PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on the Broncos

Darth Menace
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey, I just moved close to Swift Current from London, Ontario (London Knights and Toronto Maple Leafs fan) Anyways, yes im still a knights and maple leafs fan, but also want to enjoy some WHL hockey out here. I've been listening to the Broncos game on 94.1 recently, but it's hard to follow what I know nothing of. Can anyone help me out as to what kind of team the Broncos have, what their strengths/weaknesses are, who their star players are? How does the WHL work since the teams are so frikkin' far apart? Does each division play each other a tonne of times or are there some super long road trips across all 3 provinces (and states)
Thanks in advance

Flathead
10-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey, I just moved close to Swift Current from London, Ontario (London Knights and Toronto Maple Leafs fan) Anyways, yes im still a knights and maple leafs fan, but also want to enjoy some WHL hockey out here. I've been listening to the Broncos game on 94.1 recently, but it's hard to follow what I know nothing of. Can anyone help me out as to what kind of team the Broncos have, what their strengths/weaknesses are, who their star players are? How does the WHL work since the teams are so frikkin' far apart? Does each division play each other a tonne of times or are there some super long road trips across all 3 provinces (and states)
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the area. Hopefully you can make it to the rink for a few games. Swift plays the majority of their games against Eastern Conference teams. They rotate each year with the Western Conference, one year they will make a road trip through the BC Division and the next year through the US Division. And those teams will play here once a year rotating as well.
This year is the first year for former Dallas Star assistant Mark Lamb as our head coach. Dowling, Eakin, Wudrick, Tassone(injured), Claffey, Doyle are a few of the vets that are expected to lead the way. Scarlett is probally one of the best 16 year old dmen i've seen in a long time. The team has a nice mix of youth, and vets and are very entertaining to watch, they definetly never quit and have pulled out some nice come from behind wins this year.

Toswammi
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Generally our team is young, and will make mistakes. With that said when they play our style of hockey it is exciting, because we are build around skating. With all of that said, I can go over the type of team we have all day. The best way for you to find out what it is like is to go to a game. If you know of someone in town with an old ticket, grab it and come to a weekday game (it will cost you a couple of bucks at the door to exchange it)

trucker
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Ya welcome here! The Broncos are the pride of our city and are a hard working fast skating and generally young team. Games are exciting as we fans support our team. We are an offense minded team meaning games are generally high scoring. We have N.H.L. Draft picks and play together as a team very well as we roll through all four lines. Come down to the I-Plex and check it out, (maybe you could change from cheering for the leafs to the Oilers? Lol)

Darth Menace
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Ya welcome here! The Broncos are the pride of our city and are a hard working fast skating and generally young team. Games are exciting as we fans support our team. We are an offense minded team meaning games are generally high scoring. We have N.H.L. Draft picks and play together as a team very well as we roll through all four lines. Come down to the I-Plex and check it out, (maybe you could change from cheering for the leafs to the Oilers? Lol)

I will be heading to a game some time. I have to find a Broncos fan to go with first. And no go to switch to the Leafs. Once a fan of a hockey team, always a fan of a hockey team. Leafs and Knights for life.:)

Toswammi
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I will be heading to a game some time. I have to find a Broncos fan to go with first. And no go to switch to the Leafs. Once a fan of a hockey team, always a fan of a hockey team. Leafs and Knights for life.:)

meh, i am happy with the Broncos falling in number three there if it means another fan at the rink.

Toswammi
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Oilers???? :burningma

Actually, I don't know what is worse, Oilers or the Leafs :P
Go Flames vci11

Darth Menace
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
on another note are the world juniors games tickets still available in regina/sasktoon or are they sold out long ago?

2,5,andagame
10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Tickets are available:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_link=tm_header_search&q=2010+IIHF+World+Junior+Championship+&search.x=35&search.y=14

eighty
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Tomorrow they are announcing the pre-tourny teams playing at the i-plex.

Darth Menace
10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Do the Broncos games get broadcasted on TV? I assume if they do it's on Shaw, which we don't have in my area anyways..only expressvu.

Toswammi
10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Do the Broncos games get broadcasted on TV? I assume if they do it's on Shaw, which we don't have in my area anyways..only expressvu.

No, IMO we are too small market for big tv stations/companies to really care about us.
Other other than whl webtv streamed on your tv...you wont get much on your tv