PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Bruins 1 OT S/O - Oct 12 2009

dondo
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I was only able to listen to this one, so from my perspective it was a super boring game. Sounded like Scheidl can fight though, which is a positive. Only emotion in the game seemed to come out in the third, but its clear that Mark Habschied has his boys playing better as a team already and they could be come quite a threat later in the season. Bruins did a good job sticking up for their players it seemed as the Giants gave more checks from behind than I like to see. Not seeing how they came about, ( a player turning their back as they are being hit to draw the penalty is about the stupidest most dangerous act I am seeing regularly and I for one would like to see players who deliberately put themselves into dangerous positions be tagged for unsportsmanlike or something -- its become epidemic in my mind) so I can't determine whether or not they were soft calls or dangerous over-enthusiasm. I suspect a bit of both as it usually turns out being.

Giants Nip Bruins
Vancouver 2 Chilliwack 1 OT S/O

Don Robinson

I think both teams took their turkey a bit seriously yesterday as they came out pretty sluggish in the game. Not the most scintillating hockey this afternoon, as the boys played to a 1-1 game before going to OT and then a shootout to decide the game. After playing a scoreless first in which they traded penalties, the Giants got on the board first scoring very early in the second at the tail-end of a carry-over PP. The Bruins managed to tie the game in the third on a PP of their own sending the game to OT. The only real emotion in the game came from a fight early in the third. The Giants scored twice in the shootout to take the two points.

The Bruins only managed 1 shot on net in the opening frame while the Giants got 9 on Mark Friesen. The Giants were playing their third game in four days and were probably a bit fatigued. The teams played the first to 0-0 draw. Chilliwack took the majority of penalties, but the Giants just couldn’t cash in on their PP chances in the opening frame.

The Giants found the net at the very end of a PP which carried over from the end of the first period. Brendan Gallagher scored his fourth of the season, third of the weekend, 26 seconds into the middle frame. Craig Cunningham set him up off of a pass from Neil Manning. Gallagher found the twine with a nice shot which beat Friesen, putting the visitors up 1-0. The Bruins out-shot the Giants in the period by a tally of 12-10, but it was the Vancouver squad with the only goal.

The intensity picked up in third as the teams had a bit of a parade to the penalty box. Early on Lane Scheidl clipped a Bruin player from behind and was taken to task for it by Shayne Neigum. Scheidl not only held his own, but ended up getting the take-down for a slim victory. That gave the Bruins a bit of a lift and they scored off of a similar penalty taken by Giants Captain, Lance Bouma, a few minutes later. Kevin Sundher found the back of the net off of a nice feed from Ryan Howse. The teams traded PP chances for the rest of the period to no avail and a late delay of game penalty on the Bruins carried over into OT. The Giants, despite out-shooting the Bruins badly in OT, could not get the puck past Friesen four on four. The game went to a shootout where James Henry and Craig Cunningham both scored for the Giants to get the visitors the victory. Neither of the Bruins shooters found the back of the net.

The Giants out shot the Bruins 35 –29 mostly due to their shot totals in the OT period. The Giants were 1 for 5 on the PP, while the Bruins went 1 for 6. There were more than a few squandered chances on both sides of the puck. Neither goaltender had to be good as the teams padded their shot stats, but did not engineer many really dangerous forays. It was a fairly boring game for the majority of the time and not exactly what you’d call either team’s best hockey. The Giants next tilt with be on Friday, taking on PG at the Coliseum. The puck drops at the usual 7:30pm Friday start.

Three Stars

1. Mark Friesen
2. Jamie Tucker
3. Kevin Sundher

BruinsFan19
10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
LOL... interesting to read a game recap from someone who wasn't at the game!

dondo
10-14-2009, 12:56 AM
we do what we can ;) ... when it happens if you'd like to add how you saw the game I'd appreciate BF19 .. that goes for anyone who disagrees or has more or better info than I do -- together we get a better picture of how the game felt and went.

which in the end is the object of the exercise

so was I close? :p