PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Win Goes To Savage

Knuckle Chucker
04-29-2005, 10:01 PM
This idiot has potentially destroyed this series. A non-call on a hooking penalty which led to the go-ahead goal is criminal at this point in the playoffs. Not one power play for PA after the 1st period. He makes a mystery call by moving the faceoff outside the Brandon zone and then calls a penalty on Anholt. Seconds tick off the clock on the last icing and he refuses to put them back. I am usually the first one to say a ref doesn't loose you the game but in this case Savage is the reason Brandon won the game. Yes Plante played excellent and made some huge saves but Brandon's 4th goal should not have counted and PA would have been on the powerplay as well. I understand a ref will put the whistle away in a tight playoff game but the exception to the rule is a penalty that results in a scoring chance.

Savage is an idiot and should never be allowed to ref again :burningma

Joe Hallenback
04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Hearing a game called by your home town radio guys is one thing and seeing it live is another.

Its a no win situation from the refing stand point. If he makes that hooking call and the goal doesnt count Brandon Fans would be insanely upset. As for the play itself its a judgement call by the ref and as a Brandon fan I am thankful he made it in our favor. To tell you the truth it could have gone either way.

Ok game by the Wheaties who jumped out to a nice lead and sorta slacked off. PA really worked its butt off to get back into the game and I can sympathsize with PA fans on the Non call. :(

BWK
04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I am not as charitable as you are Joe. I was a brutal non-call, but just one of a series of brutal non-calls.

Right fron the get-go Savage put the whistle away. Fehr had a stick broken across his arm in the first and I lost track of how many times Later got high-sticked in the head. Reeves was run into the boards from behind, and that is just what he missed against Brandon.

It's just too bad that this is as good as the WHL gets. I am all for letting the players decide the game but that was a call that had to be made.

I do disagee with knuckle chucker though. I don't think the win is tainted. The Wheat Kings did nothing wrong tonight. The ref (and linesmen) are the ones that should hang their heads in shame for this game, not the Brandon Wheat Kings.

BWK
04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
well said we cant be upset with the wheaties they did enough to win . 2 questions wheatie fans .... may got called for a hook on a konserada breakaway was it.. i listened on the radio and the announcer said konserada overskated the puck and may didnt hook..and how was zyluniuk? that was amazingly ballsy to give him all that playing time

I honestly don't remember the hook on Konsorada so someone else can answer that but Zyluniuk was OK. A little soft but not bad and he didn't hurt the team. His first shift he could have laid into and cranked one of the Raiders but decided to ease off a floated by (obviously hasn't played in this series before :) ) I would have brought in Yeo or even Cann to play defense before I gave a guy his first game of the season in game 5 of the semi-finals.

Joe Hallenback
04-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Ya But what are you gonna do? Hopefully the reffing gets better and they let the teams decide it.

I thought Zylunik was kinda soft but he does move the puck well and I guess thats why they went with him over Yeo or Cann.

Knuckle Chucker
04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
I am not as charitable as you are Joe. I was a brutal non-call, but just one of a series of brutal non-calls.

Right fron the get-go Savage put the whistle away. Fehr had a stick broken across his arm in the first and I lost track of how many times Later got high-sticked in the head. Reeves was run into the boards from behind, and that is just what he missed against Brandon.

It's just too bad that this is as good as the WHL gets. I am all for letting the players decide the game but that was a call that had to be made.

I do disagee with knuckle chucker though. I don't think the win is tainted. The Wheat Kings did nothing wrong tonight. The ref (and linesmen) are the ones that should hang their heads in shame for this game, not the Brandon Wheat Kings.

I agree with you BWK. It was not the wheatkings fault that a penalty should have been called. A win is a win. It is tainted in that anyone who knows hockey knows that that non-call gives the WHL a huge black eye and the wheaties the win. Savage is an embarassment to the league and the fact that he is one of their senior officials makes the league look bush. Nothing the Raiders can do about it now except win game 6 & 7.

Knuckle Chucker
04-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Hearing a game called by your home town radio guys is one thing and seeing it live is another.

Its a no win situation from the refing stand point. If he makes that hooking call and the goal doesnt count Brandon Fans would be insanely upset. As for the play itself its a judgement call by the ref and as a Brandon fan I am thankful he made it in our favor. To tell you the truth it could have gone either way.

