PDA

View Full Version : Wandler keeping busy

Scout
09-02-2009, 03:38 AM
Waldner's World

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wandler Keeping Busy

It's a name Bronco fans are not unfamiliar with.....Bryce Wandler.

Whenever I visit friends in Red Deer, (namely the Postmas) I make a habit of attending their church service on Sunday morning. It's a chance to meet new people, and do what I don't do often enough....attend church. It just so happens that Bryce Wandler is a member of the same congregation as the Postmas, and this past weekend I had the chance to meet him.

Wandler was the Broncos' goaltender for two seasons at the tail end of the Todd McLellan era from 1998-2000. His highlight season was the latter of the two. That year he led all WHL goalies in wins, goals against average and save percentage, while winning the WHL's Top Goalie award. That Bronco team included names such as Layne Ulmer, Jeremy Reich, and Lawrence Nycholat. He played in 56 games that regular season and helped the Broncos finish first in the East division with a record of 47-21-4. He rewrote the franchise record book in several categories in the goaltending position including three that still stand:

-best GAA in a single season with a sparkling 2.06

-most shutouts in a single Broncos season...tied Ian Gordon with 6

-best GAA overall among Broncos goaltenders: 2.30

I did not attend Bronco games in Wandler's time with the team. Instead I was at home glued to the radio, listening to every minute of every game. But a story pops up in my head regarding Bryce Wandler. He was known for his outgoing nature. Some friends in my hometown of Cabri, SK. who attend every Bronco game, have some Wandler memorabilia in their basement. Their spots at the rink were directly behind the West end glass. Wandler presented their daughter, 10 years old at the time, with a signed goalie stick and a giant poster of him making a save in the Bronco crease. She was delighted. The poster still hangs there every time I go visit Cabri.

What's the guy up to these days? He's married with a family...including wife Lacy and his two daughters, Ally and Amy. He works at SunLife Financial in Red Deer as an advisor. Oh...and he still plays goal....for the Provost Blades of the Battle River Hockey League. Bryce also mentioned that he still has connections to Swift Current and keeps in contact with his former billets, Rod and Rhonda Siemens.

It was certainly a pleasure to meet Bryce Wandler. He's a guy who will be enshrined in the Broncos' history book for years to come.

www.erniewaldner.com

Scout

RDRebelsfan
09-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I know Bryce personally somewhat, very good guy. His dad works up in the press box at Rebels games, as well as time keeping for the Junior B team that I PA announce and DJ games for. He also played a few seasons for another team I'm with the Bentley Generals. He was a big reason during the Generals 1st trip to the Allan Cup in 2004. It's a shame he's not with the team anymore though, and how things went during the 2008 run, I'm still not exactly sure of how everything transpired. His dad often lets me know how his team is doing. I like reading this kind of stuff.