Allin44
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
strange..

wheaties89
10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
good depth move. need some solid 3rd liners right now

Joe Hallenback
10-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Depth move considering we are without 3 forwards, Ciarelli,Depape and Stone for about month or so

Brandonite
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Depth move considering we are without 3 forwards, Ciarelli,Depape and Stone for about month or so

I have yet to see any type of scoring flare from Paul Ciarelli. Between him, Depape & Van De Velde they have a combined 6 goals dating back to the start of last season. Those guys are not counted on what so ever to score goals anyways right now. Next season will be a totally different story for Depape especially. The only guy seriously missing on the offence side is Stone. Depape is a rookie who I seriously consider highly over-rated but still is just a rookie and is not expected to put up any more than 5-10 goals this year. Ciarelli has only scored 6 goals in 76 career games with Brandon...hardly a scoring threat. Van De Velde has 0 goals in 12 games and 4 goals in 52 games last year...again, not your typical scoring machine!

sbtatter
10-28-2009, 09:05 AM
If we're to follow the Burke blue print, we need 6 scoring forwards, 6 plumbers. Well, we should have the forwards, Schenn, Glennie, Calvert, Rajala, Lewadniuk, Fehr and Stone. (Only problem is Fehr struggles against faster teams in the playoffs).
Our bottom 6 are a real issue if we want them playing rough, tough, defensive hockey.
Guys who I believe can play this bottom 6 type of hockey, Ciarelli, Ferland, Maybe's, King, Sinatynski
Guys who can't, Walker, depape, Hall, Hale (He can't catch a guy to hit him, and he's not an imposing fighter).
There's no doubt that our top 6 forwards have to play better, but I believe we are really lacking in the bottom 6, too many guys trying to play as a skilled guy rather than accepting and capable of playing a bruising support role.
On defence we have a mixed bag, Robak who is starting to finish a check (yay!), Urbom who has more to give, Bestland who is a real spark but is way to erratic and coughs the puck up too much (but at least he shows some spirit and hits), Melnychuk who could be another Aulie but still switches off at key moments, (just start hitting ppl Brodie!), Schneider who has been a revelation, Miller who is our best hitter and still learning how to make a breakout pass, Erdhardt who has great size but oh so slow.
I think we need 4 grinding type forwards, 1 offensive d-man and 1 Chad Erb/Ben Wright type d-man.
This isn't a pop at any individual players, more so at the architect of the team. Once we were awarded the MC we should have hired a coach (a Brad Berry/Marty Murray type) and they could have sculpted the 08/09 team into a 09/10 contender. Instead we tried to compete in 08/09 and it's really weakened our MC team.
I think we're a decent team who could win a couple rounds again, but we're no powerhouse.

The Wheatiemaniac
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
If we're to follow the Burke blue print, we need 6 scoring forwards, 6 plumbers. Well, we should have the forwards, Schenn, Glennie, Calvert, Rajala, Lewadniuk, Fehr and Stone. (Only problem is Fehr struggles against faster teams in the playoffs).
Our bottom 6 are a real issue if we want them playing rough, tough, defensive hockey.
Guys who I believe can play this bottom 6 type of hockey, Ciarelli, Ferland, Maybe's, King, Sinatynski
Guys who can't, Walker, depape, Hall, Hale (He can't catch a guy to hit him, and he's not an imposing fighter).
There's no doubt that our top 6 forwards have to play better, but I believe we are really lacking in the bottom 6, too many guys trying to play as a skilled guy rather than accepting and capable of playing a bruising support role.
On defence we have a mixed bag, Robak who is starting to finish a check (yay!), Urbom who has more to give, Bestland who is a real spark but is way to erratic and coughs the puck up too much (but at least he shows some spirit and hits), Melnychuk who could be another Aulie but still switches off at key moments, (just start hitting ppl Brodie!), Schneider who has been a revelation, Miller who is our best hitter and still learning how to make a breakout pass, Erdhardt who has great size but oh so slow.
I think we need 4 grinding type forwards, 1 offensive d-man and 1 Chad Erb/Ben Wright type d-man.
This isn't a pop at any individual players, more so at the architect of the team. Once we were awarded the MC we should have hired a coach (a Brad Berry/Marty Murray type) and they could have sculpted the 08/09 team into a 09/10 contender. Instead we tried to compete in 08/09 and it's really weakened our MC team.
I think we're a decent team who could win a couple rounds again, but we're no powerhouse.

Yes, we still need to fill a few holes. Most importantly, we need 3rd line scoring. Mark Stone will provide that when he gets back. I'm hoping Ferland gets to play with him. That will help both of them because Ferland is very tough and will make guys skate with their head on a swivel when Stone is out there. Van d Velde will probably end up on the 4th line by the time deals are made to bring in top end guys.