PDA

View Full Version : What to do about attendance

Dwight Schrute
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/2009-12-05/article-206896/Fan-base-a-growing-Raider-concern/1

The attendance woes that have plagued the Prince Albert Raiders for the past two seasons are bordering on a make-or-break point.

That's the word from the man in the top seat, Raiders president Dale McFee.

"We're optimistic that it'll climb, but I think there's got to be a sense of urgency communicated to our fans," McFee said before Friday night's home game against the Brandon Wheat Kings.

"As a board and as a hockey club, we've taken many, many steps to try to become a more competitive team that is sustainable and competitive each night.

"For those fans that are coming out, a big thank you, and I think they're seeing the results of that (commitment). But, at the end of the day, to remain a viable operation in the Western Hockey League, you need a fan base, and you need attendance to show up each and every night, because that pays your bills."

The Raiders sport one of the best home records - 12-4-1 after a loss to the Wheat Kings - in the 22-team league and they're clearly in the competitive mix in the Eastern Conference.

The team's attendance numbers, however, are a glaring black mark on an otherwise promising season. In their first 13 home dates, the Raiders attracted a league-low average of 2,028 fans, or 78.6 per cent of capacity. That represented a 2.7 per cent drop from the same period last season.

Step right up

It's an ominous sign when, half an hour before the game, there's not only no lineup at the box office, there's literally no one at the Art Hauser Centre ticket windows. That was the case Wednesday night, when just 1,759 fans showed up to watch the Raiders defeat the Swift Current Broncos.

That followed a turnout of 1,898 fans last Saturday for a 6-1 win over the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Although attendance is down across the league, the shortfall is especially alarming for the Raiders because they've suffered significant financial losses in each of the past two years. The community-owned team has lost more than $200,000 during that period.

"You're talking a couple of years," McFee replied when asked how long the Raiders can continue to operate under such circumstances.

"You can't continue to sustain losses. The beauty of being a community-owned team is we don't have to make a lot of money, but we have to pay our bills. That's the reality of it.

"All of our bills are being paid right now. But, at the end of the year, if we don't increase attendance, we run the risk of running deficits."

McFee and the Raiders are hopeful that the team's historic past, which included a Memorial Cup championship in 1985, can trigger fan resurgence in what they like to call Hockey Town North.

"The reality is that a lot of those (supporters) have moved on - or passed on, some of them," he said. "Our fan base is obviously seniors, and we still have a large portion of seniors, but we need to attract the younger markets."

Younger demographic sought

Coming off a couple of non-playoff years, the team has 1,477 season-ticket holders. The Raiders say they need more than 2,200 fans nightly to break even in one of the league's smallest markets.

With about 800 kids playing minor hockey in Prince Albert, that's a potential fan base that coach and general manager Bruno Campese believes can be tapped further.

"We have tried some different things, to be a little bit more family friendly, changing our start time (to 7 p.m., half an hour earlier)," Campese said.

"We're trying to play a little more of an up-tempo type game to create more energy. So, I don't think it has anything to do with our play, and yet our crowds are significantly the same (as last season) It's somewhat disappointing."

The reasons for the fans staying away have run the gamut - from harvest time to Christmas parties, and from fine fall weather to cold winter nights, but the reality is that enough fans haven't showed up at the rink.

"The one thing I do want to mention is that we have a real loyal fan base," Campese said. "The 1,800 that we see here consistently every night - it's loyal, it's smart (and) it's passionate.

"And we're not that far off - we're 300 or 400 fans a night from actually being in a very good position. That's one thing we need to recognize.

"This is a community-owned team. It's not a privately owned team, so as far as revenue and showing a profit, no one is trying to pad their back pockets here."

Attendance figures generally increase after Christmas, but the unfortunate part of that equation is that the Raiders play just 14 regular-season home games in the new year.

