PDA

View Full Version : Mestery Traded

Bocephus
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.whl.ca/eric-mestery-heads-back-to-the-tri-city-americans-p138914
Pretty good return for a player most fans disliked.

scrawny69
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
While this trade has left me with less to rant about on here...I am glad to be rid of this guy!!:bounce:applause

Good luck to the Ams...dont really see how Mystery is gonna help shore up their defensive problems:confused:

vci34vci34

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
as the Hurricanes stack up the draft picks and will likely get more when (not if) they deal Sbisa or Ashton.

Mestery will remain a mystery as here was a kid with size, skill, but played with no heart/emotion. Better to let the kids develop. Sure they will make mistakes but at least they play with heart/emotion.

The next 8 days (no games) could prove interesting. Things will happen before the Christmas break, as they will lose Sbisa for the World Juniors and quite possibly the Olympics.

:groovy:
WHEN IN DOUBT: SHOOT THE REF!

moon
11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Well the Americans were the team that had him when he was drafted in the second round so perhaps they feel they know how to get the best out of him.

He wasn't nearly as bad as most fans made him out to be while here but I imagine on a better team like the Americans he will have more success as he won't be relied on to play in spots that he isn't suited for.

Good luck to him and good for Preston to start moving guys out and building for the future.

Bocephus
11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I think after the results of the last few games it is time to restock the cupboards, so to speak, and maximize value for the assets that exist within the organization and at the same time provide ice time for the youngsters on the current roster. So far I have seen very little player development from the hockey staff. Hopefully that changes. I like most of the moves that Preston has made but it isn't wise to continue to live in a fantasyland and think that we have the pieces to contend or that we are only a couple pieces from contending. We just aren't that good and it would make no sense to wallow near mediocrity at the expense of our future.
We have many assets that could fetch several key future pieces and now is decision time.

sbtatter
11-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I think after the results of the last few games it is time to restock the cupboards, so to speak, and maximize value for the assets that exist within the organization and at the same time provide ice time for the youngsters on the current roster. So far I have seen very little player development from the hockey staff. Hopefully that changes. I like most of the moves that Preston has made but it isn't wise to continue to live in a fantasyland and think that we have the pieces to contend or that we are only a couple pieces from contending. We just aren't that good and it would make no sense to wallow near mediocrity at the expense of our future.
We have many assets that could fetch several key future pieces and now is decision time.
Smart thinking. Too many teams bump along at .500, dreaming that they are magically going to start winning in the playoffs. Should instead trade in an asset or 2 to build for the future. We (Bdn) should have done that last year in order to build for the Mem Cup....

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
but it isn't wise to continue to live in a fantasyland and think that we have the pieces to contend or that we are only a couple pieces from contending. We just aren't that good and it would make no sense to wallow near mediocrity at the expense of our future.

I would not try and confuse contending with being competitive each night and I think Preston is looking at being competitive rather than a contender. You are right Bocephus in that we have assets to move and looking at the moves Preston has made thus far he has come out on the plus side on all but one (Valchar). He is stock piling draft picks and it would not be a surprise if he got a 1st rounder plus a player or two for Sbisa and close to the same for Ashton. There is also Bancks and Rowat to consider as well.

Here's a question for you fellow fantasy GM's out there....would you trade for Sbisa knowing you would likely lose him for the World Jrs and the Olympics which do not end until the end of February (not that Switzerland is going to the finals) and then have him come back for the last week of the season and then the playoffs?

Me...yes if I was Brandon!

localguy
11-19-2009, 05:19 PM
in my viewing hasn't really done anything to improve our team since returning. I see him playing average hockey at best, and hogging/turning over the puck often. I think moving all of the underachieving "super stars" to another team, and letting the youngsters have the ice and learn the game at this level is the best we can do right now, (Rowat's injury and time on the ice has sure helped our young goalies). Look at how much better the Ice did last year after moving their top players to Swift. They started to play as a team, and the young guys fed off each other, with no passengers. There is no team game for the Canes right now, and it is a direct result of players thinking they can do it all and are too good for the team they are playing for. I have to also say that I like what Preston has done as a GM, but I certainly don't see what improvements he has made as a coach. Our pp stinks, they never play a 60 minute game, turnovers are brutally high, and no teamwork. I can handle not winning, that isn't the problem, it's the lackluster effort being put forward every night that is really what makes me not want to watch this team (but I still do).

