PDA

View Full Version : big deal for wheaties

ndogg_44
12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Brandon has aquired Shane wiebe for jordan depape !!!Wut people think of depape

booboo
12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Seems like they gave up a lot to get a 19 year old forward. Offence is not Brandon's problem so I do not think this trade addresses their greatest needs--a goaltender or a big time d-man. Thoughts anyone?vc124

Allin44
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Seems like they gave up a lot to get a 19 year old forward. Offence is not Brandon's problem so I do not think this trade addresses their greatest needs--a goaltender or a big time d-man. Thoughts anyone?vc124

Precursor to another trade that is going to see Glennie go?

Trevor
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't mind this trade. It's not nice to see a 17 y/o go, but Weibe can really solidify our bottom 6, which at times has seemed shaky. And perhaps he can shore up the PK a bit.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
12-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Would the WheatKings move either of their Euro's to get Sbisa and Rowat? Or do you think they will be going after Jung (as Edmonton has taken a huge nose dive)?

:groovy:
NOTE TO ALL GOALTENDERS: DON'T LAY YOUR STICK ON THE GOAL LINE IN HOPES OF STOPPING AN EMPTY NET GOAL!

Boltz9
12-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Would the WheatKings move either of their Euro's to get Sbisa and Rowat? Or do you think they will be going after Jung (as Edmonton has taken a huge nose dive)?

:groovy:
NOTE TO ALL GOALTENDERS: DON'T LAY YOUR STICK ON THE GOAL LINE IN HOPES OF STOPPING AN EMPTY NET GOAL!

I could possibly see the Sbisa thing happening, but I don't think Rowat would be much of an improvement over our situation right now. I liked the thought of getting Jung at the start of the year but his numbers aren't looking very good this year (I understand he's on a struggling team), and I like what I see from all the overagers. Not sure if anyone else thinks this but in my opinion Rajala is starting to become a bit of a liability. Obviously he has a great shot and great vision, but when he doesn't shoot the puck he tends to cough it up alot. And he still shy's away from the puck when its anywhere near the boards. Just my observation.

On another note what does everyone see the lines being once Schenn and Glennie get back, assuming there are no trades till after that?

Calvert - Schenn - Glennie
Lewadniuk - Fehr - Rajala
Ferland - Wiebe - Stone
Hale - Van de Velde - Ciarelli

That looks like a really deep offence but is Wiebe too skilled to be on a third line?

wheaties89
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
i dont mind those top 9 at all. wouldnt mind throwing an agiator or something on the 4th line to mix things up a bit. we need hamonic, hopefully they start losing and drop out of the race. our draft picks should all be in play and wilson, walker, swyripa can all be invloved in a package deal but we need another big impact dman

Joe Hallenback
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Excellent pickup for the Wheaties. Wiebe is already a great player in this league and having this guy on on our third line will make us very tough to match up with. It is good to see a local guy come back home and have a chance to play the memorial cup.

I am sad to see Depape go. He was starting to find his stride a bit and he will be a very good player in this league but you have to give up something to get something.

fyi. Brandon will never trade one of their Euros. Both are playing really well so it is not like we have one that is under performing. Also you will send the wrong message to any future euros you want to come over. That is something Brandon can ill afford to have happen.

One guy I had talked to was pretty adamant that Wiebe was coming to the Wheaties. He was also pretty sure Hamonic was coming here as well but the deal breaker there was Stone was going to Moose Jaw which something I would HATE to happen.

Crush Kill Destroy
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Excellent pickup for the Wheaties. Wiebe is already a great player in this league and having this guy on on our third line will make us very tough to match up with. It is good to see a local guy come back home and have a chance to play the memorial cup.

I am sad to see Depape go. He was starting to find his stride a bit and he will be a very good player in this league but you have to give up something to get something.

fyi. Brandon will never trade one of their Euros. Both are playing really well so it is not like we have one that is under performing. Also you will send the wrong message to any future euros you want to come over. That is something Brandon can ill afford to have happen.

One guy I had talked to was pretty adamant that Wiebe was coming to the Wheaties. He was also pretty sure Hamonic was coming here as well but the deal breaker there was Stone was going to Moose Jaw which something I would HATE to happen.

There would be very little reason to acquire Wiebe for the purpose of strengthening your 3rd line, if you are going to turn around and trade Mark Stone.

Stone is a top-flight, size-large, contributing 17-year old. I think if McCrimmon makes a play for a high-end defenceman, he has to offer picks and/or non-roster prospects (of which he has quite a few).

witness
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I thought that Brandon would be looking for more help on the back end. I thought 4 of the 5 games that I watched Brandon play this year that that 3rd line was the best line. Much better after Stone came back.
If Brandon trades Stone, it better be for an elite game buster player. I think the kid is a dynamite player.

Joe Hallenback
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Which is why it would be a deal breaker. I don't think the Wheaties have Stone up for sale to anyone

I am not sure what Moose Jaw will do. They are a decent team but they haven't been very good in their last 10 games.

I think they will be a top team next season and if they can add some more depth via trading Hamonic I think they should do it but then again I am being selfish as a Wheat Kings fan.

Section Eight
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Wiebe is much faster than Fehr, has better hands than Lewadniuk, and is much more responsibile in his own end than Fehr, Lewadniuk or Rajala. I'm not so certain Kelly won't find a way to get this kid somewhere in the top 6 mix.

