PDA

View Full Version : Monday Bits

Scout
09-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Waldner's World

Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday Bits...

-the Broncos made a couple moves today, signing 17-year old Dane Muench and 16-year old Graeme Craig to WHL contracts. Both players definitely showed some promise in training camp. Muench is no doubt skilled and was a go-to guy in Battleford last season in the SJHL. Some would say it's taking him a while to get going....but the talent is undeniably there. The start of training camp was apparently the first time Muench had skated in a while due to an illness during the off-season. So when he does get going full tilt, expect a point or two from him. As far as Graeme Craig is concerned, he's a strong defenceman, skates very well for his size, and doesn't seem to shy away from the crash and bang game with the opposition. He should be fun to watch in the coming years.

-the tourney in Edmonton was enjoyable but quite frankly, just an offensive talent show at times. You have to expect that if you attend the games. The intensity is not near at the level it's at in regular season games, many veterans sit out, and some coaches just throw their guys out there to see how they respond to certain situations. You could pretty much predict one fight in every game and a few gimme goals. Such is the case when teams play meaningless games for the sake of evaluating young talent.

-I ran into Matt Tassone in St. Albert. The 20-year old Bronco forward is currently in the process of rehabbing both shoulders after they were both operated on this summer. He's in really good spirits, (he always is) but sort of feels lost in a sense. Something is telling him he should be skating right now... Matt is expected to be back and ready to play sometime in December.

-Geordie Wudrick got into a tilt with the Edmonton Oil Kings' Drew Nichol in Saturday's game. Geordie is sporting a war wound on his forehead sustained in that battle. He will head off to LA Kings' camp this week.

-Cody Eakin was slated to play in Edmonton but sat out both games because he forgot his contact lenses back in Swift Current. I don't think Eaks will live that one down for a while, courtesy of his teammates.

-the quickest way to and from Edmonton is by way of Lloydminster and North Battleford. I made that trip yesterday in six hours and 19 minutes. If you choose the alternate route by way of Calgary/Red Deer, it takes just under seven hours. It all depends on how fast one drives I guess. On twinned pavement I go 120 KM/H, and on two-way pavement I cruise along at 110 KM/H.

-you'll notice I linked most of my favourite blogs and websites over there on the right. Feel free to test them all out....I know a few WHL-related blogs are missing, but won't be for long. I like to visit them all from time to time, and will post the links as they pop up in my head. Or better yet....please email me the ones you think should be in the list: erniewaldner@hotmail.com

-the voice of the Kelowna Rockets, Regan Bartel reported today that the Rockets are going to keep now former Legionnaire, Mackenzie Johnston. The Legionnaires already took a big hit with the departure of Andrew Blanke, who's expected to stay with the Broncos. How will all of this effect the Midget 'AAA' squad this season? We'll find out.....

-Andrew Blanke, by the way, had an awesome St. Albert tournament. I particularly liked his play on the Broncos' second goal versus the Pats when he powered his way to the net and crashed the crease to earn an assist. He was originally credited with the goal but it was later given to Jordan Peddle. In any case, Blanke showed his strength throughout both games and picked up two points on the weekend.

-the highlight of yesterday's Bronco shootout win over Regina was Jordan Peddle. He scored two goals and had a fight. A goal is better than an assist...so call it a Gordie Howe hat trick anyway.

That's it for now....I'm reeling from the stress of driving for 19 hours this past weekend. I need some rest. :)

Ciao.

Posted by Ernie Waldner at 5:46 PM

www.erniewaldner.com

Scout