PDA

View Full Version : Games 23-Ice 2 at Hitmen 7

Hitmen1
11-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I am busy finishing report cards so I will just give you the recap from hitmenhockey.com today. But I will say, if teams get undisciplined against the Hitmen they are going to be in trouble. Once again this year, the Hitmen are using the man advantage to their advantage. The Hitmen scored 3 more power plays goals yesterday vs the Ice which gives them 36 power play goals on the season. The Hitmen power play is clicking at 32.4%.

By Laurence Heinen
hitmenhockey.com (http://www.hitmenhockey.com/index.asp?newsID=331)

CALGARY, AB - Less than 17 hours after losing a road game 3-2 to the Lethbridge Hurricanes, the Calgary Hitmen found themselves down 2-0 to the Kootenay Ice at home on Remembrance Day.

Unwilling to go down without a fight, the Hitmen (17-6-0-0) reeled off seven straight goals to emerge with a 7-2 triumph over the Ice in front of 8,191 fans at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

"After last night’s game, we didn’t exactly play the way we wanted to and we were called out by the coaches,” said forward Brandon Kozun, who tallied a goal and three assists to extend his point-scoring streak to 16 contests. “When you’re winning games, points are going to come. I’ve been working hard and the players I’ve been playing with have been helping out.”

Hitmen coach Mike Williamson confirmed that his players received an earful of advice following Tuesday night’s loss to the ’Canes.

“They heard a lot and it wasn’t just from me,” Williamson said. “Our general manager (Kelly Kisio) talked to them as well and we weren’t happy with the effort.”

Although the Hitmen spotted the Ice an early lead, Williamson was happier with his team’s effort on Wednesday afternoon.

“You don’t want to dig yourself a hole, but our guys came back and responded well,” Williamson said.

Co-captains Ian Schultz and Michael Stone both played well during the bounce-back victory as each recorded a goal and an assist.

“We wanted to respond from last night,” Stone said. “I thought we did a good job of pushing back when they pushed us.”

Kris Foucault, Matt MacKenzie, Misha Fisenko and Cody Sylvester also scored Calgary, while Joel Broda and Justin Kirsh each chipped in with two assists.

For Sylvester, it was his first career goal against Kootenay and his older brother Dustin, who has eight goals and 10 assists in 18 games this season for the Ice.

“It was about time I scored against these guys,” said Cody, noting that 11 family members were on hand to watch the battle of the Sylvester brothers, including their father Larry. “Maybe I’ll rub it in with my brother a little bit.”

Joe Antilla and Brock Montgomery scored for Kootenay (8-12-1-0) as the Ice built up a two-goal lead by the 11:13 mark of the first period before Hitmen goalie Michael Snider shut the door and his teammates responded by reeling off the next seven goals.

“Those were two kind of unlucky bounces there,” said Schultz, who commended Snider for his 32-save performance. “We kind of blame ourselves for that, so we wanted to help him pick that back up. He stole a couple games for us, so we figured we should pull up the socks and win a couple for him. He was rock solid and that’s what we need.”

Starting Kootenay goalie Todd Mathews stopped 11 of 15 shots he faced before being replaced by Nathan Lieuwen at the 7:34 mark of the second period.
Lieuwen made 11 saves in a relief effort.

Hitmen special teams played a major role in the win as well with the Hitmen going 3-for-6 on the power play while the penalty kill was perfect in seven attempts.

**Big Congrats to Misha Fisenko on being named to the Russian squad that will play in Subway Super Series.