I could possibly see the Sbisa thing happening, but I don't think Rowat would be much of an improvement over our situation right now. I liked the thought of getting Jung at the start of the year but his numbers aren't looking very good this year (I understand he's on a struggling team), and I like what I see from all the overagers. Not sure if anyone else thinks this but in my opinion Rajala is starting to become a bit of a liability. Obviously he has a great shot and great vision, but when he doesn't shoot the puck he tends to cough it up alot. And he still shy's away from the puck when its anywhere near the boards. Just my observation.

On another note what does everyone see the lines being once Schenn and Glennie get back, assuming there are no trades till after that?

Calvert - Schenn - Glennie
Lewadniuk - Fehr - Rajala
Ferland - Wiebe - Stone
Hale - Van de Velde - Ciarelli

That looks like a really deep offence but is Wiebe too skilled to be on a third line?

Boltz9
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Wiebe is much faster than Fehr, has better hands than Lewadniuk, and is much more responsibile in his own end than Fehr, Lewadniuk or Rajala. I'm not so certain Kelly won't find a way to get this kid somewhere in the top 6 mix.

Ya thats why I said he is too talented to be in the bottom 6. But do you break up the chemistry that the second line has? Or do you trade away one of Fehr or Lewadniuk in order to bring in either an overage defenceman or goalie?

Section Eight
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah it's a good question. In any other year I think you go with what you've got but we probably need to improve by one additional forward (to play with Stone and Wiebe (call it whatever line you want but I'd call it good ...) a physical d-man, or two and I think we're M Cup ready. That could impact line make-up in a big way yet ...

There's been a lot of talk about goaltending but I don't see the Kelly doing anything in that regard for three reasons; De Serres is looking like he might be getting his game back, Hayes is capable (but I see him backing up come January/February), and there just isn't much out there that would make you say wow.

All the talk about our two Euro's being on the block is off base ... both have been very good! The speculation on Glennie going to Regina or (?) now that I'm not so sure of ...

Ya thats why I said he is too talented to be in the bottom 6. But do you break up the chemistry that the second line has? Or do you trade away one of Fehr or Lewadniuk in order to bring in either an overage defenceman or goalie?

Joe Hallenback
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't see them changing the lines right now. Especially how well the top 2 lines are playing. I can see Wiebe playing on the PP though. It is one area that we can use some help in amazingly enough.

patsdude114
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks like a soild deal for the Wheaties, it would not surprise me 1 bit if kelly moves Lewadniuk. He is not a top 20 yr old in this league by any means i could totally see him being moved with a goalie to get Jung out of Edmonton. Yes Jung's numbers arnt great but he plays on a horrible Oil Kings team that also has Raedeke on the martket as well.... maybe a deal for both those players & all of a sudden Brandon has great depth and top notch goalie.

Boltz9
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Looks like a soild deal for the Wheaties, it would not surprise me 1 bit if kelly moves Lewadniuk. He is not a top 20 yr old in this league by any means i could totally see him being moved with a goalie to get Jung out of Edmonton. Yes Jung's numbers arnt great but he plays on a horrible Oil Kings team that also has Raedeke on the martket as well.... maybe a deal for both those players & all of a sudden Brandon has great depth and top notch goalie.

I respectfully disagree on Lewadniuk, he was as of a couple days ago second in the league in +/- with a +22. Since the overage deadline he has been getting points at a huge pace. I think he is underrated, just like I think Calvert is really underrated and underappreciated which probably has something to do with his linemates.

lordstanley
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Wiebe another player i wanted the Blades to get but missed out again Lorne better do something quick cause Brandon is gonna fly fast the Blades in no time Blades need a game breaker in the worst way Congrats on a solid pick up

Wheatie Pete
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I heard KM was wanting Weibe and Bubnick in that trade. Watch for a possible 2nd trade with them. Also heard KM was inquireing about Kruemper and Archer in Red Deer. That said I think our forwards are set and possibly our goalies too.
On my defensive wish list I have 1) Jared Cowen ( not likely) 2) Haminck 3)Brayden McNabb Kootnay 4) Teubert (also not likely)

Crush Kill Destroy
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

In terms of overage scoring, Lewadniuk is 4th in the league--behind his teammates Calvert (1st), Fehr (3rd), and Tiger Bretton Cameron (2nd). He is 13th overall in league scoring.

Lewadniuk is also 2nd overall in the WHL in plus/minus at +24.

I'd certainly suggest that he is one of the top 20-year olds in the league, by any means that you wish to use for measurement.

Scott
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
This is a great pickup for Bdn.looking forward to this weekend's home and home.

pensfan87
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Weibe is to good for the third line you gotta think there is another deal in the workings but we will have such depth now. If you look at fehr lewie and rajala one of the reasons they put up so many points is they are playing against teams second lines. not saying they are not good they have been amazing together all 3 of them. Now our 3rd line is starting to shape up to be a top line while playing against rookies on other teams you just cant match that. get me a solid d man or 2 and we are set.

Boltz9
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
In terms of overage scoring, Lewadniuk is 4th in the league--behind his teammates Calvert (1st), Fehr (3rd), and Tiger Bretton Cameron (2nd). He is 13th overall in league scoring.

Lewadniuk is also 2nd overall in the WHL in plus/minus at +24.

I'd certainly suggest that he is one of the top 20-year olds in the league, by any means that you wish to use for measurement.

Exactly my point, thats pretty amazing that our 3 overagers are in the top 4 of overage scoring.

Razz
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Leave the chemistry alone.

dagley
12-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I love this trade, that third line is terrific Boltz...Wieber can score, and proven he can put the puck in the net

pensfan87
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
hopefully our third line will be ferland weibe and stone