PDA

View Full Version : 3 O/A for 1 spot

Tipped Off
09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090910/SPORTS/709109855/1003/SPORTS08

Glut of overagers

Two of the overagers spots are likely filled by vets, but the three 20-year-olds who are likely fighting for the remaining position need to make a big impression in this weekend’s games

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT — The Everett Silvertips have a roster logjam.

Little more than a week remains before the WHL season begins and the Tips have five 20-year-olds still with the team, with just three overage roster slots available.

Therefore, this week’s final three exhibition games — two at the Tri-City Preseason Tournament today and Friday, followed by a game Saturday at Seattle — could determine who stays and who goes.

“I think it’s a big weekend for all the 20-year-olds,” said Alex Poulter, one of the five battling for the three slots. “We have to earn our spots, it’s not going to be given to us.”

It seemed there would be little ambiguity about Everett’s overager situation when Everett general manager Doug Soetaert annointed winger Shane Harper, center Zack Dailey and defenseman Shayne Brown the three overagers after last season was over.

However, persistent injuries forced Brown into early retirement. The Tips then claimed three prospective overagers off waivers. Now a competition once again exists to fill those three spots, from which Everett is counting on impact play and leadership.

“There’s five 20-year-olds who could easily play here,” said Travis Dunstall, who like Poulter is one of the three claimed off waivers. “This weekend will be good for showing the coaches what I’ve got and what I can do.”

Everett’s two returning overagers, Harper and Dailey, both have four seasons playing for the Tips under their belts, and both have filled important roles in the past. Harper had a team-leading 32 goals, added 34 assists and was named the team’s co-Most Valuable Player. Dailey notched 43 points last season and served as the team’s captain. While Soetaert has stated that no one has a guaranteed roster spot, those two would appear to have an inside track, a notion that was reinforced by coach Craig Hartsburg.

“In my mind there’s two guys who are pretty obvious,” Hartsburg said. “Dailey and Harper are two guys who were here and are pretty much part of the plan and program. The other three guys are battling for one spot.”

That means it’ll be between Poulter, Dunstall and Colin Scherger for the final slot. Being plucked off the waiver wire is about the only thing the three have in common as each comes from a different background and brings something different to the table.

Dunstall, claimed from Medicine Hat last Friday, has the greatest pedigree. The 5-foot-10, 180-pound left wing was taken 16th overall by Kamloops in the 2004 bantam draft. He played three games in the WHL as a 15-year-old and has been a full-time WHLer ever since, though he has yet to live up to the standards of his lofty draft position. Last season Dunstall, who brings elements of both skill and grit, had 15 goals, 34 assists and 103 penalty minutes in 61 games.

Like Dunstall, Poulter, claimed from Prince George during the offseason, is also seeking his fifth season in the WHL. But unlike Dunstall, he went unselected in the bantam draft. The 6-foot, 202-pound center is more of a defensively responsible forward who shows hints of offensive ability. During a 2008-09 season in which he was nagged by injuries, Poulter had eight goals and 15 assists in 65 games.

Scherger, also claimed from Prince George during the offseason, gives Everett an option on the blue line. The 5-foot-10, 208-pound defenseman was a sixth-round pick by Seattle in the 2004 bantam draft, but didn’t establish himself in the WHL until last season, when he had one goal and nine assists in 65 games.

Any of the three could end up sticking.

“I knew coming in there was going to be some competition,” Poulter said. “It’s pretty much like that for every single team in the WHL, so you just have to welcome it and play your hardest.”

Everett doesn’t have to make a decision by the beginning of the season. Teams don’t have to get down to three overagers until the Oct. 15 overager cutdown date, and Soetaert has indicated a willingness to carry more than three into the regular season.

Only three can suit up per game, including during the exhibition season. That means it’s unlikely any of the five overagers will play in all three games this weekend. Therefore, they have to make their time on the ice count if they want to impress the coaching staff.

And because each of the candidates is different, the decision could come down to who best fills Everett’s needs, rather than who’s the better player.

“You just have to work hard in practice and games, and it comes down to the coaches and whoever they feel fits best with the group,” Dunstall said. “I’m just going to work as hard as I can and hopefully I’ll stick around.”