PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Bruins 0 Dec 9 2009

dondo
12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Curious if the Bruins fans felt as if they got a fair shake form the refs in this one, considering I was complaining about the refs in the other two games. The early penalties hurt them and despite doing his best to hold his team in there, Gamble was forced to face a lot of shots. Gallagher continues to feast on the Bruins (similar to how Howse feasts on the Giants) and now leads the team in goals. Segal got his first shut-out as a Giant. By all accounts thouhg the Giants were still not great breaking out their own end of the ice, but they limited shots and I suspect hustling harder to the loose pucks than they did the past two games.

Giants Blank Bruins
Vancouver 5 Chilliwack 0

Don Robinson

Only managed to listen to a bit of this one, so this is more or less a box score recap. Some of the oddest stats on the WHL website is that the Giants only had 1 shot in the third scoring on Chilliwack’s back-up tender, after Braden Gamble was a pulled in the second intermission. I’d be curious to hear how the boys played the third. Mark Segal gets his first shut-out as a Giant losing some of those moments of lack of focus we have seen since he was called up to the team. He was only forced to stop 17 shots for the donut, but stoned wide-open sniper Ryan Howse for one of those shots. The Giants pounded the Chilliwack net with 21 shots in the first managing to squeak only one by Gamble, on the PP. Brendan Gallagher got the Giants first two goals. JT Barnett broke his 10 game scoring slump with a tally of his own and rookie D-man Zach Hodder managed a goal and a helper in the contest. Garry Nunn scored his 4th of the campaign on the Giants lone third period shot.

The Giants finally bounced back after losing two straight to the Chilliwack Bruins. Gallagher opened the scoring in the first on the PP, getting one to go past Gamble who was holding his team in there despite facing a ton of rubber in the opening frame. Craig Cunningham and Hodder got the helpers on the play. The first was all Giants with the Bruins getting into penalty trouble early. The G-Men were bound and determined not to get caught by this team again and came out firing everything toward the Bruins net. They ended the period with 21 shots to the Bruins 7. Gallagher scored again in the second, off of some great work by David Musil and James Henry, putting his team up by two early in the middle frame. JT Barnett broke his 9 game scoring slump, after coming out like gangbusters to start the season, getting one past Gamble. Henry got the lone helper on the play. Hodder tallied a PP marker with 3 seconds left in the period. Gallagher and Bouma notched the assists.

Looking at the shot totals, the Giants played a very conservative third period. This kind of play has burned them already this season as they have let big leads slip in the final frame, so them sitting back doesn’t comfort me. I think team’s should continue to do what gave them their success and not lose energy for themselves and the building by laying back in the third and sending in one fore-checker. I think they might have been very lucky that the Bruins didn’t get one in the final stanza. Looking at the stats it seems the Bruins weren’t ready for this kind of onslaught and couldn’t seem to get back into the game once they were down, kind of like the Giants on Sunday. This years Giants team plays well with the lead, but there is still a fragility there that is disconcerting. They needed this kind of game, to be able to go in with the lead and shut the door to give them a bit of confidence in future games.

The Giants out shot the Bruins 34-17. They went 2 for 6 on the PP, while holding the Bruins to 0 for 4. It was good to see players like Hodder and Barnett step back up to the plate and get some much needed secondary scoring. The Giants need much more than their top guys going to have consistent success. Oddly the BC Division is looking to be the worst in the league so far, so being at the top is not necessarily indicate of this team’s ranking cross the WHL. The Giants have a couple of days off before taking on the struggling Kamloops Blazers in a home at home series starting Friday at the Coliseum. The boys will need to continue to press, while trying to stay out of the penalty box. The puck drops at 7:30pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Brendan Gallagher
2. James Henry
3. Mark Segal