PDA

View Full Version : Sanfred King

Boltz9
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Just by reading the whole story in the paper today it would make you think he is going to be on the team this year. I honestly don't know how thats even possible because he seem to be a useless player from what I see. Never seems to want to get involved in the play at all. Please dont tell me Kelly will have him on the team just based on the fact that hes a local kid. What does everyone else think?

Joe Hallenback
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
That is a hard question to answer

He is a veteran player and will probably not be asked to score but not get scored on. Those kinds of players are valuable on a memorial cup team. We could say go with more youthful players but Young players in the WHL are prone to lapses and letdowns.

Now he only played 35 games last season. He is not the most aggressive player on the ice but you don't need to be aggressive to be effective. I think we all need to stop seeing a 1st round bantam pick because I do not think he is going to get 90 points any time soon. But I could see him play on the 4th line centering his Brother and Hale and work at being a line that can keep the other team penned in there zone and NOT get scored on.

Boltz9
09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Well I do agree that you need the grinding type of players that don't necessarily score alot but don't get scored on. He to me seems to be a floater. I would like my 4th line players to be more agressive and physical to pin the other team in their zone. Hale is a good example.

Joe Hallenback
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
If he is going to be centering the 3rd line and play with guys like Stone then he will need to produce. That would put a guy like Ciarelli on the 4th line

Rajala Schenn Calvert
Depape Glennie Fehr
Stone King Lewadniuk
Wilson Ciarelli Hale
King Walker Ferland Sinatynski Rouse

I really think right now Depape position is not safe and could easily see Lewadniuk on the top 2. The bottom 6 I have to believe he would want Sanfred,Hale and Ciarelli on the bottom 6 some were. Leaving 3 spots open for 6 guys?

I have heard from a friend that Wilson,Ferland,Sinatynski and Wheaton have all really impressed the coaching staff and the next games are going to be huge to see who makes it

Boltz9
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Ya I really liked Wilson and Ferland. Wheaton wasn't that bad either. So we have 5 centers in the running (Schenn, Glennie, King, Ciarelli & Walker)? Or can any of the extras play center? Plus I didn't mind how Hall played the other night. I think if he was in more of a scoring role then he could produce more.

Vik
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
How has Sanfred looked in the preseason. Because it seems to me that he's done well there in the past (I think he even led us in scoring one preseason). I think the main problem for him has been confidence. He's capable of putting up some points but he's been on the 4th line so long that when he does get a chance to move up, I think he grips his stick too tight or whatever expression you like for a player worried about not scoring when given a chance like that. Which is why I think a change of scenery could be real good for him but I wouldn't have a problem having him back either.

But maybe that's just me.

Boltz9
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Like I said before he just doesn't seem to be interested in getting into the play at all. I can understand if hes hesitant to go to the boards because of his injury but I just don't see how we can keep him on our team this year. Nothing personal just my opinion.

sbtatter
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
First thing we have to remember is that Kelly is extremely loyal to his guys. I think he is giving King a chance to make this team.
Also, last year the games just before his injury he really was starting to excel in his role on the 4th line, so the potential is there for him to play that role again.
I'd like to see him be more physical, but as long as he's defensively sound, he may have a fit on the team, you've got to think he's going to be more reliable than a 16 year old in that role.....

Boltz9
09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
And he was let go... http://www.wheatkings.com/news_item.aspx?news_id=4958

BSB
09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I was wondering when the official announcement was going to be made. I heard from a good source this morning that a few different Dauphin Kings personnel had already been in touch with him (I believe last night) trying to convince him to go there.

Joe Hallenback
09-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Not surprising especially the way some of the younger guys have played

dagley
09-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Our roster is still huge, understandably since we got so many guys at NHL camps. The number should start going down later next week when we get guys back. Hopefully we can pull a few out on the road and get the big guys back.

Brandonite
09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
I think one of Sanfred Kings biggest problems from the past are when he was 16 and got cut from Brandon IMO he should have gone and played Junior A that year as a 16 year old to give him that full year of development and getting used to playing with guys 2,3,4 years older than him. The problem is he goes back to AAA and doesn't gain that confidence of playing with older guys. You see alot of guys starting to do that now so when they come back to their Major Junior camps as 17 year olds, they already have that 1 year of Junior that really seems to help them get WHL ready more so than AAA at the age of 16. Andrew Clark (Neepawa Natives), Josh Elmes (OCN Blizzard), Paul Bonar (Swan Valley Stampeders), Jordan Depape (Winnipeg), Brendan Walker (Portage Terriers) are all guys besides Elmes to go on and play in the WHL after suiting up in the MJHL as 16 year olds. Clark & Depape were both MJHL rookie of the year honors and Walker was runner up. Says alot about the development it does for a 16 year old. With King being 19, his chances of ever playing in the WHL again are gone

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Sanfred King picked up 2 assists tonight in a 4-3 loss playing his first game for his new team the Cowichan Valley Capitals of the BCHL.

Brandonite
09-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Interesting that he decided to join them rather than play for the RBC host Dauphin Kings. I know Dauphin was trying very hard to get him to go there and I woulda thought for sure he woulda gone plus that way he was close to Brandon because I know he still plans on returning at some point this season. The BCHL loves picking up WHL guys though and are usually the ones that offer up the bigger bucks

WorkHorse
09-26-2009, 09:56 PM
He'd be hearing about the Wheat Kings alot, might be hard when you really want to be there. He's never been away from home, might want the experience of being further away. Vancouver Island is pretty nice in the winter too. lol

WorkHorse
09-26-2009, 10:01 PM
He'd be hearing about the Wheat Kings alot, might be hard when you really want to be there. He's never been away from home, might want the experience of being further away. Vancouver Island is pretty nice in the winter too. lol

Vik
09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
It's a probably the better way for him to go because the BCHL is a much better league than the MJ.

Brandonite
09-27-2009, 08:28 AM
It's a probably the better way for him to go because the BCHL is a much better league than the MJ.

Im not denying the fact the BCHL is a much better league than the MJHL. I just thought he woulda loved the opportunity to compete in the RBC Cup