PDA

View Full Version : Penner Finally Traded

clockwise
11-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Raiders Deal Penner to Chilliwack

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders have traded the Western Hockey League playing rights of 18 year-old forward Cole Penner to the Chilliwack Bruins. In return the Raiders receive the Bruins’ 12th round selection in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

Penner appeared in 17 games with the Raiders from 2007-09 with one goal, one assist and 56 minutes in penalties.

I'm Surprised that we even got a draft pick for him. Bottle of Aspirin would have been better, being that he was a giant pain in the ass. haha

Dwight Schrute
11-11-2009, 01:00 AM
4th overall for a 12th rounder which I doubt even gets used lol

Dwight Schrute
11-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I bet being traded for essentially less then a bag of pucks may wound his pride. Lol
Is this more insulting then a flat out release ?

Arthur Fonzerelli
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
IF he reports will he perform the same stunts for Bruins coach Marc Habscheid?

domino
11-11-2009, 12:41 PM
what did he tell his buddies when he came home for the last month.I guess never having played a high level of hockey yourselves you wouldnt know what being a buddy is all about.Lets hope Bruno can show some class

westbeach55
11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
great move, its time to move on not just a raider problem can't stick wherever he goes. suprised we even got a 12 round for him

SaskHockeyFan
11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess this means the end of Domino posting on here as I believe most of his/her contribution here was to try and tell us all how Cole never got a real chance and Bruno was trying to destroy him. I think all of us got tired of the Penner talk quite a while ago and this should end it for good now. Trading Cole Penner for a 12th round pick, I believe is the funniest thing Bruno has done as GM. I mean that as a compliment to Bruno and you won't hear that from me very often. Domino, thanks for coming out.

Dwight Schrute
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Wonder how it feels to be possibly the biggest bust in the whl bantam draft. Who was a bigger bust ?

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
For the Blades also a 1st round pick defencemen Mitch Berg might be a bust too but maybe not as big as Cole Penner. We will see if Penner can be straightened out. I don't really know if it is going to happen though.

dagley
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Sanfred King was a pretty big bust here. We could have had Tyler Myers, Reddington, Bouma to name a few. I know it's hard to pick prospects at such a young age, but...damn.

witness
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
The draft is, and always will be, a bit of a crap shoot. Every team has had their share of players that don't pan out. That 2006 draft was tough tons of talent. Doesn't it kill you to know PA could have had Brayden Schenn, Evander Kane, Ashton Carter, or Stephan Elliot?
The Pats selected Brett Miller fourteenth over all. He was traded to Red Deer last year and couldn't make their squad either. But the Pats did have success in the later rounds. Mitchell (2nd), Pym (4th), Sparrow (7th), Mulder (8th) and Ketlo (10th). All current Pat players, which makes the loss of a first rounder a little easier to swallow.

Bocephus
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
In 2002 the Hurricanes drafted their future with picks 8 and 13th overall.
Michael Kaye 8th overall. 4WHL Seasons totalling 20 goals 17 assists for a whopping 37 points!
Kenny Petkau 13th Overall. Kenny gave us 130 games and a whopping 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points!
That, folks, is how it goes when you are the Canes. No worries though as we never gave the 46th pick a chance and he burned us as a member of the Chiefs two seasons ago. His name was Judd Blackwater.

Dwight Schrute
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
yeah but how many top 5 picks ? top 5 you should get a player at least. even a 4th liner...... not a star but a player at least

Bocephus
11-13-2009, 03:47 PM
yeah but how many top 5 picks ? top 5 you should get a player at least. even a 4th liner...... not a star but a player at least
You're correct. How about Ryan Kerr as the number one overall pick yet can't find a roster spot as a 20.
Makes a guy wonder about scouting and player development.
http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2004.html

Dwight Schrute
11-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Kerr played 4 years skatings his issue rule changes didn't favour him like palazzo also

SectionNDeserter
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Jonathan Toews is by far the worst WHL player taken first overall that I have ever seen. ;)

domino
11-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Bruno shows his real colors in his news article . What other GM would carve a player like he did in a paper that is picked up by Penners hometown paper.I told you guys it wouldnt take long for Bruno to show his true colors. Lets be clear about something,Penner does have issues and yes he didnt come to camp in shape but if you drafted a kid 4th overall and there were maturity issues wouldnt you try everything possible to try and get his head straight and get him playing for you. Embarassing kids is no way to earn respect and is old school thinking,sorry Raiders fans but it will get worse before it gets better.

Dwight Schrute
11-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Jonathan Toews is by far the worst WHL player taken first overall that I have ever seen. ;)

he never said he would play whl. and he is a star !

Dwight Schrute
11-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Raiders trade 'first-round bust'
Penner dealt to Chilliwack for 12th-round draft pick
PRINCE ALBERT, SASK.
JOHN MACNEIL
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

The Prince Albert Raiders have finally severed ties with enigmatic forward Cole Penner, the fourth overall pick in the 2006 WHL bantam draft.

On the eve of Remembrance Day, the Raiders announced Tuesday night that they have traded Penner to the Chilliwack Bruins in exchange for a 12th-round pick in the 2010 draft.

“He was a first-round bust,” said Raiders coach and general manager Bruno Campese, who joined the organization after Penner was drafted.

“It’s time to move on and free up a spot on our (50-man protected) list.”

