PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 Tips & Giants

Tipped Off
09-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Not going to post all the stat stuff for this one since it's only game two. I'll start positing it on a regular basis once it has some depth to it. Here's the link to the PDF if you want to browse through it.

http://www.everettsilvertips.com/fanzone/files/1006159-234.pdf

Tipped Off
09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
The tips playe dan overall better game. It'll take a while to get the kinks out. I want to know what Don Hay was talking about though. Someone told me that on the Vancouver radio show after the game he daid the line of Tochkin-Maxwell & Froese "cheats". He did not elaborate.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090919/SPORTS/709209903/1003/SPORTS08#Silvertips.score.comeback.win

Silvertips score comeback win

Herald staff

VANCOUVER, B.C. — The Everett Silvertips were an awful third-period team last season.

Two games into this season and it’s already a different story.

Everett scored three unanswered goals in the third period Satuday night, and the Tips earned their first victory of the season by beating the Vancouver Giants 4-2.

Tips defenseman Radko Gudas scored twice, netting both the tying and go-ahead goals in the third period. Everett (1-1-0-0), which was outscored 107-65 in the third period and overtime last season, outscored its opponents 5-0 during its first two games.

Shane Harper also scored and Tyler Maxwell added an empty netter for Everett, while Thomas Heemskerk made 19 saves in goal for the Tips.

Craig Cunningham and Mike Piluso scored for Vancouver (1-1-0-0). Jamie Tucker, who was unscored upon by Everett in three full games last season, stopped 22 of 25 shots in net for the Giants.

Vancouver took a 2-0 lead and led 2-1 going into the third period. However, the Tips came storming back in the third period to turn the tide.

Gudas tied it up 3 minutes, 18 seconds into the third period. The Tips won a faceoff straight back to Gudas at the right point, and Gudas fired a shot through traffic that beat a screened Tucker to make it 2-2.

Gudas then struck again at 15:32 to give Everett the lead. The Tips put heavy pressure on the Vancouver goal just as a power play expired, and the puck was sent to the point to Gudas, who fired it in with Tucker out of position.

The Tips then salted away the final minutes, with Maxwell sealing it with his empty netter with nine seconds remaining.

Though the game ended well for Everett, it didn’t start well for the Tips. Vancouver took the lead on the power play 8:11 into the game when Cunningham wristed a shot from the left circle into the top corner to make it 1-0.

The Giants then doubled their lead 4:17 into the second period. Piluso threw the puck out front from a tight angle on the left, and it banked off a skate and past Heemskerk, making it 2-0.

Everett cut the deficit back down to one at 6:38 when Harper picked up his own rebound and scored on a wraparound just as a power play expired, making it 2-1. It was the first goal ever scored by the Tips against Tucker, whose three shutouts against Everett last season were as a rookie.

Silvertips 4, Giants 2

Everett 0 1 3—4

Vancouver 1 1 0—2

First Period—1, Vancouver, Cunningham 2 (Toigo, Bouma), 8:11 (pp). Penalties—Dailey, Everett (hooking), 5:14; Rissanen, Everett (roughing), 6:25; Scholten, Vancouver (roughing), 12:18; Gudas, Everett (checking from behind), 16:01; Rissanen, Everett (hooking), 19:30.

Second Period—2, Vancouver, Piluso 1 (Spooner), 4:17. 3, Everett, Harper 1 (Murray, Rissanen), 6:38. Penalties—Burns, Vancouver (tripping), 4:27; Funk, Vancouver (high sticking), 7:52; Scholten, Vancouver (holding), 13:47; Gudas, Everett (tripping), 19:48.

Third Period—4, Everett, Gudas 1 (Harper, Dailey), 3:18. 5, Everett, Gudas 2 (Dailey, Harper), 15:32. 6, Everett, Maxwell 2, 19:51 (en). Penalties—Abney, Everett (goaltender interference-fighting), 11:34; Scholten, Vancouver (fighting), 11:34; Connauton, Vancouver (holding), 13:11.

Shots on goal—Everett 9-8-9—26. Vancouver 10-6-5—21. Power-play opportunities—Everett 0 of 5. Vancouver 1 of 6.

Goalies—Everett, Heemskerk 1-0-0-0 (21 shots, 19 saves). Vancouver, Tucker 1-1-0-0 (25 shots, 22 saves).

A—7,642.

scrunt
09-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I want to know what Don Hay was talking about though. Someone told me that on the Vancouver radio show after the game he daid the line of Tochkin-Maxwell & Froese "cheats". He did not elaborate.

I seem to recall he related it to the Giants wanting to get the puck deep or put pressure on in the offensive zone, which I took to mean that the "cheating" was a tendency to either play up too high (i.e. not come back deep enough into the defensive zone) or leave the zone and head up ice a bit too soon looking for an offensive rush before the defence had fully controlled the puck.

Thus the cheat is on the team's system rather than the rules of the game.

Tipped Off
09-20-2009, 09:48 AM
that makes sense. Like I said, I didn't hear what context it was used in.

Thanks for the explanation.

dondo
09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Hartsburg made some good adjustment in the first intermission in that game, spreading out the offense well and forcing the Giants to uncharacteristically scramble. It was odd because I was noting in the first how well the Giants were keeping to their system and not getting caught cheating down and pinching poorly and then it all blew up in the second, the Tips surged and the Giants sagged and allowed themselves to be forced out of position.

Heemskerk was solid, but never had to be spectacular -- Kirk was his usual idiot self. Tucker has to better imo.

I have to say I still really hate losing to the Tips, ever, but Hartsburg and the boys earned that win. congrats.

That said, prepare to be vanquished on Saturday :P -- the cow bells will be silenced

Highlander_Yank
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
That said, prepare to be vanquished on Saturday :P -- the cow bells will be silenced

Tips fans haven't seen a regular-season home victory since mid-February. It'll be noisy. :)

Tipped Off
09-23-2009, 05:20 PM
This willby my first home opener I've missed. We are setting up Elk Camp this weekend. IF you don't help set up the tents and chop the wood, you don't get to sleep in the tents or sit by the fire. That's the rule we live by up at Elk Camp.

I'll be listening, though. At night...in just the right spot in the Manastash mountains in Eastern Washington...you pick up 1380 KRKO. I am hoping with the 50K Watt tower lighting up this year I'll get a better signal.

Redwic
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't think the cowbells were silenced. Quite the opposite. clrkthj

Redwic
09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Tips fans haven't seen a regular-season home victory since mid-February. It'll be noisy. :)

Was it really that long??? YIKES.

I'm glad that trend has been bucked. yeehoo