PDA

View Full Version : Forwards

CrazyGeorge
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Saskatoon has 7 forwards on their roster that are 210 lbs or bigger. What does Swift Current have? Swift has 3 forwards that are between 200 and 208 lbs, the rest of the forwards are under 200 lbs. We do have players that can play physical and not overally huge but it would be tough matching up against a team like the Blades size with our current roster. Maybe it's just on the road we appear soft but our young and small forwards will get drilled into the ground if we don't get some people to help protect and not intimidate. Just an opinion. Thoughts?

trucker
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think that the size of players is the "be all, end all" size does help, but it's not everything. You need a mixture, we do have some size but maybe don't use it to our full potential...I'm thinking of only a couple of guys but namely Wudrick. What a team needs more than anything is heart, a constant work ethic and belief. I think the mental aspect is more than anything. We do look good at home, Tassone is comin back we are a good team. I agree some tweeking should be in order, I don't say this to make enemies but Wudrick could be someone we could get rid of and get some profitable returns for, just my opinion. punk rock

CrazyGeorge
10-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Perhaps my wording of my post wasn't exactly how you put it but I agree with you. I sounded more negative than anything but you put it best when you were refering to the mental aspect of the game. Perhaps dealing certain vets may be something to think about. I really enjoy Tassone's game and can't wait till he returns. Approximate date?

trucker
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm looking forward to Tassone coming back too! I love his emotion, and heart you could always expect the best from him. I thought he was supposed to be back Novemberish. Keen said he was a little ahead in the healing process a few weeks back, but thats all I've heard. I think him coming back will greatly improve our team, no doubt! I don't know which 20 goes then, I like the hard hitting Stickland and think we need him. The players seem to like our captain and he plays hard every night, I think we need him too. A young defense could use Doyle, and Tassone we have yet to see what he can after shoulder surgery, hope he will be fine.

sectionL
10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I think having a tough guy speaks for itself, i'm not talking about a goon but a type of player that doesn't hinder your team while he's on the ice. I'm not saying tidball was a good example of this but if you remember back when he played just the thought of him made our little guys play huge and there guys police themselves. In hockey toughness is a must

CrazyGeorge
10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Well said SectionL!!

sectionL
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
In my opinion as far as 20 yr olds go, i would say that if tassone comes back and can do what he has done in previous years minus the fighting he's a keeper which makes claffey the odd man out. Stickland has really elevated his game and doyle is almost untradeable on the back end. Claffey has the C but who thought at the beginning of the year Tassone wouldn't be wearing it. i think we can find a 19 yr old that can bring the same things to the table but with more toughness. With coach and team this year i dont think leadership is the problem

Toswammi
10-07-2009, 06:22 PM
In my opinion as far as 20 yr olds go, i would say that if tassone comes back and can do what he has done in previous years minus the fighting he's a keeper which makes claffey the odd man out. Stickland has really elevated his game and doyle is almost untradeable on the back end. Claffey has the C but who thought at the beginning of the year Tassone wouldn't be wearing it. i think we can find a 19 yr old that can bring the same things to the table but with more toughness. With coach and team this year i dont think leadership is the problem

You would keep Claffey over Doyle? I actually think you are in the minority in the rink these days. Lots of Doyle bashing. I think our defense is worse off with Claffey out than Doyle myself.

sectionL
10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't think i'm in the minority by any means. Claffey is supposed to be a shut down d-man and Doyle an offensive D-man. Doyle plays his role much better as far as i'm concerned. His plus minus is higher and his career stats are staggeringly better. And its not like Claffey is the only one playing against good lines, Doyle has the same talent level coming at him as Claffey does. On the powerplay Doyle seems to be the only one able to make a cross ice pass.

trucker
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I would have to agree with Doyle being the odd man out as well. Those corner battles that Doyle has are pretty weak and I think our team needs whatever toughness we do have, plus everyone likes our captain! Section L had a good point when saying we need a tough guy, that really does "police" players, and smaller guys do play like they are 6'5. Are there any tough guys that are available around the league?

dubfan
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
No matter what if you trade a twenty you wont get a fresh body only a mid round pick unless it is in a package deal. If Taz is okay he will not be fighting, he will be abrasive but not fighting. I would keep Doyle, Stickland and Taz. Claffey is good defensively in own zone but as soon as the puck is on his stick it is a disaster. Will need D help regardless the offence starts from the D and to many rims and not complete short FIRST passes, cant rely on young guys all year.

Broncs in RD
10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Ryan Howse from chilliwack and Jesse Craig.

