PDA

View Full Version : Pats win 6-5 in OT

nivek_wahs
09-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Leffler with 4 goals including the winner. I will have a write up in a bit.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Leffler with 4 goals including the winner. I will have a write up in a bit.

Thanks for the update Kevin I could not find anything...no radio broadcast....SO I really appreciate the news looking forward to the write up.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Lets just say that hopefully these officials dont make the cut for the regular season, because 20 powerplays was inexcusable. Was an enjoyable game, but could have been so much better. I mean...people dont come to games to watch 50 percent of the game on special teams, and a whistle every 40 seconds kills the flow.

And I know it might piss a couple people off, but man...the blades need to turn down the diving. Lucky for them the official(s) dont know the difference.

nivek_wahs
09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I will have to call this one a "stripes show" as the referees forever had their arms in the air calling penalties. Montsion and Gagnon kept themselves in the spotlight.... no blame to the oficials as there really wasn't too many "bad" calls but man o man lots of calls they cold have let them play but I think they were getting paid per whistle. Unofficially the powerplay's were 12 (2 goals) for the Blades and 8 (2 goals) for the Pats.

The first period started off waaaay better than the Wednesday night game.... anyway the Blades opened the scoring with a screen shot by Brendon Wall at 3:17 past Pats goalie Derek Tendler who couldn’t have seen it with the bodies in front of the net. The assists go to Tyler Yaworski and Gaelen Patterson. Blades 1-0.

The Pats tied it up just over 3 minute later at the 6:42 mark. From in close Matt Strueby deposited the Pats first goal of the game past Matthew Krahn the assists got to Alex Pym and Jordan Weal. Tie game 1-1.

Brett Leffler scored his first of the game to make the score 2-1 on the powerplay with a wrister past Krahn (who seemed to go down early on most shots tonight). Assists to Matt Strueby and Brayden Metz.

Tomas Hricina made the score 3-1 with a wraparound goal on the powerplay (I could swear someone else potted it but then again I wasn’t paying really close attention tonight). Alex Pym and Mitch Czibere picked up the assists.

Josh Nicholls made the score 3-2 with 1.3 seconds left with a goal from in close in a mad scramble. The ref’s reviewed it (I’m not sure why, it was clearly in..... looked like it might have been directed in with a hand but hard to tell with 5 or 6 guys in front of Tendler).

The second period was opened up with a snap shot by Brett Leffler which beat Krahn clean. Assists to Jordan Weal and Tomas Hricina. Pats were up 4-2.

Blades make it 4-3 with another goal from a mad scramble in front of Tendler. The defence seemed lost on this goal and Tendler had no chance to make the save. The goal went to Walker Wintoneak assisted by Duncan Siemans.

Goalie switch Tendler allows 3 goals on 23 shots and Krahn allows 4 goals on 21 shots. I will comment more on them later. Guhle and Sharkey replace the starters at 11:07 mark of the 2nd period.

Blades tied the game at 4 on a 5 on 3 powerplay goal. Darian Dziurzynski gets the goal and Chris Langkow and Walker Wintoneak got the assists.

Brett Leffler completes the hat trick at the 0:37 second mark shorthanded (3-on-4). Yet another snapshot that beat the Blades goalie top shelf glove side. The goal was unassisted. The officials really screwed something up here. The Pats were down 2 playing three on four when Leffler scored. Montsion calls the Blades Wall for delay of game and lets the other Blade player out of the box so the Blades were still on the powerplay instead of being 3-on-3. I don`t know how else to say it other than I think the ref thought that the Pats were on powerplay. I think it confused everyone except Montsion.

Blades tied the game yet again with a goal from Tyler Matheson assisted by Gaelen Patterson. I didn`t really see how this was scored but the Pats had a slight break down defensively and the Blades capitalized.

Onto overtime.... on a delayed penalty call the Pats d passed the puck around until the extra attacker could make it onto the ice. The extra attacker I believe was Leffler and he ended up with the puck on his tape and he snapped a shot past Sharkey. Brandon Davidson and Tyler Borstmayer with the assists.

Notes:
The Blades goalies were a tad shaky tonight. Krahn didn`t have a good outing. Sharkey was alright at times but seemed to go down way too early.

Sorry Blades fans I really wasn`t watching too many players that closely but I did keep an eye out for a few. Duncan Seimans looks like he will be a good d-man sooner than later. He did get burnt a couple of times but he will learn. Brent Benson was noticeable at times but disappeared for most of the game I don’t know if he was tired but he didn’t look great tonight. I did notice that the Blades hit everything anytime that they could. Once they get their vets back they will be good.

The Pats

The Good: Jordan Weal is crazy good. He is going to light it up. Brett Leffler looks like a man possessed and I hope he is named captain. Myles Bell, Brandon Davidson and Tyler Borstmayer..... I hope all three make the team this year. Matt Strueby.... I don’t have too much bad to say tonight he had a good outing.

The No-So Good: Travis Sparrow just seemed lost out there a couple times tonight and I haven’t been overly impressed with him too much recently. Shamus Graham looked like he didn’t fit into the scheme of things and was out of position quite a bit tonight.

