PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Silvertips 4 - OT S/O Sept 26 2009

dondo
09-27-2009, 12:02 AM
JT Barnett is on a roll, scoring two tonight from his office, the front of the net getting those greasy goals Don Hay loves so much. His two push his goal tally to 6, leading the team. The Giants lose this one in a shootout after a weird goal from the Tips to tie the game. Tucker was pretty good tonight and got a bit of help from the red iron.. keep praying to the post gods Tucker. Star selection was laughable as it usually is in Everett -- I've taken the liberty to right some wrongs and post them as they should have been. If you are going to give a goalie a star tonight, give it to Tucker not Heemskerk who never had to be excellent, just solid.

cowbells should be outlawed.. a more irritating sound I cannot imagine

Tips Rainbow Giants
Vancouver 3 Everett 4 - OT S/O

Don Robinson

The Silvertips came out by scoring a short-handed marker and a PP goal before the Giants got on the board in the first. Craig Hartsburg has his team working well, using their speed and tenacity. The Giants were mostly equal to the task clawing their way back into the game with a goal in each period, scoring three unanswered. The Tips tied the game with the goalie pulled and time ticking down as a rainbow shot found its way up and over Tucker who had no clue where the puck went. The Tips pressured the puck well, and forced the Giants to make plays more quickly than they were hoping. Jamie Tucker was very solid and again very lucky in net hearing the dulcet tones of the red iron a few times, while still making some great stops, flashing the leather and not getting caught scrambling. Nothing was decided in OT, went to the shootout and extra shooters. Everett gets the extra point.

It was tenacity versus speed and tenacity almost won. The Silvertips opened the scoring while killing a penalty. Dailey chipped the puck past Kevin Connauton at the point, giving the Tips a 2 on 0 breakaway. The puck went to Iwanski who made a great move to bury the puck. The home squad padded that lead on the PP, when euro phenom D-man Gudas buried the puck from the slot. The Giants managed to get that one back before the end of the first as Lance Bouma put the puck on net and JT Barnett, waiting in his office, pounced on the rebound lifting it up and over Heemskerk.

The Giants tied the game up just past 5 minute mark of the second when Lane Scheidl drove the net from the sideboards muscling his way through traffic, James Henry was on the doorstep to put away the garbage. Jamie Tucker had a very good second period holding his team in there, flashing some leather and battling hard for his saves. There was one flurry where he turned away about five shots in a row. The period would end with the Giants getting the only goal.

The third was a bit more even as the Giants had to hold off the Silvertips aggressive forecheck. At one point the Silvertips were given a penalty shot when their guy was disrupted from behind. Tucker had the angle, but breathed a huge sigh of relief when the puck clanged off the post. Late in the period JT Barnett got his second of the night, once again going to the net and putting home a Mike Piluso rebound. The Tips would tie the game with their goalie pulled off of a truly bizarre play. As far as I can surmise they were coming into the zone, the puck went high into the air and dropped down behind Tucker for a goal. I don’t think Tucker even noticed it go in the air and was staring at the ice as it trickled in behind his shoulder. OT solved nothing and the game went to a shootout where Henry scored for the G’s and Harper and Maxwell scored for the Tips.

The Giants allowed a few too many seams tonight and had a few defensive break-downs early on that had them working from behind. Credit the boys for earning the point by coming back from a two goal deficit to take the lead before a weird bounce tied the game. Tucker had a very solid game and had to be good often as the G-Men were giving the Tips too many quality chances around their net. Reffing was a bit precious tonight as they called some pretty soft stuff, but in the end wasn’t criminal.

Everett’s obscenely biased star selections are completely pathetic, the worst building in the league for pulling this homer crap. The one choice was such blatant homerism that I will post the ones as they should have been not as they were in the most egocentric building in the league. What would have happened had the Giants won that shootout? 2 Tips and 1 Giant? The Giants have a day or two to prepare for the Lethbridge Hurricanes in their barn on Tuesday. 7:00 game at the Coliseum.

Three Stars *(as they should have been)

1. Levko Gudas
2. JT Barnett
3. Zach Dailey

Ice Doctor
09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
There's a Radko Gudas that plays for the Silvertip's?

dondo
09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
d'oh I kept hearing Levko (as in Koper) and I didn't check up on it -- odd that's not like me-- thanks Ice Doctor .. RADKO Gudas

the Tips actually had him as third star, but without Radko the Tips would never have got any momentum. I gave him first star, second to Barnett for his two goals and excellent work all over the ice and Zach Dailey for contributing and getting a flukey goal as time ticked down

the Tips had it as

Zach Dailey
Tomas Heemskerk
Radko Gudas

they were also saying in the post game show how that was the best Tips game ever .. and I have to feel sorry for them if they believe its true. Which it isn't because I, sadly, have personally witnessed much better games at the hands of the Tips .. I guess one bad season and everybody's pouty down there.

Ice Doctor
09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Don't know about it being the best Tip's game ever but, it certainly was an improvement over last year's Tip's team.

The first period was all Tip's. You are correct, all Heemskerk needed to do was stay solid because the entire first period was played in the Giants defensive end. The Tip's passing was crisp, accurate, and spot-on from tape to tape. Giants D was out played.

Second and third periods were much more even. Certainly the tying Tip's goal seemed week, but that's the way the puck drops. Giants could have won it in the shoot out but didn't. No Homerism there!

I kinda like the cow bells. After all, don't we call the rink a barn?

Highlander_Yank
09-30-2009, 12:54 AM
After the game, I heard several people saying that Barnett was robbed in the three stars selection. I agree with your picks.

At least Nick Patterson (the Tips blogger) gave Barnett an honorable mention.

Redwic
09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I also agree with Dondo's picks. Gudas is the real deal. Those who have yet to see him play will be impressed.
I never expected Barnett to play that well this season. He's doing very well.
And although I don't agree with Dailey as the Silvertips' captain and one of the team's three OAs, I have to admit that he put forth a great effort in the games thus far. But I wonder if that intensity will remain after the OA Deadline passes and once his spot appears more secure? Hmmm... Regardless, I will root for anyone who gives 100% for the team.

I disagree with the "if you are going to give a goalie a star tonight, give it to Tucker not Heemskerk" theory, only in that Tucker was extremely fortunate that multiple shots rung off the posts and crossbar during the night. I'm still not convinced that he is a #1 type of goaltender in this league, but we shall see over the course of this season without the help of the Blum and the other defensemen who helped him so much last season.

In contrast, Heemskerk had to make a lot of solid saves during the game. Do I think he deserved a Star of the Game? No. But he impressed enough for the San Jose Sharks to sign him within a day or so of the game.

The homerism for Three Stars of the Game is not the worst in Everett. I have been in other arenas where the Silvertips have shutout and/or dominated the opponent on the opponent's home ice and the Silvertips getting robbed of any Stars. Even in the B.C. Division...

dondo
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
^ he's getting better every outing redwic as I was cringing early in the season. Unlike Sexsmith, who was fundamentally incredible, Tucker is a battler and as such puts himself out of position a few times by over playing the puck. Our goalie coach is working hard on that aspect right now and is a great technical teacher so Tucker could be much better by the end of the season when we need him to be rock solid.

I wouldn't have given Tucker a star either to be honest .. but compared to Heemskerk he had to make the better stops in the game giving his team a chance to get back into it.