Flathead
10-09-2009, 11:38 PM
It's funny how people see different things. IMO, Stickland hasn't done all that much as a twenty, most nights I don't even notice him, and will be the odd man out. We have lots of depth up front and need Doyle and Claffey on the back end with the youngsters and Tassone isn't going anywhere.

speedyfan3
10-10-2009, 12:05 AM
funny how you can say Stickland hasn't done much, up until that last two games he was a point a game. He has been taken off the PP and PK and still has decent points. IMO Vause, given his lucrative TOI has been average. Eakin has been average. Claffey has been par at best, giving up some easy rushes. Tassone is the unknown. who knows if he will even last, major surgery on two shoulders...don't expect much...you can hope all you want, but he may be nothing of what he was when he left. He is a hard working player, not the most talented, but I think alot of what he was about was the line he was out with. Lowry, Vause and Hoban as starters on the PP, as I commented to on the GAME 8 posting, is a joke, especially when you are down in a game. Coaching needs to re-evaluate some things here in the early going IMO..

Flathead
10-10-2009, 12:48 AM
funny how you can say Stickland hasn't done much, up until that last two games he was a point a game. He has been taken off the PP and PK and still has decent points. IMO Vause, given his lucrative TOI has been average. Eakin has been average. Claffey has been par at best, giving up some easy rushes. Tassone is the unknown. who knows if he will even last, major surgery on two shoulders...don't expect much...you can hope all you want, but he may be nothing of what he was when he left. He is a hard working player, not the most talented, but I think alot of what he was about was the line he was out with. Lowry, Vause and Hoban as starters on the PP, as I commented to on the GAME 8 posting, is a joke, especially when you are down in a game. Coaching needs to re-evaluate some things here in the early going IMO..

I don't know, why not reward the players that are playing hard every shift with some PP time. Vause, Peddle, Wagner was our best line tonight by a landslide for playing a full 60 minutes. Stickland should be a point per game player, and not a minus with 17 minutes of penalties. I think there are alot of vets that could step up their game and I am happy that the kids, that are putting in a better effort are being rewarded with PP and PK time. IMO, a much better coached team than the last guy.

speedyfan3
10-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I would agree that they Vause and Wagner play hard every night, not so with Peddle and his game last night again was not that great. The top two lines were by far the most productive lines last night from what I saw. Effort is one thing, and hockey knowledge is another. Some players can run around like chickens with their heads cut off and look like they are giving a lot of effort but getting not a lot done, others looks like dont put as much effort in and accomplish way more. that is more dependant on knowledge and experience in my mind. Coaching, IMO, is better, but leaving the goalie in that long was a poor decision, and I feel that our game was much better when the vets were in the PP and PK situations. The play intensified and are speed increased. As for Stickland, given the PP opportunity, like he should be, it is my bet he would be atleast a point per game player. He is not afraid to get physical, hitting and fighting and will get in front of a puck, as will Wagner and a few others, but not many will. For a small guys he fills a large physical presence, which I feel we need more of.

Flathead
10-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I would agree that they Vause and Wagner play hard every night, not so with Peddle and his game last night again was not that great. The top two lines were by far the most productive lines last night from what I saw. Effort is one thing, and hockey knowledge is another. Some players can run around like chickens with their heads cut off and look like they are giving a lot of effort but getting not a lot done, others looks like dont put as much effort in and accomplish way more. that is more dependant on knowledge and experience in my mind. Coaching, IMO, is better, but leaving the goalie in that long was a poor decision, and I feel that our game was much better when the vets were in the PP and PK situations. The play intensified and are speed increased. As for Stickland, given the PP opportunity, like he should be, it is my bet he would be atleast a point per game player. He is not afraid to get physical, hitting and fighting and will get in front of a puck, as will Wagner and a few others, but not many will. For a small guys he fills a large physical presence, which I feel we need more of.

All very good points, good post.

dubfan
10-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Some good points Speedy. I agree and dont know why Stickland isnt out more, especially PP and PK. Guys that played in those roles last year with great success are not. Good point on playing effectively, the forcheck played now, has one player forcing/directing the play to one side, when you see the other wingers not going in it's cause they have to peel off to a position. The team still needs more puck movement on 5/5 and especially PP and some hold on to puck too long, two centers in particular. These are points I am sure the coaches address, they are very experienced hockey people. I think Wagner started off not as strong yesterday but when played with Dowling and Wudrick there was some instant chemistry, good combo of skills for an effective line.

It was sure an exciting fun game, great entertainment, you will never/hardly ever get that action paying $100 at an NHL game.

Toswammi
10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Speaking of forwards. Who here would have guessed that Hoban and Wagner would be point-per-game players at this point in the season?

CrazyGeorge
10-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm seeing other teams in our division making moves at various positions. Most recentlly, Regina dropping Poulton and picking up Gustafsson. I think that's a strong move for them. I'm curious if Swift will be making any moves or are we happy where we are?

Toswammi
10-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Realistically thinking here. With Brandon and Saskatoon being who they are, would it not make more sense to try and set up for a good run in a year or two, and use todays older vets as trade bait to achieve that?