PDA

View Full Version : Rebels fall to Smith

hockey4
10-20-2009, 11:07 PM
In what can only be described as "getting screwed", the Hitmen ride a mental lapse by referee smith on the way to a 6-3 win.

a hit from behind on Cowen goes uncalled. Deagle jumps in to his defense, only to be given a phantom double minor (deserved 2 minutes). Wallin cant believe it, and gets a bench minor. So at the end of it all, Red Deer ends up with 6 minutes, and Calgary scores twice.

just brutal. The team plays a good game overall, a game they could have potentially won, only to have it taken away by the stripes.

Red celtic
10-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Hope the team sends the game tape to the league so they sent this clown down to AJHL. No wait I don't want him doing games in that league either.

Rebel~66
10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Whining about refereeing isn't something I like to do but tough not to after that display by Smith. It was really pathetic. You can't even say that he didn't see the incident as he was looking right at it. Blatant hit from behind not called. No wonder Deagle went after him.

Then Smith gets all "small man syndrome" on us and slaps Wallin with an extra two for disagreeing, rightly so. He probably verbalized a little much but, again, rightly so.

That's the worst officiating mistake that affected a game since Vetter's infamous waving off of Colin Fraser's last minute goal against those same Hitmen. Vetter didn't ref in Red Deer for a long time after that faux pas. Although not on the same scale as that, hopefully we don't see Smith for a while either.

That had the potential to be a really good hockey game until Smith stepped all over it.

What a shame.

tiny
10-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I am another who is very reluctant to complain about officiating when the team I support loses BUT I will make an exception. The way Pat Smith handled the situation in the second period was anything but what should be expected from an experienced official. It was almost like he was embarrassed about not making a call that should have been obvious and then compounded it by making an example of those that point out the incompetence. When I officiated in different sports, the best advice I ever received was to avoid having “rabbit ears and paper thin skin”. Pat Smith had both last night. To give Deagle a double minor and then give Wallin a penalty for slamming the door after Smith had skated to the opposite blue line was petty and vindictive. His calls in the remainder of the game did not improve much either. I hope this is not an indication of his usual competency in other buildings.

SectionNDeserter
10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
I always expect the officiating to turn a blind eye to the 3 or 4 pick plays that the Hitmen try to run every game (though oddly they did catch Broda one one of them for some reason tonight), but sending a player face-first into the boards like that is one that you HAVE to call every time. If you are paid to do any sort of a job, and you don't do it properly, you have to expect that there is going to be somebody who will be unhappy with you--and you should have a little thicker skin about it. One has to wonder how different of a game we would have watched, had the Hitmen received what would have been at the very least a 4 minute penalty that they deserved, rather than the Rebels being shorthanded for 6 minutes (4 of it 5-3).

hockey4
10-21-2009, 11:17 AM
For myself, that was the most frustrating part. Being that he took a missed call, and turned it into a crippling scenario that ultimately decided the game.

At the end of the day, missing the call is one thing, it happens, but how he handled it was embarrassing to the league and hockey fans.

keep it up boys, nothing wrong with how you are playing

SectionNDeserter
10-21-2009, 02:06 PM
So now assuming Bell is out, we have 4 healthy defensemen.... When are we making a deal for another defenseman?

rdreb
10-21-2009, 04:15 PM
for 2 d-men

SectionNDeserter
10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Ideally I think we should have 7 defensemen, so a few of these guys can come along slower, and in the event of an injury. We can use one of the Deagles back there until our injured defensemen return, but we are in serious need of a #4/5 defenseman.