PDA

View Full Version : Game 2: Rebels vs Ice: The real Rebels show up!

Rebel~66
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow. What a difference 24 hours makes. Complete turnaround from last night's game. 7-1 win over a team that won 8-1 the night before.

Unable to post any thoughts right now but I'll post later when I've got a chance.

rebel
09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
gotta love tonight what a turnaround. like u said What a difference 24 hours makes. what a line brawl to good to see them stick up for each other. :bounce: applause

RDRebelsfan
09-20-2009, 12:35 AM
What goes around, comes around Kootenay felt those effects. Much better effort by the Rebels.

rdreb
09-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I have to agree what a diff.24 hrs.make.
When was the last time you seen a line brawl?
It was good to see them standup for each other.
The D play a lot better game.
I like the line comb"s also.

SectionNDeserter
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
When was the last time you seen a line brawl?I am not sure, but I think Dustin Schwartz was in the middle of it!

The Rebels dominated huge parts of this game, I think the only time the puck wasn't in the Kootenay end of the ice was when they were on the PK and for about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. I really like how the rookie Elson didn't back down from anyone, even hulking sophomore Drew Czerwonka! Weller had a strong game, flattening a host of guys who were trying to go outside on him with some stiff checks. And what a beautiful goal by RNH, his second in as many nights!

Matt Fraser did nothing in this game but get flattened a handful of times by Rebel defenders, take a dumb penalty and then slough-foot Weller, jump him, and then punch him a bunch of times after he had already wrestled him down to the ice. He is easily one of the more gutless hockey players I have ever seen, and I am glad we managed to get rid of him while we still could. Hope him and Weller get to actually square off next game, like men...

Might see a few suspensions out of this one too. Machacek roughed up a linesman pretty bad in an attempt to get back into the fray, and continued to do so even after being warned. During the Redmond/Machacek and Czerwonka/Elson tilts, Cowen seemed to be trying to get one of the other Ice players to fight, and they were all skating to the bench, so he skated over and put Czerwonka (who was starting to get the better of Elson by that point) in a headlock. That of course brought all the ice players back into the fray and turned it into a full-fledged line-brawl. Not too sure if there is any specific violation there, but it seemed to be what re-ignited the whole situation.

Sucks to see Ferraro go down. He went into the boards kind of awkwardly, after a shot from Sylvester, and then Sylvester lost an edge and fell on the side of his leg while it was stretched out funny. Luckily it was 75lb Sylvester, and not someone like McNabb or Antilla. He went off under his own steam, but he wasn't putting any weight on his left leg. :(

hockey4
09-20-2009, 11:02 AM
This is exactly why i dont like opening night expectations. There was really nothing the team could correct fundamentally in one day, so it has to be chalked up to opening night jitters. In my 16 years of attending Rebels games, i dont think ive seen a change in play on back to back nights like i saw this weekend.

We have managed to draw a ton of penalties over the last 2 games, evidence that our speed could be tough on the other team. As opposed to the preseason, the rebels are also playing very disciplined.

I can now sit here an say, that is the team i was expecting. Still need some work on the PP IMO, a bit too fancy. Kuemper looks like he still hasnt found his form yet, as even last nights goal was a little sketchy. But props for staying composed when theres little work.

Line brawl was great, not sure on rules regarding third man in, second fight of game (elson), second, third, fourth fight at a time.

Nature Boy
09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
What a difference 24 hours makes. The Real Rebels showed up. The powerplay was better but they still have to work on it a bit. I thought the defense were better. They were better with their transition passes. The passes were usually tape to tape and on the fly so that the forwards could gain the zone with speed. The forecheck was good and so was the cycle game. The line combos are good now. With the first line having all the speed, the second line with a skilled centre and a speedy winger and a veteren. The third line is all about muscle with Persson and Mappin they play well together. I liked the game that Turner Elson brought. Safe to say he will be in the lineup for the next game. He is an in your face and has some speed and skill. He reminds me of a smaller cobly armstrong or possibly a colin fraser.
The brawl was nice to see but cowen had to step in as elson was getting pounded and the linesman and the refs were busy.
Great win and keep it up

3rebels
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Congrats to the Rebels!! After leaving in a huff on Saturday nite, for which we were clearly WRONG, it was nice to see the team show up & off together! We were originally going to the Sat game and switched because of an out of town event that never materialized! It happens, and we won't let it taint our view next time. Still a fan!!:groovy:
vc1tt

Hitmen1
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Anyword on the results of Landon's MRI?