Dwight Schrute
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
2nd Half Season Tickets Now Available!
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders are pleased to announce the introduction of the 2nd Half Season Ticket for the 2010 portion of the 2009-10 regular season. Fans can now purchase season tickets for the 14 home games in the months of January, February and March!
The 14 home games start with the Friday, January 8th game against the Lethbridge Hurricanes and conclude on Saturday, March 13th against the Saskatoon Blades. Fans will be able to pick the seat that they want, depending on availability and receive the first right to that seat for any WHL playoff action this season, as well as first right to a ticket to any other Art Hauser Centre events.
Here are the 2nd Half Season Ticket prices:
Prime Seating
Adult: $190 (13.57 per game)
Senior/Student /Child: $170 (12.15 per game)
Family Seating
Adult: $170
Senior/Student: $145 (10.35 pet ticket)
Child: $90 (6.43)
All Plus GST
“This is similar to an initiative we introduced in the 2003-04 season to boost season ticket numbers in the second half of the season, and had success”, commented Bruce Vance, Director of Marketing and Media Relations. “It is certainly not something that we do on a regular basis, but one way we aim to increase our attendance numbers over the second half of the season.”
2nd Half Season Tickets are now available at the Raider office Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM. These tickets must be paid for in full at time of purchase.

walk up price is
adult 16
student 13
child 7

season tix reg prices are :
adult 463 prime (12.86 per game) 378 fam seating (10.50 per)
student/senior 403 prime (11.19) 333 fam (9.25)
child 385 prime (10.70) 205 family (5.70)

Dwight Schrute
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
brandon is 325 (175 for 18 and under)
regina is 350 (under 18 is 140)
saskatoon is 400 (under 18 is 150)
mj is 420 youth 290 under 12 is 125
swift is rather confusing

if the raiders went to one solid rate it may help. brandons prices are awesome. if pa did 350 per adult 200 per child and 275 seniors would it sell more tickets ? there was a comment on the herald site about the old raider booster club, starting that up again would be a great idea. mining some local talent ? the hockey is good but id hate to see the team leave.

EOK1
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I have family in PA so I came from Leduc to watch the tie breaker game last year and to be honest, it was a pathetic value. How do you have prime seating in a 2500 seat building?

Ticket prices are too much, the entertainment on the ice has been improved (but it will take more than 1 season) and the entertainment outside of the ice was pretty generic.

I noticed the last time I was in there, no kids club, no booster club, no fan buses, the ticket prices are too much for a losing team, sorry but you can't expect people to continue to fork out dollars when people may have better things to spend their money on. There is more to life than hockey and instead of crying continuously about the attendance, embrace those who do go to the games and just worry about the product on the ice. You can't force the issue.

Some of the people on the board have rubbed people the wrong way and Bruce Vance needs to be shipped out. Some new blood and new ideas are needed. But how convinced can the fans in PA be that after this 1 magical season ends, will another 5 treacherous seasons emerge?

Brandon has a good thing going right now with their promotions.

WestLEAFfan
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Not trying to stir up trouble here, but maybe Bruce Vance needs to be replaced? Just a thought.

Dwight Schrute
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
is that kendra chick still there ? she can draw a crowd :laugh:

SaskHockeyFan
12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
is that kendra chick still there ? she can draw a crowd :laugh:

Kendra left with a player a couple of years ago.

MVNWriter23
12-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I think working with the Youth Organizations is a big must, also...the occasional contest doesn't hurt. I live in a hockey no-man's land in the U.S., but the minor league team in our area still draws respectable crowds because they make it fun to be there. Not crazy, every second filled in with some garbage, but a fun enough environment.

Yet winning does cure everything, and the fans are likely staying away because they figure the organization will just find another way to lose. Sad to hear though.

