PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs trade for Beach

LifelongChiefsFan
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.spokanechiefs.com/news/index.html?article_id=341

The Spokane Chiefs have acquired forward Kyle Beach from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for defensemen Mike Reddington and Landon Oslanski. Beach was the Chicago Blackhawks first round draft selection, 11th overall, in 2008.

“Kyle Beach is the complete package,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “He’s big, physical, skilled and sees the game very well offensively. He will complement our forwards because of the dimensions he brings.

“We knew we had to make a move because of our numbers on defense and we were hoping to acquire a top three forward and this trade accomplishes that.”

As a 16-year-old with the Everett Silvertips in 2006-07, Beach was named the WHL Rookie of the Year after scoring 29 goals and 61 points in 65 games. He also led the Silvertips with 196 penalty minutes. In 2007-08 he recorded 27 goals and 60 points in 60 games with a team leading 222 penalty minutes. In 54 games split between Everett and Lethbridge last year Beach scored 24 goals and 66 points with 165 penalty minutes.

Reddington, a member of the 2008 Memorial Cup Champions, was originally a second round bantam selection in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft. The Port Coquitlam, BC native has played in 194 career games in Spokane, plus another 34 in the playoffs. The defenseman scored two goals and had 15 assists with a +17 last year. He also posted 76 penalty minutes. In three seasons Reddington has 259 penalty minutes, including a team leading 102 in 2007-08.

Oslanski had an assist and was plus one on Friday night in his WHL debut in a 6-3 win over Prince George. The Camrose, Alberta native was Spokane’s selection in the third round of the 2007 WHL Bantam draft. In 2008-09, Oslanski scored six goals and 16 points with the Sherwood Park Kings of the AMHL. In 2006-07, Oslanski had 10 goals and 23 points in 30 games for Leduc of the AMBHL.

“Mike and Landon will receive a great opportunity in Lethbridge. We wish them both all the best.”

All I can say is wow. I never thought the Chiefs would ever trade for this guy. I understand the desire for more scoring, but there had to be better options out there. I can't say I'm a fan of this trade at all. It's bad enough getting Beach and his wonderful attitude, but the Chiefs gave up one of their defensive stalwarts as well. I'd love to be eating my words come March, but I just don't see it happening. I wonder if Speltz has any more trades coming?

Anyway, good luck to Reddington and Oslanski.

Pete76
09-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome Kyle Beach ... if you score points on don't take stupid penalties ... we will enjoy your company and it may help you sign a larger NHL contract ... I called my wife and told her ... she said "I hate that guy" ... so, you may have some work to do with the fans:)

Bam!

Allin44
09-23-2009, 11:23 PM
This isnt a bad trade to make at the start of the season, you give him a chance at the start, if he doesnt work, get rid of him.

His ceiling is so high, i'd take the risk at the start of the season, not at the end(re: deadline) tho

apsco17
09-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Congrats on acquiring the leagues biggest jerk.

HomerSimpson
09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
He has higher scoring potential than Bowman and is a Myles Stoesz-type player. Both were huge fan favorites here in Spokane. If Kyle Beach had never played for the Everett Silvertips, alot of the comments would be different (not all - but alot).

Personally, I hate the deal. I don't care for the player, and I was a huge Mike Reddington fan. But, you can't blast Tim Speltz until you see the results. He must think that Kyle Beach is going to take this team to the next level - we all know Tim knows how to run a hockey club.

For me, I'll wait and see what happens. Either he'll be in the top 10 in the league in scoring and we will go deep into the playoffs, or we will go back to the "glory days" - losing games by one goal and ending them in line brawls.

Either way, it should be fun!