Penner, an 18-year-old forward from Medicine Hat, Alta., has been inactive for most of his junior career. He appeared in just 17 games with the Raiders through last season and didn’t show up for training camp this year.

He played junior A in Alberta last season with the Brooks Bandits, and briefly sampled the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League this fall before returning home – again.

Players with such baggage don’t generate much trade value, as the Penner deal between the Raiders and Bruins would attest. There’s little substance to a 12th-round pick, considering most teams pass at that point in the draft.

“Basically, that is just giving something away,” Campese said. “There was very little, if any, interest in him.”

But there was enough interest from Marc Habscheid, the new coach and general manager in Chilliwack, to swing a trade.

“It’s another chance for (Penner),” Campese said. “They were willing to take a gamble on him. He hasn’t played in quite some time.”

Campese believes that the Bruins want Penner to join the nearby Merritt Centennials and potentially work his way up to Chilliwack. The Centennials play in the BCHL and they own Penner’s junior A rights.

Penner, who turns 19 in January, said Wednesday that Chilliwack hadn’t contacted him.

“Right now, I have no idea what’s going on,” he said. “I haven’t spoken with (the Bruins) yet. I’ve just got to wait.

“I’m working right now.”

He declined to comment further.

domino
11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
are you high, these are quotes directly from Bruno and his big mouth and believe me other players will think twice before they play for him.Not doing the organization any good by slamming teens, he could have taken the high road and hats off to the team they are doing a wonderful job with the sub par coaching they have right now. Dont care who you are but when a suppose adult talks about an inmature kid it makes him look like the one with baggage and a lack of maturity.

domino
11-14-2009, 01:12 PM
also of mention that the coach in Brooks was fired so there were other problems there besides Penner

westbeach55
11-14-2009, 02:43 PM
sub par coaching are we not supposed to be in dead last according to the whl sports brodcasters. why don't you call in to the raider radio show or email your questions to bruno to let him defend himself instead of slamming him on a public forum. everyone in pa knows penner is a bust so whats the big deal in bruno saying it. I'm sure penner himself knows he's a bust, if he was having some many problems with bruno why didn't he come out and ask for a trade publicly im sure there would have been lots of teams at the time going to make an offer and if he didn't want to play hockey then fair enough just come out and say that. I guess you can go on the chilliwack board now and cheer for penner. i guess your in the minority sticking up for penner you might be the only person. and i don't think bruno is going anywhere soon as the raiders are playing the best hockey they have in years

are you high, these are quotes directly from Bruno and his big mouth and believe me other players will think twice before they play for him.Not doing the organization any good by slamming teens, he could have taken the high road and hats off to the team they are doing a wonderful job with the sub par coaching they have right now. Dont care who you are but when a suppose adult talks about an inmature kid it makes him look like the one with baggage and a lack of maturity.

Dwight Schrute
11-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Is penner. Bust ? Yes did losing a 4th overall pick hurt this franchise ? Yes
While I think at time bruno is a bit of a control freak and not good at developing prospects. I also think he tries to get the most out of vets and play an entertaining style (except for the almost complete lack of physical play and scraps)
What else was there to do with penner ? Maybe if cameron crosschecked his teeth in like he did to dotan it would smarten him up.
Since being drafted penner has shown nothing no improvement can't stick anywhere
The only notable thing he has done or accomplished is be drafted. "Bust" its completely accurate. And your completely out to lunch on this domino

patsdude114
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
haha being a pats fan this is quite a humorous theard to read.... Penner is a bust the is no questioning that.... and this dude defending this kid wow so surprising lol it is prob penner himself lmao

There have been tons of 1st round busts in the WHL & NHL for that matter.... As a pats fan the biggest bust for a 1st rounder who played for the Pats is Josh Holden who was 12th overall to Vancouver & played 30 NHL games registering 14 pts... a far cry from a player who in the WHL had 246 games 167 goals 185 assists for 352 pts and played for Canada at the world juniors he was predicted to be the future in Vancouver but is a bust.

Being a 1st round bust is nothing new yes Penner is a bust PA has moved on and put that selection behind them, & seems like the fans have as well except for 1 guy (who i think is Penner himself lmao which i know im prob wrong but still funny)

Dwight Schrute
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
haha being a pats fan this is quite a humorous theard to read.... Penner is a bust the is no questioning that.... and this dude defending this kid wow so surprising lol it is prob penner himself lmao

There have been tons of 1st round busts in the WHL & NHL for that matter.... As a pats fan the biggest bust for a 1st rounder who played for the Pats is Josh Holden who was 12th overall to Vancouver & played 30 NHL games registering 14 pts... a far cry from a player who in the WHL had 246 games 167 goals 185 assists for 352 pts and played for Canada at the world juniors he was predicted to be the future in Vancouver but is a bust.

Being a 1st round bust is nothing new yes Penner is a bust PA has moved on and put that selection behind them, & seems like the fans have as well except for 1 guy (who i think is Penner himself lmao which i know im prob wrong but still funny)

theres very few top 5 whl picks that are busts in the whl. didnt holden sustain an eye injury after junior ?

SaskHockeyFan
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Dwight ( yes I realize it's not your real name) that is a ridiculous comment!

post delted by poster re the Cameron - Dotan incident. Guess I just have to let old sh*t go.