PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Early

Scout
09-03-2009, 03:26 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

THE MacBETH REPORT: D Mike Card (Kelowna, 2002-06) has been released at the end of his tryout contract by Ingolstadt. Ingolstadt head coach Jim Boni said: “Mike has told me himself that he was not happy with his performance. It's important for him that he gets a lot of game time this season and thus regain his confidence." Card played only 44 games over the past two seasons with Portland (AHL) and Rochester (AHL) due to injuries.
---
The Swift Current Broncos have dealt D Ryan Molle, 20, to the Kootenay Ice for a 2010 fourth-round bantam draft pick. Molle was a second-round selection by the Vancouver Giants in the 2004 bantam draft. He played three games with the Giants, one in 2004-05 and two in 2005-06. On Sept. 20, 2006, he was traded to the Broncos for a third-round pick in the 2007 draft. . . . He played three full seasons with the Broncos. . . . The Ice now have two 20-year-olds, the other being forward Dustin Sylvester, the team captain.
---
The ECHL’s South Carolina Stingrays have signed D Lyon Messier (Kelowna, 2007-08). Messier, 22, joined the Stingrays in February, after playing for the Charlotte Checkers. He also played last season with the Central league’s New Mexico Scorpions. Yes, he is the son of Hockey Hall of Famer Mark Messier.
---
Dennis Hextall is the new commissioner of the International Hockey League. He played for the Brandon Wheat Kings in the 1960s before going on to a pro career that included 681 NHL games. He is the son of Hockey Hall of Famer Bryan Hextall Sr., the brother of former NHLer Bryan Sr., and an uncle to former NHL goaltender Ron, who now is the assistant GM with the Los Angeles Kings.
---
The Lethbridge Hurricanes have signed six players – F Neal Tarnasky, 17; D Reid Jackson, 16; D Drew Graham, 16; F Michael Sofillas, 16; F Ryley Bennefield, 15; and D Adam Henry, 15. . . . Tarnasky is a younger brother to former WHLer Nick Tarnasky (Vancouver, Kelowna, Lethbridge (2001-04). Neal, from Caroline, Alta., was an eighth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft. He had 24 points and 90 penalty minutes in 30 games with the midget AAA Leduc Oil Kings last season. . . . Jackson, from Weyburn, Sask., was a second-round pick in the 2008 bantam draft. He played last season with a U-16 team at Shattuck-St. Mary’s, the Minnesota prep school. In 35 games, he had 15 assists and 40 penalty minutes. . . . Graham, a third-round pick in 2008, had 11 points in 16 games with the major midget Fraser Valley Bruins on B.C.’s Lower Mainland. . . . Sofillas is a list player who had 37 points in 44 games with the midget AAA Pembina Valley Hawks, who play out of his hometown of Morden, Man. . . . Bennefield was the Hurricanes’ first pick, 33rd overall, in the 2009 bantam draft. He had 57 points and 59 penalty minutes for the bantam AAA Leduc, Alta., Oil Kings last season. . . . Henry, the 55th pick in 2009, had 17 points and 52 penalty minutes for the bantam AAA Winnipeg Hawks.
---
The Kamloops Blazers reassigned two players on Wednesday. . . . D Kiefer McNaughton, 16, will play junior B with the Squamish Wolf Pack of the Pacific International Junior Hockey League. . . . D Jordan Beveridge, 16, will join the B.C. major midget league’s Vancouver-Northwest Chiefs. . . . Beveridge was a second-round pick in the 2008 bantam draft, while McNaughton went in the fourth round. . . . The Blazers’ roster now is at 30, including two goaltenders and 10 defencemen.

Scout

Scout
09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A WHL all-star team will meet a touring Russian side in Victoria and Kelowna as part of the six-game Subway Super Series in November. The teams will play in Victoria, at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, on Nov. 25 and the series will conclude Nov. 26 at Prospera Place. . . . The two OHL games will be played in Barrie and Windsor. The QMJHL sites will be revealed on Thursday. . . . You are free to speculate what it means for Victoria to play host to a game. Is that because the WHL is feeling the city out as a potential franchise site? Or does it mean that 21 other WHL teams weren’t interested in playing host to a game?
———
The Springfield Falcons have signed F Riley Emmerson (Tri-City, 2004-06) to an AHL contract. The 6-foot-8, 248-pound Vancouver native split last season between the ECHL's Florida Everblades and the AHL's Rochester Americans. The Falcons are affiliated with the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers.
———
The Everett Silvertips have signed F Jari Erricson, the 29th pick in the 2009 bantam draft. Erricson, from Prince George, had 28 points in 21 games with the Kelowna-based Pursuit of Excellence bantam AAA team last season.
———
The ECHL’s Ontario Reign announced Wednesday that F Denny Johnston (Medicine Hat, Prince George, Saskatoon, 1998-2003) has been released from his contract after having been accepted into medical school. In a press release from the Reign, Johnston said an injury figured in his decision. "I chose med school largely because of my wrist injury," said Johnston. "I don't think most of the fans knew that I had an issue with my wrist but I played all last (season) with it broke. My doctor evaluated me and said that I may be able to return in January, and that seemed like a very long time to wait."
———
The Central league’s Tulsa Oilers have signed F Marty Standish (Portland, 1995-99), who played eight seasons with the Oklahoma City Blazers before playing last season with the IHL’s Bloomington PrairieThunder.
———
The Prince George Cougars have signed D Mattia Bortolotto, 16, to a WHL contract. The 5-foot-9, 190-pound Bortolotto is from San Mateo, Calif. He played last season — and will play again this season — for the U-18 San Jose Jr. Sharks, who are coached by Tony Zasowski, one of the Cougars’ scouts.
———
The Tri-City Americans reassigned 11 players late Wednesday. On the move are G Warren Shynko, 17 (Yorkton, SJHL); D Chase Wharton, 18 (Spokane, KIJHL); D Jordan Allan, 17 (Tri-City Titans); D Sam Grist, 16 (Victoria, BCHL); F Alex Kromm, 18 (Brooks, AJHL); D Riley Guenther, 15 (Calgary, midget AAA); D Brett Pile, 16 (Winnipeg, midget AAA); D Eric Coscione, 18 (San Diego, junior A); F Brendyn Ilchuk, 16 (Winnipeg, midget AAA); F Jesse Wiebe (Spokane, KIJHL); and F Dayton Shaw (Drumheller, AJHL).
———
F Matt Ius, released last week by the Chilliwack Bruins, has signed with the BCHL’s Burnaby Express.
———
Roy Stasiuk, fired as general manager of the Lethbridge Hurricanes in May despite having a year left on his contract, has signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a western scout. . . . Who knows? Maybe Stasiuk will hang out with former Chilliwack Bruins GM Darrell May. May was fired in January and now will work as a western scout for the Chicago Blackhawks.
———
The Chilliwack Bruins doubled the Kamloops Blazers 6-3 in an exhibition game played Wednesday night in Hope, B.C. (Trivia: Name the well-know action flick that was filmed there?) . . . F Chris Collins, a fourth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft, had three goals for the Bruins, who got three assists from D Brandon Manning. . . . In Ladner, B.C., the Kelowna Rockets got 36 saves from G Adam Brown as they beat the Vancouver Giants, 2-0. Kyle St. Denis and Spencer Main had the goals. . . . Brett Ferguson had the only goal of the shootout as the Red Deer Rebels beat the host Calgary Hitmen, 4-3. Cullen Morin’s goal with 48 seconds left in the third period sent the game to the circus. . . . The answer is First Blood, which is the first Rambo movie. (Thanks to Kris for pointing this out. In a rush to finish up, I referred to the movie as Rambo.)
———
Wondering how Don Nachbaur, who left after six seasons as the Tri-City Americans’ head coach to join the AHL’s Binghamton Senators, is doing these days? You can find out right here.

Scout