Gamer
11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
in my viewing hasn't really done anything to improve our team since returning. I see him playing average hockey at best, and hogging/turning over the puck often. I think moving all of the underachieving "super stars" to another team, and letting the youngsters have the ice and learn the game at this level is the best we can do right now, (Rowat's injury and time on the ice has sure helped our young goalies). Look at how much better the Ice did last year after moving their top players to Swift. They started to play as a team, and the young guys fed off each other, with no passengers. There is no team game for the Canes right now, and it is a direct result of players thinking they can do it all and are too good for the team they are playing for. I have to also say that I like what Preston has done as a GM, but I certainly don't see what improvements he has made as a coach. Our pp stinks, they never play a 60 minute game, turnovers are brutally high, and no teamwork. I can handle not winning, that isn't the problem, it's the lackluster effort being put forward every night that is really what makes me not want to watch this team (but I still do).
Hey Local Guy you are the first guy to have the balls to say Luca is playing average. Good on you, but Luca will turn it around, He's a great player.
The ''small thoughts at large'' guy made a good point saying Luca may stay now that Eric is gone. We can't give up 2 veteran D-men, but I guess we'll see what happens.

moon
11-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Hey Local Guy you are the first guy to have the balls to say Luca is playing average. Good on you, but Luca will turn it around, He's a great player.
The ''small thoughts at large'' guy made a good point saying Luca may stay now that Eric is gone. We can't give up 2 veteran D-men, but I guess we'll see what happens.

If they don't move Luca then they are retarded.

This team is going nowhere right now and has a big void in the future of the team.

Luca may be playing "average" but that is only because he is the only legit defenceman on the team and the best offensive player.

Teams have seen what he can do in the play-offs and will pay for it.

This guy is one of the few players in the league that can change a game and series around. Don't think for a second that a handful of games for a crappy team changes that.

HAF
11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
As an Ams fan I really have to question this trade. The kid can't make an outlet pass to save his ass, forget skating the puck out of his own end! He was a pylon who would get beat up the middle time after time, shift after shift. It was a happy day for me the day we traded him to you guys!!! Now we get him back? AND it cost us a 2nd round pick? I'm hoping this is just the precursor to another move.

shushu
11-20-2009, 11:49 AM
when we trades fadden last year same thing, there has to be more to this than what we see....but who knows, one one thing i do know is eric has played better this year than when he came over to us from tri...he actually hits once and a while and is better in his own end than he was..given tri has a better team and is WAY better defencively he might not look to bad this year for you guys as a 4-6 dman........

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
As an Ams fan I really have to question this trade. The kid can't make an outlet pass to save his ass, forget skating the puck out of his own end! He was a pylon who would get beat up the middle time after time, shift after shift. It was a happy day for me the day we traded him to you guys!!! Now we get him back? AND it cost us a 2nd round pick? I'm hoping this is just the precursor to another move.

and has for quite a while. I too was surprised that we got a 2nd round pick for Mestery the Mystery, but the deal is a good one for the Canes. They moved a player who would not compete which is a bad influence on the younger d-men. Certainly with Mestery gone, it will give more ice time to Jackson and Ryckman both of whom have not looked out of place.

But as a few people have suggested, if the Canes can get a 2nd rounder for Mestery what will they get for Sbisa or Ashton? Preston could certainly have a stockpile of draft picks in 2010 along with a couple of good 16/17 year olds added to the roster. Sbisa most likely will be gone before the Christmas break as could Ashton.