Dwight Schrute
12-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Kendra left with a player a couple of years ago.

lol i wondered about that

SaskHockeyFan
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
No doubt. She added some interest to the intermissions for sure. Never knew if she would fall on those heels on the ice or not.

nthestands
12-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I think that people in this community just need to quit being so cheap and get out of the house once in a while. You cant blame it on the on ice performance or lack of energy. The on ice product is the best in town and even when the guys in green lose, it is good hockey. This is a sport and you have to realize that only one team can win.
I go to the games to see both teams play and enjoy watching all the talent from across the league as some of these kids go on to the nhl. This is the only time I will ever get to see them play for a mere 15 bucks.I get to go to 36 games for less than going to two nhl games and these kids are triing a lot harder then those nhl guys!I dont really understand the prime seating though and I think that they should drop that. It adds confusion and there is not a bad seat in a 2500 seat rink. Maybe in a rink that had a second level, but not in the AHC.
I dont see how getting rid of bruce would help other than to add one more parking space at the rink, that guy devotes a lot of time and energy into triing to get corporate,business and public support. He could use a couple new game night intermission promos though.
I think the best solution is to do more promotions within the city any give out tickets to people who haven't gone to a game in years. Send tickets to hockey clubs and their parents, give them out at local sports stores,give them to schools. Dont be cheap and try to get something for them like free tickets for the kids if you buy a adult ticket. Give the tickets away because a empty seat is no good anyway. Fill up the rink! I dont care if the guy beside me got his ticket for free. Even free admission people spend money on conncessions and souveneirs. If they come back and pay for another game then it is worth it.
I got four tickets given to me five years ago from a local business who had season tickets and couldn't go. I have had four season tickets for four years now and the four people beside me got to be season ticket holders the same way.

nthestands
12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, they should try what ever it takes but i now that empty seats dont pay the bills and they don't make for a lively crowd either. The more people that come to the rink, then the place becomes a exciting atmosphere and people will come back.It is depressing when you go there and one whole section is empty. When the rink is full, there is no better barn in the league. If they do this, it would have to be full scale for the start. If you only give out 100 tickets,that wont cut it. Try to fill all the seats to make the place come alive and they will come back.

Dwight Schrute
12-13-2009, 01:44 AM
lol get tim hortons to make the coffee instead , 5 years back the gm of galaxy theatre wanted to team up and do a promo with the raiders , something along the lines of a ticket to the raider game + a ticket to any late show movie + a 20% off concession voucher at both venues for 22$ (weekend games).
the idea was to get more people in the doors. concession is such a goldmine too. people want bang for their buck. the raider booster club would be a big thing. hmmm maybe next time the players go to a school they should toss out some free kids ticket vouchers...... then the adults would buy a ticket to join them, and probably get concession too

Razz
12-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Not trying to stir up trouble here, but maybe Bruce Vance needs to be replaced? Just a thought.

Too be honest I think somebody else needs replaced. If Zemlak wasn't on this team they'd be near the bottom. Figure this . Why did they get rid of the head scout? Not his fault Penner never panned and other picks don't get developed properly because the lack of ice time. Fact. Then management make these trades for d-men who can't skate in this league. ***! You guys have that Aasman kid, who never plays on the pp and probably one of the nicest skaters and smarter players in the league for his age. He didnt go 7th overall and 2nd dman for nothing. You have to learn to lose before you learn to win. I admire the Tigers head coach and other teams, they put young guys out in key situations late in a game. "That's how you build confidence, character and respect. Maybe the Raiders coaching staff can learn from that on how to build a winning franchise. Seems to me the staff likes players that drop the mitts but in the new rules of the game it won't cut it. We as fans come to watch fast skilled hockey that beat traps. Not cumbersome hockey.

Like any business you have to start with management and clean house to be successful.

Good luck

westbeach55
12-15-2009, 01:07 AM
you must not attend too many games, yes zemlak as been good and stole some games but i can't remember watching so many games were we have won by multiple goals including two games with free golf passes for scoring more than 7 goals. we have 7 players with over 30 points so far in the season and we need to clean house the raiders are going in the right direction it will take some time to win some fans back but with the economy right now every team is feeling it, even the world juniors arn't sold out yet if you talk to anyone at the games they will tell you the product on the ice is the best its been in years

Wildeyes
12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Too be honest I think somebody else needs replaced. If Zemlak wasn't on this team they'd be near the bottom. Figure this . Why did they get rid of the head scout? Not his fault Penner never panned . You have to learn to lose before you learn to win.
Like any business you have to start with management and clean house to be successful.

