s 50-player protected list.

Tipped Off
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
From heraldnet.com

Silvertips’ Hayer on the radar now

Ignored in this year’s WHL bantam draft, the play-making center has performed impressively during Everett’s training camp

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT — Manraj Hayer is proof positive the scouts don’t always see everything.

Even when it’s right in front of them.

Hayer was one of the brightest stars among the Everett Silvertips’ prospects at this year’s training camp, and his is a tale of how the WHL bantam draft doesn’t always get things right, even when it should.

“Not everybody who gets drafted plays, and a lot of guys who don’t get drafted end up playing,” Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. “He’s a very talented young man and we’re very fortunate to have him as a part of our organization.”

The 16-year-old play-making center was a revelation during the three days of training camp. In his first scrimmage he was so dominant against players his own age he was immediately promoted to the top line, where he was thrust in against Everett’s veterans. That didn’t seem to affect Hayer at all as he continued to pile up goals and assists against the best the Tips had to offer, despite his diminutive 5-foot-8 frame.

“I think it’s going great,” Hayer said of his camp. “I’m just going out, putting out hard work every day, and so far so good.”

This was a followup to last year, when as a 15-year-old he was one of the top performers in Everett’s rookie camp. Since the moment he first stepped on the ice in Everett, he excelled.

So it all begs the question: Why was Hayer ever a free agent?

...More (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090829/SPORTS/708299867/1003/SPORTS08#Silvertips%26%23146.Hayer.on.the.radar.no w)

Tipped Off
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Link to story at the Everett Herald (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090831/SPORTS/708319955/1003/SPORTS08#Silvertips.prospect.Hayer.won%26%238217t. be.with.team.this.year)

Silvertips prospect Hayer won’t be with team this year

The 16-year-old center and his family decide he’s better suited to play another year in a junior league

By Nick Patterson
Herald writer

EVERETT — Manraj Hayer is one of the Everett Silvertips’ top prospects, and he was one of the standout players at the Everett’s training camp last week.

However, Hayer will not be playing for the Tips this season.

Everett announced the reassignment of 11 players Sunday, and the most notable name on the list was Hayer’s.

The 16-year-old playmaking center from Vancouver, B.C., was among the leading scorers during camp. He managed to maintain his production even after he was pushed up to compete against Everett’s top veterans, despite his smaller 5-foot-8 frame.

But following Saturday’s Green vs. Grey game, Hayer and his family concluded the WHL was not the right destination for him this season.

“Manny and his parents think he’s just not 100-percent ready to play in the league because of his physical status,” Tips general manager Doug Soetaert said. “They want to make sure he’s capable of coming in and being a top-end player. They think that physically he’s not quite there, and I understand where they’re at.”

The other players who were reassigned Sunday were forwards Justin Waskewitch, Tyler Giebel, Jari Erricson, Jordyn Boyd and Josh Racek, defensemen Mitch Boucher and Keenan Martens, and goaltenders James Barr, Stephon Fontaine and Alec Rounds. The moves leave the Tips with 32 players — 18 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goaltenders.

Hayer looked like a player ready to jump into the WHL fray during training camp. But Hayer’s parents decided his development would be better served by playing at a lower level this season.

“They explained it to me,” Soetaert said. “What they’ve done throughout his career so far is make sure he’s ready to step in and be on the top two lines. I assured them he’s close to being that now, but I understand their thinking.”

Hayer will instead play junior A this season, suiting up for the Surrey Eagles of the British Columbia Hockey League. Soetaert believes Hayer can follow a similar arc as current Tips star Kellan Tochkin. Tochkin had a strong season playing junior B as a 16-year-old rather than for the Tips, then stepped into the WHL and led the league in scoring among rookies last season.

“(Junior A) is not the same caliber as here, but it’s a great developmental league for a smaller player,” Soetaert said. “Kellan Tochkin played junior B two years ago, and this is the same scenario. Kellan was not ready to play in the WHL. I think Manny is a little closer than Kellan was, but his parents decided not to make the move at this time, and I respect their decision.”

Hayer departed Everett without signing a WHL education contract. However, Soetaert is still confident Hayer will be a Silvertip next season.

“Manny and I have had good conversations, his parents and I have had good conversations,” Soetaert said. “He likes the WHL and he wants to play in the WHL.

“But I understand their thinking and I guarantee he’ll be ready to go next year.”

Everett’s remaining players, with their birth years, are:

Forwards: Cameron Abney (91), Zack Dailey (89), Campbell Elynuik (92), Byron Froese (91), Shane Harper (89), Dale Hunt (90), Dan Iwanski (90), Mitchell Loose (93), Tyler Maxwell (91), Markus McCrea (92), D.Jay McGrath (92), Tyler Parker (92), Alex Poulter (89), Kellan Tochkin (91), Corey Tyrell (90), Paul Van de Velde (90), Ryan White (91), Josh Winquist (93).

Defensemen: Chris de la Lande (90), Radko Gudas (90), Drew McDermott (91), Gabe Minville (92), Evan Morden (93), Ryan Murray (93), Rasmus Rissanen (91), Colin Scherger (89), Paul Sohor (91), Alex Theriau (92), Nicholas Walters (94).

Goaltenders: Andy Desautels (94), Thomas Heemskerk (90), Kent Simpson (92).