PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Blazers 4 OT - Oct 3 2009

dondo
10-04-2009, 01:08 AM
I have to say I was worried the boys wouldn't come back going into the third down two, as I was feeling like they were be out-worked on the night, but once again the boys came from behind to make a game of it.

Tucker wasn't ugly as he had some bad puck luck, but he didn't look solid either. I think pulling him in favour of Jensen was the right move and it proved to be true. Tucker needs to know that the team is confident in his abilities as a starter, but that he shouldn't relax as there's another young goalie, one year younger, who is ready to step in should he falter. That should be incentive to work hard in practice, learn your fundamentals and make sure you bring your best game to the ice -- not paralyse you into making bigger mistakes -- I personally believe Tucker isn't so fragile (to be blunt he can't afford to be). After all that red iron as of late the coin of fate was bound to flip the other way and tonight it did for Tucker, thankfully not his team.

Giants Temper Blazers
Vancouver 5 Kamloops 4 OT

Don Robinson

Game two of these two team’s home at home series didn’t disappoint as the Giants fought hard to get back into the game, after being down early. It was a back and forth affair which saw a rookie D-man shine and the Giants press the offensive zone to get back into the game, finally claiming the victory in OT. The home squad could have given up after a few set-backs, but like they have done a few times this season so far they battled back to tie the game and send it to OT.

The Blazers were rolling tonight and got a few fortunate bounces along the way. Their first goal went in off a defender when it looked as if the puck was shot way wide of the net. Underwood got his first of the season. David Musil got that one back threading a shot through traffic to find the twine. Nolan Toigo and JT Barnett got the assists. It Musil’s first WHL goal, which he followed up with two more in the game for his first WHL hat-trick. What a way to find your scoring touch. The Giants needed him badly tonight as his steady work on the back-end was a solid as his offensive flair. The Blazers got that one back as the Stebner got his first of the season, finding the net up high through a screen. Jamie Tucker was down pretty early on the shot and probably could have played it better. 34 seconds later Trask golfed one from the side of the net which hit a skate and went up trickling through Tucker. Tucker was pulled after allowing 3 goals on 9 shots as well as taking an undisciplined penalty early in the period. Back-up ‘tender Brendan Jensen was brought in to take his place.

The Giants pressed doggedly in the second and Neil Manning found the back of the net on the PP. Craig Cunningham and Kevin Connauton got the helpers on the play, working the puck back to Manning for a nice point shot through traffic. Late in the period Trask found a loose puck in the crease, swooped in and put it past Jensen, putting his team back up by two. The Blazers did a good job keeping the Giants to the outside for the majority of the game, but the tenacious Giants kept finding seams to pad Justin Leclerc’s stats.

It was not the best Giants outing, as they lost a bunch of puck battles that they should probably have won and the Blazers were faster to the puck and generating some dangerous chances, but in the end the Giants battled back to force OT. The Giants did a very good job pressuring the Blazers in their own in the final frame though, pinning the visitors and wearing them down by keeping the puck alive. It took ‘til almost the 13 minute mark of the period for Musil to get his second of the night firing a low hard rising shot, which beat Leclerc stick side. The relentless pressure of the G’s continued unabated as they pressed for the equalizer. Similar to last nights game the Giants pounded high double digits in the second and third on the net to wear down the Blazers, but this time they managed to get the win. Musil blasted the puck off of a Craig Cunningham face-off win, putting the puck past Leclerc before most of the players on the ice could react. I blinked and actually missed it. I had to watch the replay to see how the puck went in. That tied the game. A flurry both ways ensued as the teams tried to get the winner, but the game would have to go to extra minutes.

As they did last night, the Giants dominated OT garnering lots of shots and drawing a penalty late to give themselves a chance 4 on 3 for the remaining 1:55. The Giants had their chances, but it was Cunningham with his second OT GWG of the season bulging the twine with some great work down low. Manning and Connauton got the assists as the two teams split the series with three points apiece. With the win the Giants remain on top of the BC Division.

The G-Men out-shot the Blazers 53-27, getting 20 in the second, 19 in the third and 6 in OT. Leclerc was excellent down low and stopped I don’t know how many wrap-around attempts with his skate hard to the post and his paddle down. The Giants went 2 for 6 on the PP, while holding the Blazers to 0 for 3, with one of the Blazer goals coming just after the expiration of one of their PPs. The Blazers were held to 4 shots in the third and 0 in OT as the Giants kept the puck in the Kamloops end of the ice for the majority of the final frame.

Jensen looked very good in relief using his big body to block shots, gaining confidence as the game went on turning aside 17 of 18 shots for the win. Musil was lights out tonight looking great at both ends of the ice and the main reason the Giants walk away with a W. It was a close game and the Blazers were full money for their effort, checking close and challenging the points, but the Giants managed to out-last them, patiently wearing them down until they could find the seams. I have to say I find it amazing that the Giants can find a way to win these games when the visitors look so dominant on the puck for most of the evening. The G’s were very good at getting traffic in the shooting lanes and in the end it’s what earned them the win. Bouma had one of his softer games in my estimation, but Gallagher was all over the ice and in the Blazers face all night long. Cunningham worked his butt off as well and it was one of the better outings for Toigo (except that is for the puck going in off of his skate), I have seen this season. Ryan Funk and Connauton were both –3s on the night, with Connauton getting two assists on the PP. They will need a much better effort from now on the defensive side of the puck on if they hope to keep their team in games.

The Giants have most of the week off before three games in four nights next weekend, starting with the always challenging Kelowna Rockets on Friday and on Saturday the visiting Medicine Hat Tigers before heading up the valley to Chilliwack for a traditional Thanksgiving Day game on Monday. The team still has a way to go before they fuse into the well-oiled machine of Giants teams gone past, but they have a great start with their current roster and their work-ethic. Despite missing key players they hoped to have back in the line-up, who are still in the NHL the team is finding ways to get the puck in the net, if only through pure determination. Don Hay teams generally do not give-up and if the first several games of this season are indicative of the how the rest will go, this team is no different. Maybe a bit less skilled (due to some holes that they had expected to be filled by now), but they all seem to be ready to learn and work and grow and buy into Hayzer’s way of hockey. In the end that’s all you can ask from such a youngster laden team with 4 (5, 6) brand new players on the blue-line (two of them 16 yr olds). I have to keep reminding myself that the team is pretty young and there are three 16 yr old players on the squad as well as a raft of 17’s. I’m looking forward to next weekend, should be fun.

Three Stars

1. David Musil
2. Craig Cunningham
3. Jake Trask

Section_Z
10-04-2009, 11:17 AM
The Giants did look outplayed a little out there to start, but the 3 unanswered goals to finish the game, with a dominant 3rd and OT, OUtshooting the Blazers 25 -4 showed us that this team has grit.

Kulchar looked good out there last night. Maschmeyer wears the goat horns for the OT penalty.