Good luck

Every scout in the league told our scouting team no to pick penner he is a head case so the axe did fall on the right guy.

But you have to lose to win is not accurate PA has had a bout with losing teams over the past few years People are fed up with losing year after year. We finally have a good hockey team but a bad year to do it in. Med hat has oil around the city

Prince albert had the mill which closed that is the leading factor with the Raiders right now PA second industry is the Jail systems. What should need to happen is we need to get rid of prime seating lower ticket prices bring in a family deal not just for the 2 kids and 2 adults most families have 3 kids

I like what Swift Current is doing with ticket sales

Early Bird Single Game Ticket Pricing

Adult $10.00
Student 13 years to University $ 6.00
Child 12 & Under $ 4.00
Pre-School *no seat FREE

They are set in one area but if you buy your ticket before 5pm on a game day you get cheap seats

CanesCrazy
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
We are dealing with some low attendance here too. It is disappointing to go to the games and see so many empty seats. I think the Hurricanes ticket prices are way to high but then again it didn't stop the fans from attending games last season. I wish fans were fans. Not just fans when the wins are piling up. I don't think we will ever see that in the WHL though.

Razz
12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
you must not attend too many games, yes zemlak as been good and stole some games but i can't remember watching so many games were we have won by multiple goals including two games with free golf passes for scoring more than 7 goals. we have 7 players with over 30 points so far in the season and we need to clean house the raiders are going in the right direction it will take some time to win some fans back but with the economy right now every team is feeling it, even the world juniors arn't sold out yet if you talk to anyone at the games they will tell you the product on the ice is the best its been in years
Whats with these new d-men and their skating ability. Also how many road games the Raiders have coming up? Oh yeah more than most teams.

Razz
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Every scout in the league told our scouting team no to pick penner he is a head case so the axe did fall on the right guy.

But you have to lose to win is not accurate PA has had a bout with losing teams over the past few years People are fed up with losing year after year. We finally have a good hockey team but a bad year to do it in. Med hat has oil around the city

Prince albert had the mill which closed that is the leading factor with the Raiders right now PA second industry is the Jail systems. What should need to happen is we need to get rid of prime seating lower ticket prices bring in a family deal not just for the 2 kids and 2 adults most families have 3 kids

I like what Swift Current is doing with ticket sales

Early Bird Single Game Ticket Pricing

Adult $10.00
Student 13 years to University $ 6.00
Child 12 & Under $ 4.00
Pre-School *no seat FREE

They are set in one area but if you buy your ticket before 5pm on a game day you get cheap seats

I've been around the game 47 seasons as a player, long time coach. From my experience anyone including players like Penner can be dealt with. You have to know how to get into their head on a positive, kinda like being a parental psychologist, like the NHL have. But why hang on to a 1st rounder (if that bad) and not release him? It hurts the team as they ended up getting a 12th round swap I believe. If he and the staff did butt heads at least trade him. He probably would have like to play somewhere else. Maybe the coach was a dick to him and he stood his ground. I know I wouldn't want to go to work for a dick.

Cheers for Swift Current and what they are up to with ticket prices. Maybe PA (and more teams) will follow or will they let the staff make that decision to hang on like they did with Penner and hurt in the end? Lets hope not.

