PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Matt Robinson to Regina for Dustin Slade

Kassian
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Giants trade Robinson for feisty Regina Pats goalie Slade

Steve Ewen

The Province

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

It appears that the Marek Schwarz days are over with the Vancouver Giants, considering the Dustin Slade days are about to begin.

There's a trade embargo in the WHL until Thursday morning, but the Giants will announce a deal then that sees them pick up netminder Slade from the Regina Pats for speedy winger Matt Robinson.

Giants general manager Scott Bonner couldn't be reached for comment Monday, but Robinson, 19, confirmed the swap and said he's already spoken with Regina brass.

Schwarz, the Czech import who was Vancouver's starting netminder this past season, had yet to inform the Giants whether or not he was returning for next year, and with several teams looking for go-to goaltenders, Bonner jumped at the chance to nab Slade.

"It's weird, but it's OK," said Robinson, who had 11 goals and 30 points in 45 games with Vancouver this year. "With all the overages coming back, I knew they were going to have to do something. I'm very happy with how I was treated in Vancouver.

"I am also looking forward to going to Regina. I think I could get to play a big role with them."

Slade, 18, is an interesting study. The quick and agile Penticton native is capable of stealing games. He's also had a penchant for penalties, including starting a brawl with the Giants this season by hammering tough guy Triston Grant in the back of the head repeatedly.

That, along with his complaints about Regina's lacklustre talent level, led to run-ins with general manager Brent Parker, and he sent Slade home in January. Slade finished the year with the BCHL's Surrey Eagles, where he stayed out of trouble.

The Giants could go with both Slade and Schwarz, 19, but neither would be keen on sharing time. Schwarz has offers to play pro in the Czech Republic and he has a longtime girlfriend there.

sewen@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2005

Kassian
05-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I found out Schwarz wasn't going to return to the Giants yesterday and I wondered if there would be a trade in the works. Didn't take too long.

Now we should all remember Slade. Just think back to the Regina game earlier this season when Triston Grant cross checked him in the head and started to pound on him.

Luckily for us, that Slade seems to be in the past. No doubt Slade still has a temper but he played great for Surrey in the BCHL especially during the playoffs. Up until he got injured of course. He if can play like that consistantly, it could turn out to be a good trade for us.

Best of luck to Robinson. If he can play like he did during the last few games of the season and the playoffs for Regina, then he should fit in just fine.

Beaner
05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, I'm not surprised to see Robinson get traded, as the Giants have an over abundance of 20 year olds.

If Slade can keep his cool and stay focused on hockey then this should be a good deal for the Giants in the long run. With Sexsmith as the backup it should be a good goaltending tandem for the Giants.

I'm surprised Schwarz isn't coming back, but I guess the rumors of him staying in Europe are true after all. If he does stay there that will leave us with yet another 2 new Euros for next year, as I cant Meszaros coming back either. One of these years I'd like to see our euros stay more than 1 season.

rinkrat
05-03-2005, 05:36 PM
do you see this as a sign that Cunning will be back?
Btw,I just watched a tape of Grant beating the beejesus outta Slade! I missed that game...doh!

Hitmen1
05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
There is no doubt that Slade is a very capable goalie, it all rests on whether he can keep calm and control his temper. There was lots of talk around the Hitmen near the trade deadline that Slade was the tender Kisio was trying to get, but we ended up with Pogge instead who was very good for the Hitmen.

Flathead
05-04-2005, 11:12 PM
This kid has the potential to be a dominate goalie at all levels, he's awesome. For his sake and the Giants, I hope he can pull it together and keep his temper in check.

Jovorock
05-05-2005, 05:39 AM
This is a steal for the Giants, getting rid of a extra twenty year old for a very good goalie with a attitude problem. If Hay can get his head in the right direction this is a steal. If Slade goes nuts and they have to dump him then they haven't given up much to get him.

Beaner
05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
It's official Robinson and a 2005 5th round pick for Slade.