The Indifferent: Jason Gardiner took some unnecessary penalties but made up for it with some nice physicality and good penalty kills. Brayden Metz, Dominick Favreau, Graham Hood, Andrew Rieder and Clarke Breitkreuz never stood out good or bad tonight.

nivek_wahs
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM
GAME SUMMARY
First Period
1. Saskatoon, Wall (Yaworski, Patterson) 3:17
2. Regina, Strueby (Pym, Weal) 6:42
3. Regina, Leffler (Metz, Strueby) 10:36 (pp)
4. Regina, Hricina (Pym, Czibere) 12:22 (pp)
5. Saskatoon, Nichols (Yaworski, Toomey) 19:59
Penalties — Weal Reg (hooking) 3:46, Gardiner Reg (interference) 7:27, Seimens Stn (slashing) 8:37, Crooks Stn (slashing) 10:58, Dziurzynski Stn (boarding) 14:49, Strueby Reg (holdng) 16:28.
Second Period
6. Regina, Leffler (Weal, Hricina) :23
7. Saskatoon, Wintoneak (Seimens) 3:48
8. Saskatoon, Dziurzynski (Wintoneak, Langkow) 13:01 (pp)
Penalties — Langkow Stn (high-sticking) :52, Borstmayer Reg (cross-checking) 7:54, Gardiner Reg (cross-checking) 11:07, Sparrow Reg (tripping) 11:49, Toomey Stn (roughing) 14:19, Dietz Stn (delay of game) 19:43, Gardiner Reg (hooking) 19:47.
Third period
9. Regina, Leffler :37 (sh)
10. Saskatoon, Matheson (Patterson) 3:21 (pp)
Penalties — Pym Reg (slashing) :08, Wall Stn (delay of game) :37, Leffler Reg (boarding) 3:08, Davidson Reg (holding) 3:43, Weal Reg (interference) 11:13, Metz Reg (handling the puck) 16:06.
Overtime
11. Regina, Leffler (Davidson, Borstmayer) :50
Penalties — none.
Saskatoon 11 17 11 1—40
Regina 15 10 6 1—32
Goal — Regina: Tendler (23-20) and Guhle (11:07 second); Saskatoon: Krahn (21-17) and Sharkey (11:07 second).
Power play (goals-chances) — Saskatoon: 2-12; Regina: 2-8.
Referee — Brett Montison, Patrick Gagnon; Linesmen — Matthew Lawrence, Keith Salamon.
Attendance — 1,722

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Rarely do I disagree with you, but I thought Metz was one of our best players tonight once again, and a shoe in for this years team. He is a bit lazy sometimes but makes up for it with great puck handling skills and quick hands. Id like to see how he does when paired with some skill.

Though everybody with eyes knows that Weal was once again great. The kid is ridiculous. I saw him undress this one guy 3 times in a row, and then later on flipping around the puck and spinning around on a rush but seemed he was in perfect control. He can do things in games that most guys cant do in practise or even against their little brothers. Though honestly I would like to see him shoot more. Either way, him and Eberle will be magic on the PP this year, and hopefully on different ES lines to compensate for depth.

Leffler was the star of the show but mostly because he was shooting the puck like a madman. Im pretty sure half of his goals wouldnt have happened if he was against more competant goaltending. Still, good on him for leading the charge...and Strueby showed he has been working on his shot whe he actually scored outside of the crease for a change. No thats not a typo, and it was a pretty big shot too. Unfortunately didnt see much from Czibere tonight, in comparison at least. Played good but nothing special. Its still a hard decision because Strueby did this last time, looked scary last year and then after november got like 5 or 6 goals.

On D, I am really starting to like Davidson and the new Pym, who were both great tonight, and Borstmayer(whos actually #36 by the way) was just 'ok' tonight with the exception of the spectacular game saving move on the breakaway. Bell was pretty good too but wasnt noticable much. Probably means hes doing his job. First time watching Shamus Graham, who didnt get much ice and did seem a little out of sync with the teammates, but he created a couple chances offensively. I think he is close to/is ready for the dub, but will get caught in the numbers and likely on the team next year. Sparrow will be a cut too since his short comings outweigh his positives and the youth coming in.

And wheres Slobozian at? Is he injured or just scratched both games?

As for randoms, I think Breitkreuz has some skill, but is just too slow, not strong on his skates and no patience with the puck. Probably a cut due to age like Sparrow, who probably played his last game in the brandt centre tonight. Rieder also hasnt been impressive in either of the games ive seen, except for a few good hits (like the one on 250 pound matheson). Might still be hesitant to say he is a shoe in for a spot. The Euros were both good even if Poletin didnt get on the scoresheet(though he was much better last game), and Gardiner was a decent physical presence. Looking for more from Hood and Favreau though...

Good to see the pats get their first win tonight...even if it was a powerplay fest. Both goaltenders were good and worthy of being a backup in the WHL, but Guhle should have the spot locked down. Noticed Tendler is slow going side to side, and isnt as quick reflex wise. Had trouble getting his legs all the way down on that one goal that just went under the pad, though I guess I havnt done the splits before either.

I still have a bad feeling that Tendler wins the spot anyways, because of all the press he got and the fact he was drafted. Hope the right decision is made.