Good Luck

nthestands
12-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Too be honest I think somebody else needs replaced. If Zemlak wasn't on this team they'd be near the bottom. Figure this . Why did they get rid of the head scout? Not his fault Penner never panned and other picks don't get developed properly because the lack of ice time. Fact. Then management make these trades for d-men who can't skate in this league. ***! You guys have that Aasman kid, who never plays on the pp and probably one of the nicest skaters and smarter players in the league for his age. He didnt go 7th overall and 2nd dman for nothing. You have to learn to lose before you learn to win. I admire the Tigers head coach and other teams, they put young guys out in key situations late in a game. "That's how you build confidence, character and respect. Maybe the Raiders coaching staff can learn from that on how to build a winning franchise. Seems to me the staff likes players that drop the mitts but in the new rules of the game it won't cut it. We as fans come to watch fast skilled hockey that beat traps. Not cumbersome hockey.

Good luck

LOL, If zemlak wasnt on the team we'd be at the bottom! I see a team playing out there, not any individuals. Scoring by committee and some solid d with a few exceptions. Whose this Penner guy, he hasn't played here in years. Maybe if we gave him a hug and his blanket to cuddle, he would still be here and we would be shorthanded for ten more minutes a game. "lose to win" is almost as funny as "if your not first, your last". I've never heard of a coach being happy that his team lost cause they were learning how to win. If the players were not getting developed,then we would have seen other teams pounding us in the mid season like years past. The team improves with each game gone by and continues to be a challenging opponent for every team in the whl. I'm sure if all the stuff you said here takes place, it should bring maybe 1 more person to the game. That person being only you. I don't understand why everyone blames the staff for people not coming to the games when they have done their part, now it time for the people of PA to do theirs. I dont know how any of this is going to help attendance for the team with the most home wins in the league. Winning/losing doesn't seem to make a good excuse anymore.

Razz
12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
LOL, If zemlak wasnt on the team we'd be at the bottom! I see a team playing out there, not any individuals. Scoring by committee and some solid d with a few exceptions. Whose this Penner guy, he hasn't played here in years. Maybe if we gave him a hug and his blanket to cuddle, he would still be here and we would be shorthanded for ten more minutes a game. "lose to win" is almost as funny as "if your not first, your last". I've never heard of a coach being happy that his team lost cause they were learning how to win. If the players were not getting developed,then we would have seen other teams pounding us in the mid season like years past. The team improves with each game gone by and continues to be a challenging opponent for every team in the whl. I'm sure if all the stuff you said here takes place, it should bring maybe 1 more person to the game. That person being only you. I don't understand why everyone blames the staff for people not coming to the games when they have done their part, now it time for the people of PA to do theirs. I dont know how any of this is going to help attendance for the team with the most home wins in the league. Winning/losing doesn't seem to make a good excuse anymore.

Obviously some great logical facts you put forth. About "filling the stands" all comes down to marketing and a winning team (usually) if they are exciting to watch. Someone else had a great point about ticket prices dropping in Swift Current to fill seats. The dozen or so games I've seen PA this year have not impressed me to much. Campese does run a short bench and they are usually trying to hang on in the 3rd. It's early in the year, let's see how they do on the road after Christmas if Zemlak and the short bench faves won't be burnt out as the season wears on. The fact is Yes Zemlak has kept PA in a bunch of games (good for him & the team). Tough thing is you guys are in a predicament next year and don't see it, just like the PA management.

nthestands
12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
You show me one team which isn't in a predicament next year, and the year after.... Every team has players which are graduating and new ones stepping up. This year was supposed to be the year we were in a predicament and finish dead last. Thats quite a slide from where we are now, not to say it doesn't happen but odds are not. Mediocre goaltending, poor defense and nobody who can put the puck in the net. The kids stepped up to the challenge just the same as in the past. Next year the youger guys will be one year older and all the older guys will be moving on. If you know who next years scoring leader is, let me know. This years scoring leader wont even be playing in this league next year!

Dwight Schrute
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Off topic but Ryan Harrison was left out of the top prospects game . Hopefully he is one of the reserves if someone can't play because he deserves to be in that game.

more then hamilton

Joe Hallenback
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
It is a shame about your attendence because I think you have a fun team to watch this year and for years to come

Mark Stone was left off the squad as well