PDA

View Full Version : Heemer Stands tall @ Sharks camp

Tipped Off
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=497870&navid=sjs-home-dl

Sharks Rookies Win in Shootout, 2-1
Tuesday, 09.08.2009 / 1:31 AM / News By San Jose Sharks Staff

San Jose and Anaheim took to the ice for the first game of their three-day rookie tournament Monday night and the Sharks prevailed with a 2-1 shootout victory.

The story ended up being the shootout itself as it not only decided the contest, but it went eight rounds before the Sharks closed it out. The winning shot was delivered by Dean Strong (a free agent signee) who was the hero for the night as he also set up the Sharks opening tally.

On the regulation goal, which was scored by Michael D’Orazio (a tryout player), Strong sent the pass to the point and D’Orazion connected with a seeing eye puck.

“We had a little scrum in front and when the puck slid to the side, we got it to the point and the D-man buried it,” said Strong.

Anaheim tied the game with a third period goal by Nicolas Deschamps.

The primary reason the game even got to the shootout was the netminding of Thomas Heemskerk who is a tryout out player. Not only did Heemskerk stop seven of eight shots in the shootout, but he turned away 26 of 27 Anaheim shots during 65 minutes of live action.

Heemskerk admitted a bit of jitters prior to settling in.

“I got some nerves going, but after the first few minutes, I felt at home,” said Heemskerk. “I got in my rhythm. It was nice to get under my belt.”

The goalie of record noted the eight rounds were a first for him.

“I think in season I once went five rounds in the shootout,” said Heemskerk.

Sharks Director of Scouting Tim Burke was please with what he saw on the first evening of play.

Tipped Off
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=498077

Sharks Sweep Ducks Rookies
Thursday, 09.10.2009
News By San Jose Sharks Staff

Three games and three wins. That was the story for San Jose during their annual rookie games with the Anaheim Ducks this year. San Jose sealed the sweep with a 5-2 victory Wednesday night at Sharks Ice.

“Winning is the best thing, no matter what level,” said Daniel Erlich, who score a goal and added three helpers. “We came in a few days ago with a bunch of guys we didn’t know and we win and everyone is happy.”

San Jose had a balanced attack on the evening with five different players lighting the lamp. The scorers included Michael D’Orazio, Marc Cantin, Erlich, Corey Quirk and Joe Loprieno.

Erlich was happy to find the back of the net in the last contest.

“I was waiting for that,” said Erlich. “The scouts and coaches told me only way the only way to score was to shoot the puck.”

Defensively San Jose allowed just two goals on the night and only three in all.

“The goalies only allowed three goals in three games,” said Roy Sommer, Worcester’s Head Coach and the man behind the bench for the tournament. “There were a few break downs and the goalies came up big.”

The coaching staff went back to tryout netminder Thomas Heemskerk from the Everett Silvertips for a second game and he rewarded them with a second victory.

Heemskerk wasn’t necessarily expecting a second start, but was happy with the nod.

“I was excited to get the call again,” said Heemskerk. “I was sitting in my room last night and Wayne (Thomas) called and said to get ready.”

Heemskerk liked working with a little more wiggle room than he had in the 2-1 shootout victory in Game 1 that saw eight rounds of shootouts.

“They definitely opened things up and got the goals early,” said Heemskerk. “It is easy to play when you get a few more goals.”