PDA

View Full Version : Heemer signs with Sharks

Tipped Off
09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.everettsilvertips.com/news/story.cfm?ID=1563

Thomas Heemskerk Signs with San Jose
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Thomas Heemskerk excelled at San Jose's rookie camp and has opened up the 2009-10 WHL season with a pair of victories over the Vancouver Giants.
Everett, WA - Everett Silvertips Vice President / General Manager Doug Soetaert announced Tuesday that goaltender Thomas Heemskerk has signed an entry-level contract with the NHL's San Jose Sharks.

Heemskerk, 19, has opened the 2009-10 season with a pair of wins over the Vancouver Giants, appearing in three games total with a 1.93 goals against average and a .933 save percentage. The 6'0, 182 pound native of Chilliwack, British Columbia performed well at San Jose's rookie camp, earning two victories against the Anaheim Ducks and stopping 61 of 64 shots en route to becoming one of four goaltenders to participate in main camp. He was acquired in December, 2008 in a trade with the Kootenay Ice.

"Thomas has worked extremely hard since we acquired him last year to put himself in position to earn this contract," Soetaert said. "We're very happy for him."

Heemskerk becomes the third Silvertip to sign an NHL contract in 2009, joining Taylor Ellington and Kellan Tochkin, both of whom signed contracts with the Vancouver Canucks.

"It's something that I've been thinking about since I was little kid, and for it to come true is incredible," Heemskerk said. "It's very exciting, but I'm more focused on putting together a strong season in Everett."

The Silvertips continue the 2009-10 season at home on Wednesday, October 7th against the Portland Winterhawks. For ticketing information, please visit www.everettsilvertips.com, or call the Silvertips offices at (425) 252-5100.