Ok game by the Wheaties who jumped out to a nice lead and sorta slacked off. PA really worked its butt off to get back into the game and I can sympathsize with PA fans on the Non call. :(

Joe I may not have been at the game but I am not blind. I taped the highlights and have watched the play about 15 times. It was a hooking penalty plain and simple which ended up in a scoring chance. Any ref at any level knows that call MUST be made. The league knows that call must be made. It was not made....Fehr scores a goal that changed the game. The ref should not give a **** if the Brandon fans would have been mad. His non-call may have cost the Raiders the series. He has made the WHL look bush-league. I just hope the Raiders use this to get pissed off and extremely focused on winning game 6 & 7.

Joe Hallenback
04-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I hear ya man. The call should have been made and even as big a homer that I am it still should have been made. Hear's hoping the league reviews the game and disciplines the ref.

Knuckle Chucker
04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I hear ya man. The call should have been made and even as big a homer that I am it still should have been made. Hear's hoping the league reviews the game and disciplines the ref.

Joe, I faxed off a letter to the head of officiating. Made me feel better but I know nothing can be done as this type of thing in an unfortunate part of the game. I hope the ref's let the 2 teams decide the winner in games 6 & 7.

Tinner
05-01-2005, 10:34 AM
i think it is "closed minded" to believe that the refs are responsible for a teams performance at this time of year. Certainly they make mistakes, but for the most part, they are working these games because they are or have been rated as the best in the league. That could be the problem or the question the WHL should be asking itself............are we falling behind in recruiting and training refs?

I'm neither pro Brandon or PA, but a team that has won the most games in a series, most likely deserves that outcome. Teams get breaks because they earn them.

Knuckle Chucker
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
i think it is "closed minded" to believe that the refs are responsible for a teams performance at this time of year. Certainly they make mistakes, but for the most part, they are working these games because they are or have been rated as the best in the league. That could be the problem or the question the WHL should be asking itself............are we falling behind in recruiting and training refs?

I'm neither pro Brandon or PA, but a team that has won the most games in a series, most likely deserves that outcome. Teams get breaks because they earn them.

Did you actually see the game or the highlight of the play. Get off your highhorse buddy. No one said that the refs are responsible for a teams performance. He blew one perticular call that may have cost the Raiders the game. This mistake has the Raiders going home down 3-2 when they could have been up 3-2. PA had just scored the game tieing goal and had MO on their side and then the blown calls of all blown calls happens. Who knows, maybe he makes the right call and Fehr doesn't score the go-ahead goal but the wheaties score a legitimate goal later in the period to win the game. This I have no problem with as it is the players deciding the game not Savage. Unfortunatly this is not how it happened. Savage did not call the blantant hook which resulted in a clear-cut breakaway which resulted in Brandon winning the game.

Wildeyes
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
You know what tho Savage is a Great ref. Refs have bad games just like players do. Its just to bad he had his bad game that night. He is still on of the best in Canada

Knuckle Chucker
05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
You know what tho Savage is a Great ref. Refs have bad games just like players do. Its just to bad he had his bad game that night. He is still on of the best in Canada

SAVAGE SUCKS. If he is on of the best in Canada then we better start importing refs from a different country. An off game for Savage is when he actually calls a good game. Savage is the atypical "centre of attention" ref that pisses fans off with his arrogance (sp?).

I like Herman as a ref (but he did not call a great game in game 6) as he usually lets the players decide the game.

Tinner
05-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey Knuckler, it seems to me that if somebody doesn't agree with you or has an opinion or view different than yours, its or they are wrong. Nobody is on a highhorse and everyone has a right to an opinion. ;)

Knuckle Chucker
05-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey Knuckler, it seems to me that if somebody doesn't agree with you or has an opinion or view different than yours, its or they are wrong. Nobody is on a highhorse and everyone has a right to an opinion. ;)

True. I guess it is just that my opinions are right and yours are wrong. ;)
Isn't that what debate is all about. I actually saw the play I was desputing. That is why I feel so strongly about it.

Enough of this off to game 7.

prolabxx
05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
he must of heard you crying because he is letting the wheaties play dirty tonigth

pretty sad
is this how the wheaties made it far all this dirty crap
:confused: