PDA

View Full Version : Hockey and Education

WHL Rules
04-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a question about the players that are still attending High school. I don't know why but this has bothered me for some time now, so I thought I just ask the well informed posters here. http://www.urban75.net/ubb/redface.gif

I read somewhere that the Hitmen players can only take 2 courses due to their hockey schedule. Do other teams have a similar rule?

I know most players transfer back to their "home" High schools once they've finished their hockey season, but some don't. Are the teams paying the billets for that extra month or two or have the players to pay for it?

Tinner
04-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Each team has a program that meets their demands. In Red Deer, the team has an educational consultant who tends to those demands. He is responsible to make sure the players are getting the core learning as well as what they want as optional programs.

As far as I am aware of, this system has worked rather well, knowing full well that it takes more than a school year to complete a school year. Talking to him, it takes about 5 months to complete a trimester if your playing with the Rebels.

Scout
04-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Swift Current has pretty well the same program as Red Deer. They have an education consultant who caters to the players. If they are on the road they are given their assignments well in advance to have completed when they return so they don't fall behind. If they are having difficulty, the consultant will get them a tutor to help guide them.

Scout

Spungy
05-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Great question. i'm sure the billets that have players that decide to stick around are compensated... and if not, billets are like family anyhow so i'm sure most don't mind

As far as i know our players in high school attend full classes and only miss exactly what is necessary no more. i bet they have some kinda consultant as well

education is definately a priority in the WHL